You can easily find a reason to hate a close friend, but it is difficult to find reason to like anyone. - me!!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What is TRUE KNOWLEGE

User Thread
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is TRUE KNOWLEGE
For all those philosophers out there you might have come across the phrase 'there is no such thing as true knowlege'.
I would like to know other peoples opinion on what is true knowlege.

"I hungry"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How do we KNOW there is no such thing as true knowledge?
(An annoying but apt question)

I believe there are 'givens'. Things that one intrinsically knows, but can never convey to another as true. It takes the other person to conform that information themself.

One given, which encompasses much, is memory. Although, there are conditions which severely limit memory, we tend to still be able to function somehow (eg. speech to convey one's lack of memory).

I haven't pursued the idea of givens much, but from them we may deduce what is likely, and roughly how likely some things may known. I could say the Lakers are a good basketball team, and many people would agree.

Some things are seemingly truer for some people than for others. I might say Barack Obama is a good president, but some people may disagree.

Some things seem only true when we're in an altered mind state. I could say, in a dream, that I like flying, but when I wake up, know that I never have flown.

True knowledge must then only be authentic when in a more believable mind state. Although, how do we know we are in such a mind state?

I could go on, but that's probably enough for now...

"There is no negative one..."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
True knowledge is numbers. Men lie, Women lie, numbers don't.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When Socrates went in search of the wisest person he went to all those people who were considered to be masters of knowledge. After speaking with them he found that there were things that they know a lot about, while there were other things of which they were very ignorant. He concluded that they were fools because they said that they were wise, but by not admitting that they didn't know about most things, and only a lot about a few matters, they were fools for not seeing their own ignorance.

True knowledge will probably never be found, it is something we can always work towards, but it isn't something we can ever foresee achieving. I'm not saying its impossible, merely that its improbable.

44yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that CheeChee is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is no certainty or bed-rock of truth for free-thinkers, if you want that sign-up for an Orthodox religion. Experience is the only truth.

36yrs • M •
Sinsileo is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
There are levels and categories to truth in the world of philosophy. Things you should look into are a priori & a posteriori, the works of Descartes and Kant, as well has simply reading wikipedia page on "truth."
As for my opinion, your question semantically asks about the truth of KNOWLEDGE. Knowledge, not necessarily being objective and self-sustaining truth but acquired experience and the ability to successfully predict outcomes in the environment. This a believe does exist.
You have knowledge and probability, and then you have truth. Two different things, one being much more rarer than the other.
The real trick here though is... truth being in existence without conscious will only become knowledge once it is understood, a child COULD understand it but often never develops.

"Cogito ergo sum"
What is TRUE KNOWLEGE
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy