We're not tools of the government or anyone else, fighting was the only thing I was good at, but atleast i always fought for what i beleived in. - Moonlightshadow
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is Jail a mild form of torture

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Obviously jail is supposed to be unpleasant. With that in mind is jail a mild form of torture?

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Depends how long a time you spend in jail.

"I hungry"
 35yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that vigil is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well I'd say since jail restricts your freedoms to live an actual life, yes it technically is. But I honestly don't think it is intentionally meant to torture people, as they still allow inmates to have an interest and still meet survival needs.

36yrs • M •
Is that not the purpose of jail. To right the wrongs that, that person did by say locking them in a cell. Putting them through something unpleasant relieves the wrong? Is that justice?

35yrs • F
Yes, I think taking away their natural right to live a more human life is justice. They do not have real freedom, because they took that freedom away from someone else. I think that is fair.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Vigil, you talk like you know.

Tell me, what has been your longest stretch?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • F
Never. And I've never known anyone in jail. It is just how I see it.

Please tell me where you think I have faltered in my view of it.

Actually, let me see. Presuming that I know what justice is, yes I can see that I have done that and that this was false of me to say. I wasn't really thinking when I used the word "justice" and for that I appologize. I do not believe that two wrongs make a right. If a person murders someone, nothing will every make that right. It is what it is. Who are we to say what fate they deserve?

But I guess what I was thinking when I wrote it, is that it is fair to seperate that person from the rest of society and that's what I see jail as doing. Just a means of protecting ourselves from those that would cause us harm. Rehabilitation for the culprit, if possible, would be ideal.

36yrs • M •
Exactly my point to those who have never been to jail they don't know what it is like. I personally have never been to jail besides the drunk tank once but its why i get disgusted when people are like lock this person up when the crime is non violent. Obviously violent criminals need to be put in jail.

But non violent criminals should be literally tortured for what they have done?

45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In whatever act was done to warrant jail time, someone was wronged. And that fact alone takes away the criminals right of any freedom or rights of a free person.

35yrs • M
How do you know they were wronged? Do you believe the judicial system so much? How much raw experience do you have in it?

Not to be offensive, but you seem a little naive here.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 45yrs • M •
I believe that trials are fair, and if said criminal is found guilty... they prolly are the culprit. I mean c'mon.... nothing is certain in this world except death and taxes.

However this thread is not about the judicial system nor my beliefs.

Back on topic.

35yrs • M
Thank you for using rational logic, sound examples, and a respect for someones attempt at Socratic thinking.

You are Good at this stuff.

I have learned a lot from your last post and I feel that you fully understand where I was coming from.

I deeply and sincerely apologize for straying the thread off topic and am also thankful for you timely and fair use of authority. I wish you came to this site more often.

I especially like the prime examples of how the judicial system is more than likely fair.

"I mean c'mon.... nothing is certain in this world except death and taxes."

I had a good and insightful experience in my life to share with you about jails and whether or not they are a mild form of torture, but I mean, c'mon.

Also, thank you for answering my direct questions to you, as a method of understanding you more as a person, so that I could engage in a more informed conversation with you.

"However this thread is not about the judicial system"

Are you seriously saying this? Are you seriously saying that this thread is NOT about the judicial system?

45yrs • M •
To answer your question....

quote:
is jail a mild form of torture?

Not....

quote:
Is the judicial system fair?

You're not sure what the topic is?

C'mon

In the future if you want to reply to anything I say, do not do it unless you have something to contribute.

58yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that MsLisa is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Now , c'mon, seriously restless mindd can you come an inch out of your bubble of authority. Or, has it gone to your head... Is this a way to treat people... And, tell me what I did wrong. I was sitting on the steps outside my apartment when the police came to another apartment. I was not in their way or anything... They told me to get up go in my appartment.I told them that I couldnt. walk right now that I had parkinsons.. They started to mock me and ridicule ne for lying . I told them to get my whellchair or my meds outta my appartment even with neighbors telling them they didnt listen
aAfter hour of cussing me. I was begging them to at least give me my meds,, What they decide to do , you didnt ask..Wewl 4 aof those cops decided to drag me down the stairs and handicuff my hands and leegs... What I say wrong??? they must had a reason huh.. After all that, they reason that they had came they gave up on ...One cop told me I'm getting sick of you. I replied I;m already sick of you that was my crime....That warranted them handicuffing and throwing me in back of paddy wagon. and trust me i went in on my face..They took me to a hospiyal known for its gun play in the lobby/.. They nurse came in and said look y better get up walk outta here or you will never...I could barely move they stilll had me chained to the bed,,,It wasn't like I had a record even to warrant this ...// And the nurses coouldnti they tell the stitcheess in my head fromm braibn surgeryor the batteries in my chest... They still accused me of faking... Finally, they put me in an office chair and pushed me to lockup///now I have severe parkinsons disease and I supposed to take my meds every two hrs. i was made to sit in a chairfor 12hrs. no medsand being mocked... When I got to court DA thought it was crazy. They charged me with resisting and battery on officier which even jugde laffed at but since i talked back they tried to stick me with the other...

You telll me who was wronged? And, how can you separate judicial systtem from the jail. When , if yoour lucky enough to pay off the judical system , your "stretch will be not as long if any

C'mon , bet you are a lil rich boy huh...I always thought you wise till now

35yrs • M
lol

ms lisa, thank you.

I was literally about to rant, but you've saved me the trouble. lol

"Not...."

There is literally no thought or explanation in this sentence. You did literally nothing but mock me, I have less respect for you than ever before.

As I read over your posts I think to myself, is this guy even worthit. Tell me if youare willing to actually listen to me, and if you are, I am willing to share information with you, in the hopes that with this new information your restless mind with think on your new ideas on it, and hopefully you can comeback with something respectful and maybe even interesting.

I don't know what to say man, its like you are mad at me for questioning you in a forum about questioning....

1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy