There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Locked Out

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tboneactor is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Locked Out
After a long hiatus, I'm back! Here's my latest work!

Locked Out

(The scene takes place in a deserted parking lot. BRYCE, 23, is standing outside his car. He is angrily talking on his cell phone.)

BRYCE: What do you mean you're too busy? I've been a member for six years. A PAYING member. Meaning paid in full every time my bill is due. (Pause) I don't care how many claims you have; as a paying member I demand to be put on the list for service. (Pause) Now that's more like it. How long is the wait? (Pause) THREE HOURS?! IT'S ALMOST MIDNIGHT!! (Pause) Fine. I guess I don't have a choice in the matter. (Pause) No, I will NOT have a nice night! I'm still locked out of my fucking car! (Pause) Hello? Hello?!

(RYAN, BRYCE'S 17 year old little brother, enters. He sets a fast food bag down on the hood.)

BRYCE: She hung up on me. The bitch just hung up on me! I'm calling her manager.

RYAN: Well, you DID deserve it. (BRYCE shoots him a look) What? I could hear you from the other end of the lot. You not gonna get anywhere with anyone if you act like a douche with them. I'm just saying...

BRYCE: Thank you. The next time I need a lesson in couth I'll give you a call. But you have to know how to handle people. Without being a dick, I wouldn't have gotten on the list at all.

RYAN: So you think. I'm willing to bet I would've gotten us on the list ahead of you.

BRYCE: Right. And, pray tell, how exactly might you do that?

RYAN: (tearfully) 'We're just *sniff* very far from home ma'am and I'm so tired and scared...'

BRYCE: (punching him in the arm) Very funny. So you're basically saying I should've acted like a pansy.

RYAN: No, but think about it. If they thought it was more of an emergency, they probably would've been more willing to help us sooner. And then we would've been able to...

BRYCE: I get it! Thank you, oh great one, king of smartassary. But this still doesn't get us anywhere. We're still miles from home locked outside of our car, and the road assistance service won't be here for another three hours, at the earliest. So if you would be so kind as to lay off me for a bit, that'd be great.

RYAN: Wait, did I hear you correctly? Three hours?

BRYCE: Three hours.

RYAN: Dude, we won't get back on the road until like three AM.

BRYCE: I'm aware.

RYAN: Mom is totally gonna flip.

BRYCE: Relax, kiddo. I'll call her once we get back on the road and explain what happened.

RYAN: Why don't you call her now?

BRYCE: My battery is low and I need to save it for when my road service calls me back to confirm they're on their way. Why can't you call her if you're so concerned?

RYAN: My battery died an hour ago. Remember? You couldn't call anyone because you were driving so I had to make all your calls for you.

BRYCE: Sorry, I forgot. I've been kinda stressed over the past hour.

RYAN: No need to snap at me.

BRYCE: Oh, then it WASN'T your fault that we ended up locked out of our car? Because I recall that...

RYAN: Look I said I was sorry, what else do you want?

BRYCE: I recall that you wanted so badly to drive MY car since it handles...

RYAN: Yeah, I like your car. It runs well.

BRYCE: It handles so much better than Mom's. So the one time I allow you to...

RYAN: You know what, fuck you.

BRYCE: Allow you to drive it, I say, 'Crawl across, but don't close your door.'

RYAN: I didn't hear you alright?

BRYCE: So what do you do?

RYAN: Fine, I got out and closed the door, locking us out. There, happy now?

BRYCE: Dumbass. You're always doing stupid shit like this. How are you going to survive college if you keep this up?

RYAN: (Grabbing the food bag) Nice. Then I guess you don't want dinner. (Starts to leave)

BRYCE: Ryan, wait. (HE does.) Look, I'm sorry I yelled at you earlier. I just want to get home and we're still a few hours out. And I don't have any money left to stay anywhere over night. (Pause) Maybe this was a mistake. I should've let Dad take you.

RYAN: Don't say that. Bryce, you know Dad wouldn't have taken me to a college visit. Plus I trust your judgment over anyone else's. You've been in my shoes and you know what to look for. And besides, when was the last time I got to hang out with my big brother?

BRYCE: (Smiling) Yeah, I have been gone a while. (Taking the bag) What did you get anyway?
RYAN: I don't know. I got as much as I could off the menu that was under a dollar.

BRYCE: You don't know? (Looking inside) Looks like you got enough for a small country in Africa. (Pulls out a burger) This place any good?

RYAN: I dunno. I hope so. If I decide to go to school around here, I'll need some place to get my grease intake.

BRYCE: Well, you won't have to worry about that. Campus food gives you that and, oh, so much more.

RYAN: Like what? Tell me what I've won, Johnny.

BRYCE: You'll be the winner of the 'Cleanse your Colon' sweepstakes! One bite is all you'll need to feel clean inside and... well, not necessarily out.

RYAN: (doubled over in laughter) Way too much information, Bryce!

BRYCE: Sorry. But it's the sad truth. You know a group from a college campus actually went in and tested the myth to try to find laxatives in the food.

RYAN: No shit? Uh, pun not intended.

BRYCE: I shit you not. I forget what they found though. Lisa was the one who read about it and she... uh, she... well, I don't remember. I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

RYAN: You ok?

BRYCE: Yeah. I'm fine. Just, uh, tired and all. Man, I don't know how I'm gonna finish the drive home. You gotta keep me awake.

RYAN: Keep you awake? How the hell do I do that? You can sleep through a hurricane.

BRYCE: Just keep me talking. Poke me with a stick. I don't know. Just make sure I don't fall asleep. It's the least you can do all things considered.

RYAN: Don't play that card, Bryce. Don't even start with me on that one.

BRYCE: (simultaneously) Did we not just determine that it is, in fact, YOUR fault that were stuck here? And I'm not letting you drive into the wee hours of the morning. You're not the best driver out there and I don't want you to get us both killed. So the least you can do is keep me company and keep me awake so I can get our tired asses home. Driver's ed means nothing. You can be the smartest, most theoretical person, but still be a shitty driver. You would fall under the category of shitty driver.

RYAN: (simultaneously, starting after YOUR fault) Look, I said I was sorry about getting us locked out. But you don't need to continually berate me. I get enough of that from everyone else. And my driving is just fine thank you very much. For once, I got a better grade than you in something. Yeah, it's driver's ed but it's all the same to me. Fine, since you're the only one competent why don't you figure out a way to get into the car now?
RYAN: (in BRYCE'S face) AND I'M NOT A SHITTY DRIVER!

BRYCE: (towering over RYAN) DO NOT RAISE YOUR VOICE TO ME.

(Pause)

RYAN: Well, I've got a couple bucks left. I can see if the burger joint down there has some soda or coffee.

BRYCE: Sure. Just hurry up.

RYAN: Whatever.

BRYCE: Go.

(RYAN exits)

BRYCE: Raise your voice to me? I'll smack the attitude right out of you, you little smartass. (Watches him for a few seconds, sighs, and starts to eat his burger. Spits it back into the wrapper) Ugh! This is trash! (Tosses it offstage. Turns to look for RYAN again.) I guess I can't really judge. I was worse than that at his age. When did you grow up, kiddo? Graduating and going to college. I should've been there. I spent so much time with Lisa. And then... (Kicks the car) God damn it! (Kicks it again, hurting his foot). Stupid car! (Limps over and lies across the hood) Lisa, you stupid bitch. You should've just said no. How many times did I have to tell you to say no to me?

(RYAN enters empty handed)

RYAN: (Haughtily) The place is closed already. I tried to get the guy's attention but... Ok. I won't ask this time. Something's up with you.

BRYCE: I have no idea what you're talking about...

RYAN: Bryce, we grew up together. And yeah, I haven't seen you much over the past year, but I still remember how to tell when something isn't right.

BRYCE: Look, it's not something I want to talk about.

RYAN: So you admit something's wrong?

BRYCE: If it will shut you up about it, yes, I'll admit I've got something on my mind.

RYAN: You can tell me. I mean, what the hell are brothers for?

BRYCE: It's not something I can just talk about.

RYAN: Why not? We used to tell each other everything.

BRYCE: Please just drop it.
RYAN: No, I don't want to just drop it. I'm worried about you. You disappeared for a full year and come back some pathetic sap who mopes around everywhere. What the hell happened to make you such a pussy?

BRYCE: (grabbing RYAN by his collar and pushing him against the car) You shut your God damned mouth. I don't care how old you are or how much you've grown up. I'm still your older brother and you will respect me. (lets go and RYAN slumps) Don't you dare call me a pussy ever again. Hear me? (RYAN says nothing) I asked if you heard me!

RYAN: Yeah. I heard you.

BRYCE: (tosses him a burger) Eat up. Don't want you getting sick on me. Be warned, it's shit.

RYAN: Well, excuse me for trying to be helpful.

BRYCE: Next time go for quality over quantity. We probably could've gotten more edible food.

RYAN: Fine, blame me for that too. Seems like everything else is my fault. Nothing ever lands on you does it?

BRYCE: What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

RYAN: Just what I said. Nothing is ever your fault.

BRYCE: Shut up.

RYAN: You know why I wanted you to come with me? Because every time I went with Mom it was always 'Oh, Bryce would NEVER have gone for that,' 'Bryce would've managed to make the honors program,' Bryce this and Bryce that. Do you know why Dad left? He left because he couldn't stand living at home without you to balance out everything.

BRYCE: (taken aback) What?

RYAN: Don't worry about it.

BRYCE: No, what did you just say?

RYAN: You expect me to just spill my guts?

BRYCE: I expect you to fill me in on what's been going on while I'm away.

RYAN: Oh, right. But wait, isn't that what cell phones are for?

BRYCE: What the hell are you getting at?

RYAN: Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that in the past year and a half before you came home you managed to open your cell and call us all of three times. And then Mom and I had to deal with a year of silence from you. We had no way to get a hold of you. But now that you're back, you want me to let you know everything you could've simply called to find out?

BRYCE: Don't get fresh with me.

RYAN: I have every right to get fresh with you.

BRYCE: No you don't. You don't know what I've been through in the past couple of years. You have no idea the hell I've seen. I don't think you could handle it. If you'd have seen half the shit I've seen, you'd have done something stupid to yourself. (BRYCE grabs RYAN'S bad arm. RYAN winces) I told you to drop it earlier. I'm only going to tell you one more time to drop it NOW. Or you won't like the repercussions. (Lets go. RYAN falls).

RYAN: (short pause, looks directly at BRYCE) Like father like son.

BRYCE: You little bitch. (backhands RYAN across the face. Instantly, he is horrified with himself.)

RYAN: You want to know what really happened? You think knowing it will make everything magically better? FINE! Dad left a few months after you left for school. You were his pride and joy. Everything he wanted in a kid; athlete, smart, popular.

BRYCE: Yeah, so are you.

RYAN: Will you just shut the hell up and listen. You owe me that. (BRYCE looks down in shame) Yeah, I made good grades. Yeah, I did a lot of outside stuff. But nothing was ever good enough. He and mom fought all the time. Then when I started looking at schools with art programs, he'd had enough.

BRYCE: Ryan, you can't put that on yourself like that...

RYAN: Yes I can. He told me.

BRYCE: He what?!

RYAN: He told me everything. He got drunk last Christmas. I made a comment about looking for colleges and he went off on how pathetic it is. Everyone stopped talking. He started screaming at me. How I'm a huge disappointment. I'll never live up to anything this family needed. He couldn't stand living in a house with a failure and the mother that supported it. (short beat) He said he wished I weren't his kid.

BRYCE: You should've called me. I'd have been there in...

RYAN: (cold) I did.

BRYCE: N-no you didn't. I would have answered if I saw it was you.

RYAN: I tried to call you for a week, Bryce. And it was the same thing every time. The number I dialed didn't exist.

BRYCE: It must've been the week I broke my phone.

RYAN: How convenient for you.

BRYCE: Hey, I'm trying to be supportive.

RYAN: You have no idea what I went through...

BRYCE: I'm trying to hear you out and help you through this...

RYAN: What I still go through...

BRYCE: Look I broke my phone...

RYAN: Do you have any idea what it's like...

BRYCE: Want me to get the receipt that shows my new phone?

RYAN: To have your own father say he hates you?

BRYCE: WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?

RYAN: I TRIED TO KILL MYSELF!

(Long silence. BRYCE stares stunned at RYAN. RYAN meets his gaze for a few moments, then crumples down in front of the car)

BRYCE: I-I never knew. You never told me.

RYAN: You never asked.

BRYCE: Mom never told me.

RYAN: I told her not to. I didn't want you to know.

BRYCE: You didn't think I should know?

RYAN: Looks like we both have our secrets.

BRYCE: (sits next to him) Yeah, but you don't think that I should know that my little brother tried to commit suicide? Ryan, I need to know these things. I'm supposed to take care of you in place of Mom and Dad.

RYAN: Then why couldn't you answer your phone when I called for help?

BRYCE: I told you, it was brok-

RYAN: (quietly) It was the next week.
BRYCE: What?

RYAN: I tried to kill myself the next week. When I called, I got your voice mail. You're working, fully functioning voice mail.

BRYCE: I didn't know...

RYAN: And what? That's supposed to get you off the hook?

BRYCE: I didn't say that...

RYAN: No, but that's what you meant. Yet again, nothing is ever Bryce's fault. All Ryan.

BRYCE: (searching for something to say) Ryan... I'm... I'm sorry...

RYAN: You're sorry? SORRY?! Like that's supposed to make it all better? (Encroaching on BRYCE, backing him up with the following) And excuse me but you're supposed to take care of me?! Well whoop-dee-fucking-doo! You've done a GREAT job of that. You've let me live in your shadow and never once passed the spotlight to me. And if I'm ever out of line, you feel the need to physically prove your point to me. AND I'M SUPPOSED TO JUST TAKE IT. WELL I'M DONE TAKING YOUR SHIT! (pause) Like I said, you don't know what it's been like.

BRYCE: (thinks) No, you're right. I don't. So tell me.

RYAN: Why should I? You seem so content on keeping me out of your business. This is my trial. My fight, not yours.

BRYCE: Yeah, but you don't have to fight this one alone. (nothing from RYAN) Plus, we're still locked out of our car with a three hour wait. Beats sitting here in silence. (Smiles at RYAN. RYAN starts to loosen up) What happened, kiddo?

RYAN: I had been trying to get a hold of you for a week. Mom wouldn't talk to me after Grandma called and told her what happened at Christmas. Dad has been out of my life ever since. And you were nowhere to be found. I'm not like you. I don't have friends pouring out of every door I walk through. I've got my mom and my big brother, neither of which would even as much as talk to me. I felt more alone than anything. No one in our entire family would even look at me. I was a stranger in my own home. I couldn't take it anymore. So I finally raided the medicine cabinet for anything I could find. (BRYCE hugs RYAN) I don't even know how much I took. I just remember swallowing pill after pill. Mom came back early from work and found me passed out in my room. (Breaks out of the hug) She tried to call you, too. But you were too busy for us. It's like we didn't even matter to you. You had something else more important.

BRYCE: Are you ok now?

RYAN: No, Bryce, I'm not fucking ok now. Do I look or sound even remotely ok? (Pulls up his sleeve to reveal scars on his arm from cutting) I can't stop. Everywhere I go I feel secluded. I just want to give up.

BRYCE: Don't say that, Ryan! Look, I'm here now! And I promise you as soon as we get home, I'm going to get you help.

RYAN: (laughs) You think they haven't tried that already? I've got my shrink wrapped around my finger. Tell him what he wants to hear and I'm golden. It doesn't help. And I don't need help. I can fight this on my own. Just because I'm not you, doesn't mean I'm not strong enough to fight things like this.

BRYCE: I never said you weren't strong.

RYAN: You don't have to. It's inferred by our relation. I will always be Bryce Statem's little brother. Half of my teachers still don't know my actual name. I'm always living in your shadow. Even when you're gone, it's like you're still there taking everything from me.

BRYCE: Ryan, you know I don't want any of that shit.

RYAN: I know. That's why I never blamed you. But my point is: you never have any problems. Nothing ever goes wrong for you. You have the perfect life.

BRYCE: I know you're upset, but don't go there.

RYAN: Why not? I have to tell you about the hell of my life in detail but you can still keep everything locked up? That's bullshit!

BRYCE: Trust me, Ryan. It's better that you don't know.

RYAN: Right. It's better that I don't know my own brother any more. Like you could even understand what hell is.

BRYCE: (forcefully) Ryan, I will not tell you again. Drop it.

RYAN: And what if I don't want to drop it? Hit me? Please. I do worse to myself. What are you going to do about it?

BRYCE: (gripping RYAN by the shoulders) What did I tell you? I'm still your OLDER brother and you WILL show me some respect. I know our mother raised you better than that. Yeah, life is tough sometimes but that does not give you the excuse to take it out on anyone. Especially me. Why the hell did you hide this from me? You think I wouldn't want to know? Do you have any idea who much I worry about this?

RYAN: About what?

BRYCE: When you have a younger sibling, you have an inherent sense of guardianship. And with that comes an innate fear of losing them.

RYAN: Losing me?

BRYCE: Yeah. I'm terrified of something happening to you. And now I find out that I fear for good reason. (grabs RYAN'S bad arm) How could you do this to yourself? How could you hide this from me?! Do you have any idea how many people care about you? (puts hands on RYAN'S shoulders) I will get you whatever help you need. I don't care how long it takes. I'm not losing anyone else.

RYAN: (pushing free) Wait what?

BRYCE: What?

RYAN: What did you just say?

BRYCE: I said I don't want to lose you.

RYAN: No, you said 'I'm not losing anyone else.'

BRYCE: So what if I did?

RYAN: Who is the 'else?'

BRYCE: It's late and I'm still pissed about my car and now I'm being hit with all of this shit about you.

RYAN: Bryce.

BRYCE: Don't.

RYAN: What do you mean 'anyone else?'

BRYCE: Please, Ryan.

RYAN: I'm not gonna hurt you. Just tell me what's wrong.

BRYCE: I can't.

RYAN: Sure you can.

BRYCE: If I tell you, you'll never look at me the same way.

RYAN: Bryce! Jesus! What did you do? Kill someone? (laughs)

(Silence)

RYAN: Uh, this is the part where you laugh or say 'no, it's nothing like that.'

(Silence)

RYAN: BRYCE?!

BRYCE: Yeah?

RYAN: What did you do?
BRYCE: I'm not going to tell you.

RYAN: God damn it! What do I have to do to get you to trust me?

BRYCE: I do trust you. It's not that.

RYAN: Then what?!

BRYCE: (ominously) Leave it alone, Ryan. I don't want to hurt you.

RYAN: Well, you're a bit late for that.

(pause)

RYAN: Look, I said you wouldn't understand what I went through. But I still gave you a shot.

BRYCE: I've hit you once. I'm not afraid to do it again. Just leave it alone.

RYAN: You won't hit me again, ya pussy.

BRYCE: How many times do I have to tell you to...

RYAN: To what? Respect you? A fat lot of good that has done me.

BRYCE: Have it your way...

(BRYCE raises his hand to hit RYAN, but RYAN hits him first.)

(Tense silence.)

RYAN: I'm sorry. I shouldn't have...

BRYCE: No, it's ok. I'll tell you. You never met Lisa, did you?

RYAN: No, but she seemed awesome from what you told me about her.

BRYCE: She was. She was my everything. We had started dating at the end of my junior year of college. I never met anyone like her. She had this air about her. Yeah, she was the typical girlfriend: smart, funny, gorgeous. But there was something in her eyes. They were ice blue but there wasn't a cold thing about her. There was a fire in them, a life you couldn't get with anyone else. Everything I could've asked for.

RYAN: So that's why you disappeared? A girl?

BRYCE: I was going to come home last Christmas. I wanted to surprise everyone. I had called Dad to see if it would be ok. He said sure but he wanted to talk to her first. So she called him a few weeks before. She put it on speaker phone in case she needed me. He asked her so many stupid questions. Stuff about her family, her grades, her 'ambitions.' Then he asked her about her religion. She was a Muslim. I knew. I didn't care. It didn't matter to me. But he started spewing some of the vilest things I've ever heard. I picked up the phone and we got into it. (pause) I guess that's why he attacked you. He felt he had already lost one and was going to lose the other. I'm sorry.

RYAN: It's alright. It's not your fault. Go on.

BRYCE: I started screaming at him. I told him that no one should speak to anyone that way. And that he would be in trouble if he spoke that way again to... to my... my...

RYAN: Your what?

BRYCE: Fiancé.

RYAN: Fiancé? As in engaged. As in you were going to marry some chick we'd never met?!

BRYCE: I told you. She was everything to me. I loved her. I wanted to spend my life with her.

RYAN: (hurt) Wow. You really were keeping secrets from me.

BRYCE: Ryan, try to understand. Dad thought so much of me. You have no idea how much pressure he put me under. I had to be practically perfect at everything. I had no issues with Lisa being Muslim. But I knew how Dad would react.

RYAN: So what? If you loved her, it shouldn't have matter what anybody else thought.

BRYCE: It didn't.

RYAN: So why didn't you tell me? I should've been the first to know!

BRYCE: And what would've happened had you inadvertently told someone like Dad?

RYAN: Huh? Well... I don't know.

BRYCE: You'd have taken the full front of the anger. And if Dad was that upset with you as it was, imagine how much worse it would've been for you. (Beat) I was trying to protect you.

RYAN: I guess I see you're point. So you wanted to bring her here for Christmas...

BRYCE: Well, needless to say, we didn't come home. Dad hung up on me when I told him we were going to be married. Said he wouldn't allow anyone with the jihad into his family. And that anyone who 'loved' a sand rat was no son of his. It only got worse from there. She tried to apologize and I snapped at her. I was trying to say it wasn't her fault that our dad is such a bastard. Family is important to her and she didn't like hearing me say shit about him. But I kept going. We both said stuff we didn't mean. Then she said that the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. And in the context of the fight, she was right. But it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I stormed out of her apartment. I didn't even say goodbye. (pause) I never said goodbye...

RYAN: Where did you go?
BRYCE: I don't even remember. I just know they served me a lot of alcohol. I don't even remember what I drank. I just kept pounding back drinks. I was upset with dad. I was mad at Lisa. I was depressed that things weren't working out. I wanted to drink until I couldn't see any more.

RYAN: That's not like you.

BRYCE: Can you blame me? When you said I had no clue what you've been through, you were wrong. I do. I know more than I wish to. I was so drunk I thought I was good to drive home. Normally I know I've had too much. But I was belligerent. The bartender took my keys and called Lisa. He had noticed the weather was starting to get horrible. I think he asked her to come get me. She said it would take about an hour; it was nearly a white out by that time.

RYAN: Thank God. For a minute I thought you were gonna say you were stupid enough to drive home.

BRYCE: I'm not done. I gave someone twenty bucks to buy some drinks on the other end of the bar. With the guy distracted, I took my keys back. When a car drove into the lot, I said it was her and bolted. There was so much snow. I tried to clean my car off but got fed up with it. I started my car and drove off. I remember seeing the snow all over the road. Or maybe it was me swerving. I don't know. It took me forever to get home. I had started to sober up a bit by the time I finally walked in the door. The clock read 5AM. I remember trying to stumble to the bed room and lying on the bed. But no one was there.

RYAN: What do you mean?

BRYCE: No one else was there. Lisa was gone.

RYAN: Gone?

BRYCE: That snapped me out of my buzz. I started tearing the house apart. No note. No message. Nothing. I couldn't figure out where she went. I tried calling her cell but it was off. I grabbed my boots and went out to look for her. I must've walked a full mile in the snow. It hadn't stopped. The tire tracks I had made were already gone. I could hardly see more than five feet in front of me. I didn't care. I just wanted to find her. I had to. She had gone out to get me.

RYAN: Bryce...

BRYCE: I think I was out in the cold for an hour. Then I heard it. The sirens. I started running faster. I had to get there. I had to make sure it wasn't Lisa. It couldn't be. She was still at the bar trying to find me. She had to be at the bar. I just had to make sure it wasn't her car. I saw the ambulance first. Then the fire truck. Then the wreckage. The car was mangled. I couldn't even tell what kind of car it was. I looked around, trying to find someone who could tell me something, anything. I had to find Lisa.

RYAN: Did you think to ask any of the cops or EMTs?

BRYCE: No, I wasn't thinking. I ran to the car and tried to find her or something. Some officer grabbed and pulled me back, but not before I noticed the snow. It was red around the car. All of it was red.

RYAN: Oh God...
BRYCE: I knew at that moment. I don't even know how. There was no proof. But something told me it was her. When I explained who I was, the officer walked me over to the ambulance. He wanted me to identify her. He pulled back the sheet (falls apart) and it was her.

RYAN: No! Bryce... I... you...

BRYCE: And I never got to say good bye. She went out in that storm because I was an idiot. If I had just stayed home with her none of this would have happened. But I put myself first. I was so wrapped up in my own miseries. I couldn't see Lisa was there for me every step of the way. We could've made it work. Instead I killed her.

(BRYCE crumples into a ball. RYAN stands looking at him, conflicted. Part of him is appalled at his brother's confession. Part of him still loves him unconditionally. RYAN starts to walk away. He stops and turns to look at BRYCE. Slowly, he walks back to the car and puts his arm around him.)

BRYCE: What are you doing?

RYAN: I can't hug my own family?

BRYCE: Why would you want to?

RYAN: Why wouldn't I?

BRYCE: I killed someone, Ryan. I killed the woman I loved.

RYAN: You didn't kill her, Bryce. It was an accident. She went out there because she loved you. She knew the risks of driving in the weather. It's not like you hit her. I don't how to help you get past it. But I do know this: You will always be my big brother.

BRYCE: How can you forgive me so easily? I can't even forgive myself.

RYAN: Because it was an accident. Accidents happen. And sometimes people die when they do. I'm sorry it had to be Lisa. I would've liked to have met her. I mean, everything that's happened to me I've done to myself. (Moves to rub his arm)

BRYCE: (Grabbing RYAN'S arm) Stop that. It's not your fault. Depression, suicidal thoughts, cutting... they're all part of being sick in a way. And now that I know you're sick, I'm going to make sure you get better.

RYAN: I'm trying, Bryce, but I don't know how much longer I can fight.

BRYCE: It'll be easier now that you've got someone to help you. It's too much to tackle solo. I can't fix my issues alone either. That's why we have each other; because we don't have to do this by ourselves. And I won't let you.

RYAN: What do you mean? You've alienated yourself for the past year. Who's to say I won't do the same thing?

BRYCE: I am. I know about it now. And you know about me. And it's going to take time. It'll take a lot of time for things to start getting better. But we'll get there. We just have to keep fighting.

(Cell phone rings)

BRYCE: Hello? Yes, this is Mr. Statem. Yes, Ma'am, we're still locked out of our car. What? Ten minutes?! That's fantastic! Yes, we'll still be here. Thank you. Thank you very much. Sure, I can give you an address. (Runs off)

(RYAN watches BRYCE leave. HE waits a few moments before reaching into his back pocket and pulling out a long razor blade. HE rolls up his sleeve and holds the blade to his arm. But HE stops before cutting. HE sits frozen.)

RYAN: I can't. (Tries again) God, just one more. (Shaking, trying once more to cut himself, but something is stopping him) Bryce, I locked you out for a reason! (Trying to steady the blade) I want to so much. But I can't. Damn it, Bryce! It was so much easier when you didn't give a shit. But the look in your eyes when I showed you... (Pulls down sleeve without cutting) No. (Pushing the razor under the car) Go to hell. (Pause) Not for a while. (Resigning back to his old ways) Lock it up, Ryan. Lock it up.

BRYCE: Good news, kiddo!

RYAN: We're getting out of here?

BRYCE: Yes sir!

RYAN: When?

BRYCE: Any time now. They just called to let me know they're almost here.

RYAN: Awesome! Should we call Mom?

BRYCE: (looks at his phone) Maybe tomorrow. I think we need to see a few more schools out this way.

RYAN: But I don't have any more scheduled visits.

BRYCE: Walk-ins are usually welcomed at most schools.

RYAN: But why?

BRYCE: I guess I'm going to keep my word. The road to recovery starts somewhere. And I think that somewhere is out on the road for both of us. I'll call Mom in the morning. Tell her what's going on. She'll understand.

RYAN: So, are you still pissed at me for locking the car?

BRYCE: No. You won't be driving my car. Ever. But I'm glad you did. One locked door opened up a few more important ones I guess. (Laughs and hugs RYAN).

RYAN: (looking off) Is that the agency?

BRYCE: Yeah! I'll go sign the forms. (Exits)

(RYAN reaches under the car to grab the razor. HE looks at it for a minute then looks towards BRYCE. HE smiles and throws it far offstage, opposite of BRYCE.)

RYAN: More doors than you know, Bryce. More than you know.

(Turns to exit towards BRYCE. Stops right before he leaves. Turns and hurried rushes for the blade again. He turns over his shoulder to see if BRYCE is looking. He looks intently at the blade. His hands start to shake as we see the struggle in his eyes.)

BLACKOUT

"A spoken word is a moment. A written word is eternal."
Locked Out
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy