The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Unknown
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Politics and Ethics

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Politics and Ethics
The only thing better than provoking a debate is ending a debate. I fear the latter honour will prove beyond me. But few issues are more important than the one I intend to tackle here. A good index of such a thing is the fact that it is on everybody's mind but nobody's lips - like death.

Politics: need we define it? Scolars like Leftwich, Laswell and Downs have thought so, but their attempts have for the most part been will o' the wisp, ideologically rigged or even just too simple. Besides, it is a fallacy to say that we can't know anything of something because we can't decisively define it. I defy anybody to define "Englishness". There will always be a trade-off between generality and specificity. Yet nobody would clearly consider jettisoning the notion wholesale.

Whilst I can accept in principle what Durkheim says about soical facts, I would buttress this with the caveat that there is, embedded in any statement of social or cultural or political vintage, at least a tacit evaluative concession, however disguised or qualified. But - and this is the rub - this evaluative element is not something inescapably primitive or redundant; it has, in fact, a basis in "reality", less clear, but just as vital, as any given proposition about the natural world. Although I reject outright any suggestion that ethics can be turned into a science, there is an unmistakable regularity about the moral schemes laid down throughout the human world (As CS Lewis poitned out, "try to imagine a country where it is considered virtuous to run away from battle or cheat on your friends, and you may as well imagine a country where 1+1=3"£). Shelving, for a moment, the anthropologist's claim to have exploded all breeds of moral objectivism, consider this: when we call an act wrong, we do not mean, as the Deontologists aver, that this is because it contravenes a law laid down from on high, because that only begs the question. Nor is right to say, with the Consequentialists, that good and bad reside outside of their being brought about: otherwise an act could be wrong one day, right another. And this we do not mean.

What I want to say is this: ethics, and so politics, are concerned with a maximisation of the good: and this good is, not happiness, but beauty, which itself is only a by-word for what we intrinsically value, for what is personal or numinous. We might even say that virtue is doing God's will. In so conceiving it we steer clear of the Scylla of barren rule following and dodge the Charybdis of homogenising.

Politics and Ethics
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy