if somebody thinks they are a hedgehog presumably you give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out themselves. - Douglas Adamas
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Make Believe........?

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that BethewateR is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Make Believe........?
Look around at everything that we think in terms of, our concepts and our systems of social structure, right up to metaphysical philosophy where is the line drawn between whats exists and what our brain tells us is our "reality"? Language is our own creation so is our world wide economy and politics played out in an eternal make believe game with real consequences for all.

What is the point of this life? I feel this question is not attempted enough and I for one believe there is no point to it other than the fact we exist, everything else has the value which we assign it.

"all you know is all you know"
 30yrs • F •
inXane is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I agree, we just "happened" and took over everything. We made cars, houses the internet everything...are we here because our environment created us just as and infection grows in a dirty wound?

"They said that love goes anywhere, in your darkest time it's just enough to know its there."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is a very large debate in the study of philosophy. It deals with what we believe vs. what is actually true, and how we can prove that it is true.

I believe it was Rene Descates who thought that in order to establish what we can prove to be true we must start from the beginning. Thus he asked the question "How do I know that I exist?" Because without his own existence, nothing else could exist to him. Thus he observed, "I think, therefore I am."

If you can think, you must be able to think with something, and so we have a self. Anything beyond that could merely be a deception of what we call "the mind." Everything you see, everyone you know, everything you believe to be true could all be the product of your mind.

From this way of thinking what I am writing now could merely be a construct of your mind, one that it is using to answer a question that your conscious self has proposed. Its all very abstract, rather confusing, and overall unendingly fascinating.

As for the meaning or point of this life, that seems to be just as abstract as Descartes' system of beliefs. It seems to be just as transparent and ever-changing as language or social structure, and just as those things can vary and be viable within different cultures, so can the "point of this life".

I feel that there is no real underlying theme that we can appoint to life that surpasses living your life to the fullest everyday, and dealing with the blows as quickly as possible so you can get back to enjoying what time you have on this earth with the people you love.... Or the people your mind has constructed in order that you have someone to express an imagined emotion for. '

33yrs • M •
llllJesusllll is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i agree with you fireangel

""What we know is....this life now. What we dont know....is our other life.""
 33yrs • M •
llllJesusllll is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
to anwser what is the point of this life... first to start of by saying maybe the point of our life is to make purpose to it which we have done already by technology, thoughts and imagination. This is mostly all peoples point to life (expanding our life to make our feelings better through technology and other stuff) but my point to life is to figure out the unknowns like your exact question. i believe that more people should come together to figure out these unknown questions and maybe once we have found the anwsers to many(why we die or live, what happens before and after our life) questions like theses and all the others we will eventually find out the true true meaning or point behind our life. i feel as though we should be figuring out the extreme questions like i said and this could explain our meaning of life better and maybe entirely. maybe God which i believe in...put us here to find out the unknow which is like a test for us. if we complete the test and answer everything i believe a new life will be created(not this one we are in but a whole entire new life which which can explain or think about in any way or in no way at all).

""What we know is....this life now. What we dont know....is our other life.""
Make Believe........?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy