You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Drunk, but not on alcohol...

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It occurred to me today, that some mental disorder may be more comprehensible when you look at it in the right light.

Most people usually see people who are drunk in an altered state of mind. Their behaviour almost always changes, and they may act silly.

I think you may be able to understand some mental disorders, especially those assumed to be a product of disrupted brain chemistry in a similar way we understand drunk people.

Knowing it could be a chemical problem is one thing. Deciding how to treat it in another. You want to consider behavioural changes, exercise and diet before treating the problem through pills and other medication.

Now seeing mental illness in this light, gives me a little bit of confidence in medication. Although, I think the real solutions are elsewhere, for example in prevention.

Your thoughts?

"There is no negative one..."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It would be beneficial to consider that many mental disorders are not primarily caused by chemical imbalance, but more by various amounts of trauma, and the like...

It is also important to consider those that are primarily chemical, like from periods of drug use, or poor diet, or poison, etc.

I would also consider people who show, through an idealised view point, a lack of logic, not to be considered mentally ill. This may include those who have become susceptible to believing in a sham cult amongst other things.

"There is no negative one..."
 33yrs • M •
wanderingspirit is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
well in the case that i have tried perscriptions and self medication you really have to mentally overpower it now thats just for like bipolar(manic depression) or depression in general see self medication worked but it only leads to addiction so i couldnt really say thats the best choice but i mean i have done alot to keep my manic episodes so they say at a minimum or atleast hardly noticable to the eye by just blockin it out tryin to focus on other things works very well but i mean thats me ive dealt with it for 6 years or so...so just kee tryin different things

"free the mind and the spirit will follow"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy