Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind - Leonardo da Vinci
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How can we find that resonant synchronization?

User Thread
 90yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that coberst is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

I am of the opinion that we all have a number of personal resonances (talents?) that if discovered give great emphasis to our life's satisfaction. Those individuals who discover and exploit such a personal resonance can find great self-satisfaction. If that particular resonance strikes a social resonance then the accompanying social display of appreciation can add to the personal satisfaction to the individual.

I think a successful artist is a good example of what I speak. The singing artist who happens not only to discover a particular musical talent and, if that talent is in accord with a public musical taste, that individual would reap great personal and economic satisfaction. The actor or painter, or any of many possible talents that are appreciated by the public would serve as examples of what I mean by resonance.

Few individuals discover and display a talent, a personal resonance that can truly excite public appreciation. Those who do display such a resonance are truly rewarded. However, I am not particularly interested in those few but I am interested in considering all the rest of us who have resonances (talents?) and especially all those that remain undiscovered by ourselves.

It seems that society and all its institutions are focused upon making everyone of us efficient producers and consumers. Nothing prepares us for self-discovery when such discovery is not supportive of a drive to produce and consume. I think that most social pressure from birth to death is directed at the drive to make us effective producers and consumers.

I chose to use the word 'resonance' rather than talent because I think our sense of the meaning of the word 'talent' will distort the point I wish to make. 'Talent' is such a 'produce and consume' word. In fact we have little vocabulary available when discussing what I mean.

At mid-life when our career ambitions dim and our family are cared for is the time that is available to us to begin to de-emphasize the world of 'production and consumption' and begin exploring the world of the intellect directed as an end-in-itself'. Our intellects have been so totally directed as a means to an end that we will have some difficulty thinking of knowledge and understanding that is considered as an end-in-itself.

Our first encounter with resonance, as the word is normally used, might have been when we first discovered on the playground swing that a little energy directed in synchronization with the swing's resonant frequency would produce outstanding movement. What a marvelous discovery. We might make similar marvelous discoveries if we decide, against all that we have learned in the past, that the intellect can be used as an end-in-it-self.

I also think that if a person reaches mid-life without having begun an intellectual life that person will be unlikely to begin such a life. It appears to me that if we do not start such an effort before mid-life we will never have an intellectual life. After our school daze are over it might be wise for a person to begin the cultivation of intellectual curiosity even though there may not be a lot of time available for that hobby.

Get a life-get an intellectual life!

42yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pupa ria is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i like the meaning you give to resonance.

This needs self observation in the least...finding what comes to you naturaly. hmmm maybe we have resonnance in many things but we do not invest ourselves fully in all of them. What i mean by fully is that your resonnance is that in which your whole being coincides (emotionaly, intellectualy, physicaly and i don't know what else) it's that thing that you do fully and that fulfills you but the thing is that it goes unnoticed by the main reason that it's part of who you are...so this brings us to the question you asked in another topic " can i think myself"?

"I'm the mirror that will make you invisible"
 90yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that coberst is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Solitude is a valuable resource when changes of mental attitude are required-'solitude can be as therapeutic as emotional support from a friend'.

Our way of thinking about life and ourselves is so habitual that it takes time and effort to change attitudes-people find it difficult to make changes in attitude but solitude and perhaps changes in environment facilitate changes in attitude because habit is fortified by external environment-religion is well aware of these facts-only through experience of change in environment can one know if such change will facilitate change in attitude-'one needs not just solitude but one needs to be able to sink roots into some replenishing philosophy also'.

Solitude is not to subject oneself to sensor deprivation, which can lead to hallucinations. One needs the stimulation of the senses and the intellect.

Imagination-solitude can facilitate the growth of imagination-imagination has given humans flexibility but has robbed her of contentment-our non-human ancestors are governed by pre-programmed patterns-- these preprogrammed patterns have inhibited growth when the environment changes-humans are governed primarily by learning and transmission of culture from generation to generation and is thus more able to adapt-'for humans so little is predetermined by nature and so much is dependent upon learning'-happiness, the contentment with the status quo is only a fleeting feeling-'divine discontent' is the gift of our nature that brings moments of ecstasy and a life time of discontent-the present is such a fleeting part of our reality that we are almost always in the past or the future.

I think that a regular dose of solitude is very important for everyone, young and old. Does that make sense to you? I think that each individual needs to make radical adjustments in their attitude toward learning when school dazes are over. Solitude might be helpful in facilitating such adjustments.

This stuff comes from reading 'Solitude: A Return to the Self' by Anthony Storr. Most of this is snatches of text that is sometimes a paraphrase and sometimes a quotation

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy