Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Deconstructing Deconstruction

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It is a mystery, and it is a testament to the stupidity of the masses, that Derrida's odious uber-philosophy, parroted by a whole generation of drones and epigones, and trumpeted by the most ill-informed onlookers, should have established nigh-on unassailability in the world of the Humanities. It is doubtful whether such a ready army of non sequiturs and petitio principiis have ever been deployed in earnest; and I dare say that my posting a thread on this in the first place must be accounted a defeat.

My riposte is simple. What I see when I consider his principle of Differance is the dubious assumption that words are like physical objects, in the sense that, in order to be what they are, there must be a fixed frame of reference. (This was called, in physics, the ether; that is, until Michelson and Morley's famous experiement in 1886). This is the sense in which words are contingent: they defer for their significance on the interpretive matrix in which they are lodged. But this matrix is composed of yet more words: so the deference must go on forever. Is this problem decisive? Well, no. For the determination of a word begins with pyscho-physical processes which causally, and over a great deal of time, fix meaning. So my conclusion is that words (parole, to use De Saussure's term) ARE like physical things, or rather are parasitic on them - but the infinite regress never gets off the ground if we say that the universe is infinite.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy