"Everything is opinion and point of view. Evil and good all depends on how you look at things. Question is what is opinion?" - Zyphon
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Guilt and Competition

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Guilt and Competition
What spurred this thread was that I was playing a game I like very much, it's called Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. I play on a server where everybody pretty much knows everybody (it's a small community.)

There's people on there that I know I can beat and there's people on there that are the established pros and everyone's generally nice to each other with good-natured ribbing here and there.

Well today I beat one of the established pros 1v1 and I like the guy, he's a cool guy, but I can't help but feel guilty about it. It wasn't a fluke either. I could beat him again I'm sure. For some reason I wish I couldn't beat him.

I had a similar experience playing scrabble with my mom. She's pretty cocky about her scrabble playing abilities. I'd never had a win against her in the years I've played her and then one night I won. I felt guilty that night too. It felt like my heart was choking.

I get into these things never thinking I'll ever reach certain stages (but wanting to) and then when I do it just doesn't feel good. It takes the fun out of it.

What's the cause of this? All thoughts are appreciated.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It's a feeling of safety being expelled. When you reach a point in anything in life where you become equal to or greater than what you previously thought was unattainable, you feel as though your safety net has become smaller.

You come to a point where those who you once thought were so much more advanced than you, are now at your level and may possibly need to learn from you now. The role reversal is daunting initially, but when you come back to your senses and realize there is always something to be learned and always something for you to teach, you go back on your merry way.

Also, your resources for learning diminish slightly, and suddenly you must become much more dependent and on your own in furthering knowledge.

Indeed, it is lonely at the top.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
[  Edited by Wyote at   ]
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Thanks, that makes sense.

"Indeed, it is lonely at the top."

^^ I like this quote. I wonder if the first person to reach enlightenment had this feeling (but times a trillion) and that's why they came back to help others to enlightenment.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We are all enlightened and the more aware of it we all become, the less lonely we will all be

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
Guilt and Competition
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy