The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - ExplodingGopher
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Prop 8: A Different Approach

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that KGB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Okay so in the wake of the religious arguments and the linguistic arguments, (and those arguments aside) I thought I would take a look at this proposition from the legal/democratic aspect. So bear with me.

RIGHT
Socially approved, desirable, or influential: to go to the right schools and know the right people.
A just claim or title, whether legal, prescriptive, or moral: You have a right to say what you please.
That which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc.: Freedom of speech is a right of all Americans.

PRIVILEGE
A grant to an individual, corporation, etc., of a special right or immunity, under certain conditions.
The principle or condition of enjoying special rights or immunities.
An advantage or source of pleasure granted to a person
http://dictionary.reference.com/

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
The Bill of Rights

Okay, so we notice here (I hope) the difference between a right and a privilege and we see the first amendment to the Constitution and beginning of the Bill of Rights. Further, as I have scoured the Constitution from beginning to end and found no mention of marriage anywhere within the body, my conclusion is thus: marriage is a privilege and its qualifications, as seen in the election, are consequently governed by the people. All ethical/moral arguments aside this makes sense to me in keeping with the spirit of the Constitution and the Founding Fathers intent.

I'm interested to know what other people think.
Note: I'm only interested in the legal aspects of Prop 8; moral arguments for or against are for another thread.

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy