Great men are those who see that thoughts rule the world. - " Ralph Waldo Emerson"
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

question in need of an answer

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
do you consider your self a Criminal?

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmm . . . are you or do you consider yourself sane?
After all we are involved in eight years of war in a country contrived to be guilty by association but an easy villain to make the sacrificial lamb to direct public rage . . .
thus the extension of the question => 'are we criminally insane?'

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 34yrs • M •
In normal society's context yes iam sane

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 29yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that forgottentruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
but if you think your sane you usualy end up insane, because insane people think they are getting saner

"All we see or seem; is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe"
 34yrs • M •
quote:
if you think your sane you usualy end up insane, because insane people think they are getting saner

by the defintion normal society's context i am sane.

But we are straying from my orignal question. i would like to know if you think of your self as a criminal?

31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i have illegaly downloaded music off limewire. i drink, yet i am underage. i drive quite often by myself even though i only have my permit.

Yes, i am a criminal. Have i been caught performing illegal, albiet small, acts? No.

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 34yrs • M •
if asked to define your self would you define your self as a criminal?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hell yea, I break the law on a regular basis. Mostly because my judgment of what is right does not reflect the thoughts of rich old fogies who think they control me.

I'm pretty cool.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Your a criminal if the powers that be say you are.

"I hungry"
 31yrs • M •
quote:
if asked to define your self would you define your self as a criminal?

No

34yrs • M •
quote:
i have illegaly downloaded music off limewire. i drink, yet i am underage. i drive quite often by myself even though i only have my permit.

quote:
if asked to define your self would you define your self as a criminal? No

So you break the law, but don't consider, define your self as a criminal where in the thought process do you make that transition? I am trying to find out how as a society we all break laws jaywalking, stealing, ext, but we are able to deny the fact that we are criminals and go about claiming we are good people.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Some laws are enforced to reduce little inconveniences such as stealing, jaywalking, speed limit etc. which don't have any big consequences. These laws are constantly changing and vary from place to place. You're not a "bad person" if you break these laws every now and then.

Then there are the laws we all know we should never break. These have been around since possibly the beginning of civilization. To break these laws you would have to be a savage under most circumstances.

By the definition of the word criminal I would technically be one... but I think that word is usually reserved for people who perpetually break those minor laws.

We tend to call the people that break real laws by more specific names like "murderer" or "rapist."

"The truth will set you on fire"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
So you break the law, but don't consider, define your self as a criminal where in the thought process do you make that transition? I am trying to find out how as a society we all break laws jaywalking, stealing, ext, but we are able to deny the fact that we are criminals and go about claiming we are good people.
Yes, that is the point to which I was eluding too.
Insanity being to inability to make such distinctions of right & wrong then the criminally insane are not or do not make such a distinctions => how as a society we all break laws jaywalking, stealing, ext, but we are able to deny the fact that we are criminals! Then you have the habitual criminal behavior . . . which pretty much defines your previous statement, we continually go around knowingly breaking the law but as most people tend to do these things . . . it is not really a criminal act?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe a question that we might want to answer is simply what we define as a criminal. We can look for a very ridged and precise answer from a dictionary so the noun criminal as defined by Webster is -
1 : one who has committed a crime
2 : a person who has been convicted of a crime

This is simply a definition that doesn't mean it is correct. But if it is I think all but a very small portion of are society would be guilty of being a criminal so as Chris and Cturtle hinted at earlier in that there are simply different levels of criminal acts.

So as this ties into the original question yes I do consider myself a criminal from a governmental stand point. I do not consider myself guilty from a societal or a personal stand point. I have commited petty crimes, we all have.

I define a true criminal act as simply something that we guilt over. This means that even if it is legal I still might feel guilt about it there for I have committed a crime against myself.

Society has it owns standards that I could not sum up because I simply think different from everyone in this collective whole, everyone does thus no one can define how a society will respond ,100% of time when large groups of people are in charge of judging someone.

All three of these groups have there own forms of punishment for committing a crime. Once we have paid for the crime in some way shape and or form then we can be forgiven by that particular group and thus (in my mind) aren't criminals

Example of punishment might be -
Personally we feel guilty, we can't sleep, we apologize and compensate for what we've done. Society punishments might including lynching, out-casting and verbal abuse from other individuals. Governmental includes jail fine ect ...

This very last bit is about that personal guilty and judgment of oneself . As it relates to sanity in a whole I am honestly not sure if an insane person would know they are sick or crazy or if a sane person would know for sure that they're sane. That's why we have the other two groups. (checks and balances)

This is just what I think I really have no way of proving any of it just my observations.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 31yrs • M •
quote:
So you break the law, but don't consider, define your self as a criminal where in the thought process do you make that transition?

I acknowledge that I am a criminal. Like zachfrenzel said, every one is, on some level. But if you asked me to define my self (my personality and my traits) i would not say i am a criminal. But if someone asked me strait up if i have ever commited any illegal acts, i would say yes.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy