Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How should we live our lives?

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
eat_life is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Im going to have a bit of ramble, but this subject deserves rambling over. Ive found as ive got older there is a strong encouragement to fall in line. People talk about living their lives, but how can it be called living when so many people work through their days only to then sleep and get up for another day of mindless routine? Not because they want to, but because its expected of them.

I don't want a crazy and exciting life, i just want one of my own... does this make sense??

^^

"ill cross that bridge when i get to it"
 35yrs • M •
matt_1705 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ah mindless routine, the realms of the mundane majority. It truly is a terrible thing to get caught up in, the stench of it suffocates a man's soul and leaves it trembling before slowly melting away dreams and desires. That said some of the more vulgar souls are perfectly suited to wasting away their lives, contented in ignorance by the stability of routine.

There's no real way we 'ought' to live our lives, it's entirely subjective as to whether or not one can be contented in one's life. Those stuck in the 9-5 rat race for all their lives are still living, just clearly not as you would want to be. Indeed, sometimes I envy those who can be happy in the shallows of experience, but then I look back on the adventures I've had, people I've met, sensations I've opened myself up to and I'm glad I spend the majority of my time discontented with what I've acheived. I pity those who haven't explored humanity and the world as I have, and I'm well aware that compared to some I am but an infant looking confusedly at the fringes of human nature and the wide array of marvelous things to behold and do.

Your life is your own, do with it what you will. It's good that you've noticed the powerful social influences exerting themselves on you, that's the first step to ignoring them.

68yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Booky is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Im going to have a bit of ramble, but this subject deserves rambling over. Ive found as ive got older there is a strong encouragement to fall in line. People talk about living their lives, but how can it be called living when so many people work through their days only to then sleep and get up for another day of mindless routine? Not because they want to, but because its expected of them.

I don't want a crazy and exciting life, i just want one of my own... does this make sense??

Well you are still young enough to do some thing about it.

Many people do not wake up to that reality until their 30's - 40's and then stuck in their rut.

The "mid-life crisis" is the pretty name for the ugly event.

So while a person is young then that is the time to make your escape plans.

You can go to college and pick your own occupation, or make plans for your self employment, or build your own company, or move to some third world Country were people are allowed to be free living - because it is not allowed in the USA.

This is no kidding - you plan and start now while you are young or else the system will eat you and suck out your life just as it has done to most of our population.

You are fortunate in seeing the problem, but doing some thing about it is the challenge.

"Courage is the key to all advantages."
 32yrs • F •
AndShelley is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I understand totally. Its basically you wanting to be you and do what you believe.
I think you should have a look at some moral philosophers and ethics. To see what you agree with and what you dont! I study philosophy and Its changed who I am dramatically.
I think once you start looking at the big questions and then take into consideration other peoples answers, you can truely distinguish who YOU are by agreeing and ruling out the possibilities. Be you, not who others want you to be.

http://www.theologicalstudies.citymax.com/articles/article/1527417/17142
.htm

Have a look at this Its just one opinion out there. See what you think.

Take care
Shelley x

"Sometimes, The last person on the Earth you want to be with, Is the one person you cant be without."
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think if a person can truly find a way of living their life just as they want to and be happy and fulfilled then that is a rare and wonderful thing. Unfortunately money drives our lives. Bills have to be paid, a roof needs to be over your head and you have to eat and feed children and provide for families. So life inevitabely becomes routine.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that allimar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Finding your nitch in society forms a more stable society. Rising to the top is natural; doing routines isn't really a bad thing as you live your life. Reading and experiencing life in general is a treasure. A fact I have problems getting over is that no matter what, we will die. Even if we found the longevity pill, and people work to forming the perfect living sphere, the universe will die and fade away in trillions of years.
Live in a way so when you're on your death bed, you die smiling about how you enjoyed what you were given. It's all you really can do.

"The more you learn, the less you know."
 43yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Squarepants is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You wil just do what ever you feel like doing. Those who are good at predicting out comes will find it easier to live than those who can't see predictions very well.

"I hungry"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy