Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Rice Paper World

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Rice Paper World
For 9 years I was a vegetarian, for 5 of those years I was a vegan, and near the end for about 3 or 4 months all I ate was fruit, nuts and beans...
The reason I went so far as to only eat things that fell from the tree, or where the main organism did not need die just so I could eat.
These days I'm eating meat again, and sort of enjoy it. But, I often think of going back, mostly for ethical reasons. And, I felt fine on that diet, so there would be no issue there.
Anyway, in that vain, if it was considered better to let a tree live, and use alternatives to paper derived from wood, then perhaps a form of rice paper (or other ethical varieties) could be useful.
I guess if we were to take it that far, we may need to consider alternatives to wood (for building,etc.) also. I'm sure there are some...
There is one problem with the idea, which could be resolved. It's the same problem we're getting with ethanol fuels... That food sources, that could feed the hungry are being used for alternate applications. In the case of ethanol, it's for fuel.

Has anyone else gone this far with 'ethical diets'?
What do you think of the idea?
(bear in mind, food shortage may not be permanent, if we can sort it)

"There is no negative one..."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ethical diets can be very complicating. The way things are going, most of us eat what we can afford to buy or go hungry and some of us do that anyway. While it might be ethical to experience some hunger, most of us don't live alone and have others depend upon us. On that note, I think the most ethical thing is to to eat is to try to grow your own food, if you have no property, then inside plants.

We could replace a lot of our paper and building products with bamboo and hemp

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Appreciate your thoughts okcitykid...

I guess the whole special diet thing was about the prevention of death of life.
I think bamboo and hemp harvesting tend to rely upon uprooting the plant.
I'm not sure that ALL methods of rice harvest are like that (not sure...)

I guess how I felt at the time and how I have sympathy now is that no life should have to end simply so I can eat, clothe and house myself...

I think elements of this have been done before, perhaps not all together, but it may be more possible in the future...

Let me know if there is any major flaw in that ethic...

"There is no negative one..."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Let me know if there is any major flaw in that ethic...

There is no major flaw, to live your life without hurting another life is a virtue but I hardly find it attainable and for some very impossible but it certainly is the right idea.

As for me though, I believe that nature was created by God or the Universe. That being said, in nature an eagle will fly down and steal a baby rabbit and feed it to its young and this is natural. I believe natural is good.

When we almost killed off all the buffalo to hurt the Indians and steal a little fur for profit, this is not natural I consider wrong. That is the gauge I follow.

I knew someone like yourself in the Navy and he was to winter over in Antarctica and I did not know how he would survive so I convinced him that it was ok to eat eggs as they are not fertilized and would only go bad if you didn't eat them.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
The Rice Paper World
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy