Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Happening

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Happening
I have to say, I have never felt more insane reading reviews about a movie before. Everyone hates this film and not for reasons that make any sort of sense.

"There's no twist! How gay"
"Finally, a movie without a twist!"
"At least he didn't put himself in the film"
"It's not scary"

And other comments that make even less sense. As I left the theater somebody actually uttered the words "that was just like the sixth sense!" ...wow.

Roger Ebert has written the only decent review of this film.

I just have a few things to say about the film, myself. First, the script needed a little bit of work, a little bit. Second, the film itself was beautifully made and it left me quite disturbed. Seeing as it was M. Night's first R film, I think he was probably going for "disturbing" and succeeded in that respect. Finally, the film actually made a lot of sense and the overall concept was much more "believable" than anything he has done before, which was a nice change.

7/10

And I leave you with a comment I have stolen from elsewhere which sums up my frustrations quite well.

"no twist for once...the signs..no twist..lady in the water no twist..fuck u haters...goddamn..go watch the hulk u cunts and choke on his green cock"

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Forgive my late response but I waited until this was out on DVD. I enjoyed this movie and thought that the idea was unique and well thought out. There was a few things I would have enjoyed, like a story behind the old crazy lady, and a less goofy goober version of the Army Private, but overall I thoght it was a good flick. It reminded me of Stephen King's The Stand in some ways. He was in the movie actually, but just played a phone part as Joey the affair guy. The part I did not enjoy was the ending, just because it was a little bit anti-climactic in my oppinion. Overall I liked it and will watch it again.

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 40yrs • M •
DVD already? Somebody's about to be in trouble with the MPAA... nice to see you posting again though!

Shyamalan always has archetype characters in his movies and they come off as a bit over-exaggerated. The army private was a reminder of who's movie I was watching.

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wesdawgy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Thanks! I've been lost in my own mind. Its great to see alot of dedicated posters still on here, I'm back for good. Anyway, overexagerated character explains more clearly what I was trying to communicate thank you. It isn't on DVD, I don't know why I said that, it must have been a typo,

"I'd like to say something profound....."SOMETHING PROFOUND""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I really just didn't enjoy the movie... I had really high hopes for it though. I think the main thing that bothered me was that ALL the crazy parts, you saw in the previews. When some weird part started happening in the movie, you knew exactly what was going to happen. People jumping off the buildings, guy laying infront of the lawn mower, people hanging, that red jeep hitting the tree. The ending was okay though, I did agree when the news reporter guy or whatever was like "the trees are doing this to us for destroying their planet" or whatever... very true.

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Are we talking about this movie?

http://www.rogersplus.ca/movie.asp?mid=34068

40yrs • M •
Yep. I was anyway.

45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well....how did wesdawgy see it in June if it wa just released on DVD?

40yrs • M •
I don't know man, he claims it was a typo lol. If he were around you could ask him yourself, but it seems he doesn't stop by often anymore.

The Happening
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy