My religion is sarcasm. The theme is sarcasm. The motto is 'THIS IS A SERIOUS RELIGION!' - fireflys
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Fantasy writing. New

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fleeting_dreams is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fantasy writing. New
Alright then. Lately, I have been looking around the blogs of many contemporary fantasy authors and there seems to be a trend in the posting of articles focused towards how one might go about improving their writing skills and ability to write a fantasy novel.
Though I agree it is possible to improve your ability to write, as a general thing, I do not see how it is possible to learn how to write a fantasy novel without first having some skill, or natural talent. Essentially, my main argument is that whilst it is possible for people to improve their writing skills, it is not possible to simply improve ones own imagination, imagination of course being the foundation of the fantasy genre.
So, what do you think. Do you think that it is possible for one not to just improve their writing skills, but their ability to write a fantasy novel of publishable quality. Furthermore, do you also think that it is possible that an individual can learn to improve their imagination, without first ripping off every other idea presented before them?
Tell me what you think, please.

"The parable to which you bow."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You know, FleetingDreams, that is a very interesting point. I could never get my head around the fact that you could take any sort of course to improve one's imagination from scratch.

quote:
without first having some skill, or natural talent.

I think this is especially true. I think you have to have some form of previous creative skills to improve on.

Because lets face it, if you're not a creative or imaginative person, you wouldn't be considering being a fantasy writing in the first place.

But maybe there's another side to it, we'll just have to see what other people have to say.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fleeting_dreams is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree. However, that's if other people will say anything at all.

"The parable to which you bow."
Fantasy writing. New
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy