Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why -are- so many people of Abrahamic religions?

User Thread
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tazzlyn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This question was posed to me by my father (Not directly. He said "I would be more swift to brush away Christianity if there weren't so many people who believed in it," and I kinda derived the question from that.) after watching that new Ben Stein movie Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. I was discussing with him my beliefs and how I saw the movies and he was doing the same. But then he said that, I wondered to myself...Why DO so many people believe in this religion (and all Abrahamic religions, which amounts to about 3.8 billion people)? And I've been thinking about it for about a week now. And here's what I've got...

First let me mention that I'm an atheist with my own philosophy on morals and life in general and I -don't- like religion in any sense.

So, number 1. They're born into it. This is the biggest one. Most people are born into this religion (since it is the largest religion in the world) and they are taught from birth that it's the way to go and it's the only truth. In all honesty, brainwashed. But moving along...

2. It is widely accepted. Since Abrahamic religions ARE the largest in the world, they are accepted easily. It's easy to be of an Abrahamic religion, because it's almost expected and surely accepted.

3. It's traditional, we haven't done anything different for a while. We've been doing these religions for so long, people don't want to change.

4. People -need- a god. They need a religion. They need direction of right and wrong and they need answers to questions that can't be answered and they don't want to think too hard, so they run to religion.

Now, never have my thoughts of religion wavered as much as they have when I contemplated this. I couldn't find an answer to that question that satisfied me! (My typical "People are just stupid" wouldn't suffice in my mind. ) For once in my life, I almost accepted the idea. But I was taking a shower (in the bathroom is where I get most all of my deep thoughts done) and these hit me.

In the news, religion reigns superior. But everyone knows there's nothing good in the news. It's all bad news. The war in Iraq - Religion. And Sunnis and Shiites - Religion. The polygamist church thing - Religion. Terrorism - Religion. Isn't it time someone opens their eyes?

I understand these religions are typically teaching people to love their neighbor and all that shit and it's good, that's goooood! I'm not saying that's bad, because it's not. But here's what I say.

If you want to teach your kids morals, teach them what you're learned from YOUR mistakes over the years.

Don't bring religion into it, because I'm sorry, but Abrahamic religions are foolish.

Morals =/= Religion.

And for those of you opposing my thoughts, religious or not, don't change the subject. It seems any debate it get in with someone about this, they change the subject.

Thanks for hearing my opinion.

"Inspire."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tazzlyn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Guilt...that makes a lot of sense. Jesus died for YOU because YOU are a sinner. And the whole 'God watches everything' idea would lead to not only a very guilty lifestyle, but one of a sense of RIGHT is RIGHT and WRONG is WRONG, thusly when someone does something WRONG, they are WRONG and TERRIBLE and a very very bad person who's going to burn in hell for all eternity.

Makes sense. Wonderful deduction, I can tell you've had the same questions as I have.

"Inspire."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy