Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Fantasy, writing, publication, creativity and stupidity. UPDATED

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fleeting_dreams is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hello friends and fiends, it's been a while since my last post, so I hope you have not forgotten me and what I'm all about. Nevertheless, I'm back with a brand spanking new topic I would love to throw out there and have contemplated by all your juicy brain-meats.

First off; I love fantasy in all it's glory, from literature, art and theoretical design to character analysis, discourse and fantasy inspired video games and movies. Yes, I love it with all that I am and for those of you who remember me, yes I'm the one who is having his first fantasy novel published later this year. However, something has come to my attention of late... something I cannot stand, a very simple notion, fantasy education.

For those of you who read fantasy and I'm sure there are a few, have you ever googled or looked up your most loved author and after reading through their normal information, come to find a section dedicated to teach future fantasy authors the tricks of the trade and the 'best way things can be done.' If you have, do a little more digging and I can bet my bottom buck that somewhere along the lines they have written a book going through the process of writing your first novel and attempting to get it published. However, please don't get me wrong, I mean it goes much further than this, stemming to blogs, video feeds, E-books and even an idiots guide to.

Essentially, my problem with all of this is simple, the ability to write and write well, let alone write best selling fantasy novels is a gift, it is something you a born with, not something which can be contained within a guide, or packaged and shipped 'direct to your door,' for $29.99.
However, the idea of being taught how to write based upon someone else's theoretical methodology, or ideological foundation, is all good and well and to some extent, small though it may be, plausible. Yet, not only are these sites and other authors claiming that your everyday individual can learn how to write like a fantasy author, but to think like one, as well. I mean come on, is that not a little stupid. In consideration of this rather vexing claim, if such a thing were possible, surely it would be banned and categorized as cruel and unusual punishment because, Christ alive, I would hate to think what someone might need to suffer through in order to gain the constant flow of obscene, macabre and obscure thoughts that, like mine, are the mights of fantasy authors.

So, what do you think. Is it possible to learn how to not only write good fantasy, but write fantasy of a publishable quality and to acquire the mindset needed to write page after page of the surreal, deranged and unknowable? Or, like the cynic that I have become, do you say BULLSHIT to such mindless notions?
Please, think, contemplate, explore, practice and then come back to me and bring content... as much content as you can.

I thought, just so you can see, more objectively, the issues to which I am drawing reference, I would post a few links to such blogs, so on and so forth.

http://www.jenniferfallon.com.au/blog/index.cfm/2007/5/25/Another-10-Tip
s-for-writing-a-fantasy-bestseller

http://writingforus.blogspot.com/2007/11/fantasy-writing-six-cliches-to-
avoid.html

http://nycpulpwriter.blogspot.com/

"The parable to which you bow."
[  Edited by Fleeting_dreams at   ]
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Writing fantasy is just some parlor trick to be likened to juggling or underwater basket weaving. In my opinion $29.99 is waaaay too much money to learn how to write.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fleeting_dreams is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes, very insightful. Well done, do you feel proud of yourself now. Essentially, if it is such a cheap trick, as you claim, would you mind gracing us with some of yours works of excellence? Moreover, don't even think about giving me that 'I don't need to validate myself to you,' crap.
So I guess my question is now, are you even capable of learning a parlor trick?

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't need to validate myself to you.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 37yrs • M •
What a surprise, nothing more than a prime example, of what I like to call, a social peon. How does it feel, Mr. D, to be nothing more than average?

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that doom123 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
sorry people are such assholes fleeting dreams. i support your opinion fully. Fantasy is a genre that requires the biggest imagination available. you cant go and learn how to have an imagination either. You either have it or you don't. But with every genre there are flaws and in fantasy one flaw is the fact that half the books are too tolkein influenced. Having rings with ultimate power and towers that control orc armies. that pisses me off. im ranting but w/e.

"if life has no point whats the point in talking about it?"
 37yrs • M •
Thank you for actually giving some foundation to your response doom. Essentially, I full agree with you. Gone are the days of Conan and gritty adventure, but lets face it, fantasy novels, these days, are either, as you say, Tolkein inspired, or bits N' mix as in the context of the Harry Potter series. Don't even get me started on that.
If you could get someone else to respond, it would be great. I really do need some information here.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy