Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why won't they listen?

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why won't they listen?
When I was a kid, I would listen to my teacher. Then I see kids who don't listen, and I wonder, why?

Possible reasons
1- The material is not relevant to or meaningful in their lives
2- Teacher does not engage their attention (material is dull)
3- Student does not see listening as rewarding
4- Student seeks attention from other students, thus acts out
5- Student has attention weaknesses or disorders, possibly as a result of upbringing, trauma, or genes
6- Student has not been taught to listen to authority figures

What else can we add to this? What were the reasons you'd zone out or act out in class?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That pretty much covered everything with me.

probably more so with 2 and 5.

Dull Material and problems with my focused attention is not a good combo.

But I would add, as a whole, that the education system is so underdeveloped here that I don't even think they're required or feel the need to give incentive to want to learn or listen to what they have to say.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would say 4, 2, 5 are the most relevant in my school. For example today in a Ap US History class a student a 12th grader was hiding under the teachers desk for at least half an hour then popped out as the teacher sat down. This student did not get punished at all.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ahhhh oops I forgot to add in that 2 and 5 applied to myself ^__^;; I was kinda speaking from personal experience

but yess, my last year in high school I saw an amazinggg rise in class clowns and the teachers did nothing but take it out on everyone other than said class clownnnnn

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah it really is bullshit because of these class clown I actually have not learned anything in the history class. IT does suck because the teacher has given up and pretty much I am wasting my time because of them. I have seen a rise is "class clowns" through out the school this year. I have also been witnessing a rise in disobedience in the middle school as well. I personally think it is becoming an epidemic.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 34yrs • M •
Because school's no a days and this new world order shit, people just don't car or even want an educated society...

I know people are a little skeptical of conspiracy, but I absolutely believe this is what's happening because you can clearly see the downward spiral of our education over the past years.

42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You are correct in your findings for why kids dont listen. Everyone is different; but ALL are trying to fit in.

Like a jigsaw puzzle.

Think of a time when you are developing, metamophasizing, and changing so fast it overwhelms you; and you want to feel normal again: like you did as a child, but you are pushed into the deep end in the social pool of people. There are so many ways you will react.

It is normal for them to not listen; as they are too worried about their place in life. Teenage years are the biggest change a person ever experiences. So what 4 plus 5 is; really means little when this great change afects you.

For me, I just wanted to fit in. I wanted to be accepted. Really that's all we eternally want. To find a place were we belong.

Even in adult years it is difficult, it eventuates differently for all, we fiannly choose where we expect to get and who we want to be ... but for teenagers, it is THE priority in life.

Dont take any of it as bad teaching if they may not listen.

I never did. And 98 percent of my fellow students didn't either. And for so many reasons.

Just the fact teenagers are children learning to be adults and fit in; and are still learning the social do's and don'ts of human society is enough to know it ISN'T you who is failing to get though for your lack of talent.

Number 4 is my main reason I didn't listen. I paid more attention to what my fellow students where doing and how to impress them. The adults were the enemy. The teachers were the old farts we didn't relate to. We had to go to school and learning at that age meant bugger all.

You could look at all the other explanations too and see that they're reasons students don't listen. But you're right in that there are many reasons; and they are very complex. Just don't ever blame yourself.

I have also done a little thinking on what has changed since I was a student. And wonder if it has any effect.

Technology.

You look at any teenager on a Tram or bus, and they are plugged into their I pods all the way. They are playing their PSPs. Every spare moment they get; they jack into the latest revolution in technology and fry their brains.

Try and educate people who only see the world in the latest technological revolution.

I have no idea what a school classroom is like nowadays- but we used to write in books with pens. Everything we ever did was in different books. I have noticed that now most kids get computers to do their work on.

You have an advantage there.

But you have a total disadvantage with children growing up in the technological age.

They are weaned on the glitzy, shiny world of technology. They have so much color and so much loud noises to keep them satisfied. They become jaded so young.

And there you are, trying to teach them in a very basic environment, things they dont care to know about.

Look at it this way. You are taking kids raised in Las Vegas who are used to bright neon lights and poker machines and bells and whistles and putting them into a small plain, walled room with just you to entertain them.

Maybe it's that that makes them not listen.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
Why won't they listen?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy