Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The veil of society

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Gabriel23 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The veil of society
Society is a word, a stereo type. Society seems more of a general concensus than a factual thing. I feel the origin of society is found with early entertainment. I think plays and theatre laid the foundation of the imaginary concept of society. People today are still tryin to keep up with the Jones'. I feel in the united states society should stand for picking one another up, not keeping each other down. We should begin to choose differently, we should be working on benefiting one another and not leaving people behind, (even the "lowest of the low" of society) We need to develope our communication skills, to break silly patterns of the past. Thoughts?

"I never let the negativity of life, dull the beauty in my life."
[  Edited by Gabriel23 at   ]
 35yrs • F •
Lindaithiel is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I agree that society is a stereotype in and of itself but because it is merely grouping all people in all stereotypes together as a whole. America's society is definitely fixated on the building up and tearing down of people, as seen in regards to anyone famous. However I don't think this is just a problem in America.
The human race has forever had the fixation of tearing down people to get farther themselves, out of elitism, generally just because they can, or etc. In a world where everything seems to be a competition and competitiveness is rewarded over selflessness "society" will act accordingly.
I've been told that because I'm not competitive in many regards that I will not succeed at life. I have no doubt that many others have probably heard the same thing or some variation. So until "society" as a whole stops looking at one another from an elitist and competitive view then we're going to be stuck with the stereotype of society. Build them up and tear them down.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ster·e·o·type:
A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

Society is a stereotype of what?

What you've said makes absolutely no sense at all.

"He who does not question is lost."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that isilomir is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
So long as we're throwing definitions out there, we should at least include all the relevant ones. I'll leave out all the ones that have to do with making metal plates to avoid confusion.

ster•e•o•type:
1) Sociology. a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group
2) Categorize, type, identify.
3) A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
4) One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
5) To give a fixed, unvarying form to.
6) A conventional or formulaic conception or image
7) Treat or classify according to a mental stereotype
8) A too-simple and therefore distorted image of a group
9) A generalization usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group.
10) Something conforming to a fixed or general pattern
11) To repeat without variation

I don't believe the question of this thread is what society is a stereotype of. As Gabriel stated, society is a stereotype. It's impossible to say what society is a stereotype of because it includes and is made up of all stereotypes.

People use it the word "society" to stand for an entire group. In the past, this group was more localized, whereas now it has grown to mean a State, a Nation, a Nation-state, whole continents, and the entire world in some instances. Depending on what scale the word is used on, "society" can be a simplified conception with special meaning for the members of the group that's being described (Definition 1).

Additionally, people use the word "society" to categorize people. This is done all the time in social science courses. "The societies of the City-states of medieval Germany were very blah blah blah..." So it fits into Definition 2 as well.

There might not be a more appropriate word than "society" to fit Definition 3. People use a single word to oversimplify and create an opinion or image every time they use or mention "society." Depending on the tone used, the listener can be easily given the impression of a good society or a horrid one. As a test of this point, try defining the word Society in a single, clearly stated, and all encompassing sentence.

Definition 4 doesn't particularly apply to the word "society." However the people who are stereotypes (as defined by this definition) are not just conforming to the set image of their chosen stereotype, but they are conforming to the "society" that stereotype is a part of.

I think the point I'm trying to make is clear at this point, though if anyone would like me to continue for the other 7 listed definitions I'd be happy to oblige. But back to the topic at hand...

Lindaithiel never tried to claim that "Society" was a stereotype of something. In fact she makes the point in her first sentence that "Society" is the stereotype under which all other stereotypes fall. She then proceeded to explain her reasoning after which she offered a possible solution for the problem this topic is addressing: that being the stereotype of "Society" being used to veil messy and convoluted problems that most people would rather not deal with.

Both Lindaithiel and Gabriel are right. In order to tear down the veil that is created by the word "society," in all it's various definitions, everyone needs to start being courteous and selfless and they need to stop being elitist, competitive, and greedy. As Gabriel said, communication is key.

"Balance comes to all things in time. Some make it their duty to tear it apart. It is my duty to balance it out once more."
[  Edited by isilomir at   ]
 69yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Years ago, society was usually the people who lived in your own village or community, and were all of the same way of thinking. Nowadays, you rarely find two neighbours with the same views on life. This is because humanity has evolved from "sheep" to free-thinking beings. So, who is society? other than the government laws, we do as we please, without needing to conform to "society". I think the only thing people think about in how to go about life, how to dress and so on these days is the media. But thats just my opinion!

40yrs • M •
slarfuggle is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Skroo Sosyeti!

"meh."
The veil of society
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy