It is easy to look at a person through a magnifying glass, but it is infinitely impossible to hold a magnifying glass to a mirror. - Vortex271
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Schools Lack of preparation for life

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Gabriel23 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is it school or a nation wide daycare center? I feel if we are to change people's understanding, it should start with a complete reform of schools and their topical material. I feel as though school nurtures and encourages understanding as far as books can reach, it seems the only people (teachers) in schools that make a difference are those who are passionate about what they teach. When teachers are passionate about a issue, it becomes easy for them to shed understanding on the particular subject. I feel school does not teach the importance of thinking beyond the material world that surrounds it. Before we had all this material and things(wants) they studied by interest. Curiosity was the motive, the drive for understanding. I feel they are not teaching, but reading and lacking the ability to engage our youth, with true learning and true understanding. Thoughts?

"I never let the negativity of life, dull the beauty in my life."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would have to say the educational system has become a daycare system. I see it every day in my high school. We are learning from books and higher thinking and analysis of material is not really welcomed. Teachers only want the simple answer or what is in the book. A lot of my classmates can't even comprehend what higher thought is, most of the time they laugh in ignorance at what is being said. I usually end up discussing materials out of classes with friends where I know they will not laugh and be able to contribute a thoughtful response.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Schools definitely does not provide preparation for life. Everything is useful in theory. Basically the main things you need you learn in elementary school. For instance basic math, addition subtraction multiplication and division. Another we learn is to read. Social skills. Graphs. In high school we learn how to write essays, some history, more advanced math. Then if you choose you can go to university. I would say at university things change. It is definitely not a daycare. Teachers do not care if you show up to class. It is up to you to do your homework. Teachings at university are actually useful and it will open your eyes.

But, in high school they do not teach you anything practical. For instance I did not learn how to file a tax return. Anyone who works will have to do this in the future. Another thing I did not know how to do was write a resume. Or how about the importance of voting. How to get a loan from a bank. Nutritional fact information, so you know what it actually means. The list goes on and on.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy