Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

God: a reappraisal

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
By a strange paradox, the subject at hand is on everybody's lips but nobody's mind. For this is that area of inquiry which, being least amenable to certainty, also requires us to be at our most dogmatic. We grab for flowers, but only soil our hands. We climb the peak, but the way is obscured by mists. We talk, but it is a superabundance of nonsense.

There is no reason to think I can do any better. But nor is that a reason not to try. The recent publications on the attendant subject – I am thinking here of Dennett, Dawkins, Hitchens, McGrath, Blanchard – have been uniformly unimpressive. The atheists say that the phenomena of the universe, in all their wonder and multiformity, can be explained without recourse to theistic beliefs. The believers retort, with Dostoyevsky, that if God does not exist then the universe is without meaning or purpose. I accept both of these assertions, and concede that they raise prescient questions; but I will shelve them both for the time being, for the simple reason that they do not get to the root of the problem. It can easily be seen that neither are arguments for or against the existence of God.

I have an intimation of God. What do I mean when I say this? It is surely not without importance that it seems counterintuitive to say that I have an intimation of God's non-existence. Is this because God is a necessary being? One could render 'necessary' in two possible ways: in Spinoza's sense, as connoting something which is not limited by, or logically anterior to, anything else; or I could look at it as David Lewis does, to wit: as something which occurs in all possible worlds.
In other words: can we think about the world without instantiating God?

I leave this question open for the time being. I will continue with this later.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy