Everything in the world may be endured except continued prosperity. - Goethe - ExplodingGopher
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

No one knows anything.

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No one knows anything.
This is the beginning of true understanding and ultimate knowledge. Everything thing you think you know, every opinion you hold, everything you believe is worthless until you admit you know nothing for sure except that you know nothing. Very few people are completely independent of their convictions and are, in fact, defined by them, finding self-worth only in their expression of these convictions to anyone and everyone that they believe will listen--but few will listen to anything that opposes their self-defining core of opinion. Oh, well. Just thought I'd express my convictions. Lol!

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Nobody knows anything... everybody knows something they just dont know if they are right. For all i know i could be part of somebody's day dream, imagination and fantacy. who said i am anything, who said what i believe is the ulimate truth... within weeks ive realised that concepts that ive held tight to may be widely accepted superstitions... so yeah i agree with you and also disagree with you... nobody knows anything, but then again we know of this, therefore we know sometihng.. we need to balance it out.

Look at religious people... they cannot and will not accept that anything but what they are convinced of is truth.. to even consider it will show weakness of your faith, so many of them are BOUND by their beliefs, their convictions. you may say yeah i know religious people... but ive had my fair deal of experience, i was once a religious person, and that i accepted there might be something else was interpreted as my weakness of faith and giving into shaytaan's trap, i guess according to them ive eaten the poisened apple and know they are waiting to watch me die. shaytaan said just a bite, take a bite, a pretty apple for a pretty lady.

I am willing to accept that i am wrong, just present some pretty good arguments and i can give up my convictions, but yeah, at the moment the way i think and behave is all defined by what i believe in. I dont think there is anything we can do about that.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Look at religious people... they cannot and will not accept that anything but what they are convinced of is truth.. to even consider it will show weakness of your faith, so many of them are BOUND by their beliefs, their convictions. you may say yeah i know religious people... but I've had my fair deal of experience, i was once a religious person, and that i accepted there might be something else was interpreted as my weakness of faith and giving into shantytown's trap, i guess according to them I've eaten the poisoned apple and know they are waiting to watch me die. shantytown said just a bite, take a bite, a pretty apple for a pretty lady.
Ah, yes, indeed?
Hmm . . . you like old war stories? Anyway I had been posting pre-etty heavy in the science sections, Some may even say I was being obsessive? I started to think about it & I did find a commonality or a link. During my tour at war, I visited a city called DaNang and during that visit 2 things occurred that changed my whole point of view.
1) now, I was in the Marines so I was really dumbfounded to find that the air force base had a library. So never seeing anything like this before I borrowed (checked out) a 4 volume reference set on mathematics. Image some dude running around the jungles studying mathematics? I kind of think that maybe I was looking for some sanity in the world of the insane.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M •
Her! There IS something you can do about it, and you seem to be doing it: you are considering the possibility that you know nothing for sure! That sets you apart from the rest of the crowd. I personally cannot say that I know anything at all. I sometimes express thoughts and ideas that speak to me, almost haunt me, hoping that someone will at least give me a reasonable response 'for' or 'against.' But most arguments against use the very foundation of the topic I bring into question. Opinions 'for' are fine, but I value more strong arguments against. And arguments against I continue to question, hoping the argument will eradicate the thought or idea forever from my mind. Rarely happens, though. So am still plagued by them. Oh, well.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"nothing for sure except that you know nothing"

Contradictory much? Anywho, i think the main theme you aregoin for is humility and honesty right?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 46yrs • M •
Contradictory? Hmm. Well, the word "except" wouldn't make the statement contradictory, would it?...And, yes! Honesty and humility! I have to admit that you pretty much found an underlying theme to my rant, although I really didn't know what it was. Half the time I don't know what I'm getting at until someone clarifies it for me. And that's pretty much what I hope for. I value that in dialogue....Hmmm...I guess you're right...The statement is a contradictory one!! Thanx!

72yrs • M •
2) freshly deployed, I was called on to serve various duties, like taking out the trash. They grabbed up a couple of non-com's (low ranking) & handed us M16 & ammo & away we went out to the Air Force landing strip. Went along dumping trash cans into the back of a 6x (truck) then we drove out through the vill to a trash dump but we didn't unload it, we didn't have too. Because we no more than cleared the tree line coming into the dump & all along the edge, people came out of their little (cardboard boxes). Now being fresh replacements we had all been told about kids setting off bombs & such so we were more than a little paranoid.
Ya, see the guys out on those flight lines, they got some kind of brown bag lunch (air force) which of course contained some green looking sandwich meats which they deposited in the trash . . . these people running out to unload the truck were just glad to get the food.
So unlike places like MiLia, there are instant in which you can choose not to act out their insanity.

46yrs • M •
M16 A1 was my extra "arm." I lived with it like a vital organ and could almost feel it breath. Did alot of wading through the jungles of SA.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Shanty town? um i dont think so.

I wrote shaytaan.... aka mr devil himself, mr popular. Mr satan sir.

And do i like war stories? yeah.

Ive never touched a rifle, gun, sword, dagger in my life.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 46yrs • M •
Hmm, "her"...you've touched on a fundamental fact very few of us will acknowledge...we are all the SAME!---we have experienced everything everyone else has experienced---you know everything I know (and have experienced)--and you know everything everyone else knows (and experienced). Therefore you understand everything about human existence. Live it, "her." Experience it, because you already have. You KNOW! You are NOT an Ignorant fool or an innocent child. Innocent, YES! But ignorent, NO! How else can I express this idea?

72yrs • M •
Sorry about the misspelling. Actually I can blame the auto correction feature, it responded with the shanty town as a possible spelling variation. I thought 'Ah, Mad Max & the Thunder Dome series . . . but yes in away it did connect with the intended perception as you were using Satanic => evil => self centered attitudes?

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tibby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is that the best you got, wizardslogic?

"Does anyone here know what Occam's Razor is!?"
 46yrs • M •
Aw, Tibby...What can I say?--I guess that's it. So...what else did you expect, Tibby?..Whatever it was, Tibby, I'm sorry--Really I am...But if you give me an idea of what you expected I might grapple with my thoughts and, just maybe, I might come with something!--I dunno, Tibby--I promise I'll try, though--seriously, Tibby...(chuckles!).

46yrs • M •
Geez, dude--I wish I was less sure about myself to be influenced by some vague, unspecific contrary comment made by some electronic nonentity named "Tibby." Geez!

No one knows anything.
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy