Why drive a mile when you can jog a Mile? Because jogging is a pain in the ass. -
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Climate Change - beyond bias

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Here's the rub. Climate change is happening. What is the extent of human cause?

Those who say negligible are funded by corporations and oil companies promoting corparate greed.

Those who say large are funded by universities and governments who promote fear.

So what's the truth?

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I say humans are to blame, polution (sp?) is no joke.. and humans create it 24/7.

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree, we are poluting the world. There was a time when humans were protected from nature, animals, earth quakes... Now we've evolved into such idiots that nature needs to be protected from us.

Oil companies, cars, bottled deoderants, littering, whatever, everone is to blame. It;s not easy, not poluting in this world. So we're going to destroy the only home our species knew of.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 42yrs • M •
Yes. Most scientists think this. But I've learned that intellectual people are more easily convinced of a big lie than apparently niave people. Put an elephant in the room and the sientist will miss it - but he'll notice the mouse shitting in the corner.

I want to get down to facts, and then start to think of the truth; rather than the other way around. Lets get that clear:

facts - assimilate facts - truth

Of course 'land' pollution is a problem; it puts stuff in the ground and leaks causing direct health and environment problems which have been observed through nuclear problems, leaching of pesicides, various heavy metals. I don't think, though, that its a serious hazard to the world - I'd put it second to volcanic eruptions for instance.

I basically get the science behind a greenhouse effect, but I can't understand how much damage it would do - how temperature predictions are derived, and what assumptions are made. The literature amongst scientists, even a book I read on climatology, just takes the fact as a given. Thats always dangerous. That doesn't mean its inaccurate; but I want to know facts.

[  Edited by Jimbobby at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Global warming is definitely occurring... but then again, global cooling was definitely occurring in the 70s.

Total human greenhouse gas contributions
add up to about 0.28% of the greenhouse effect.

Water vapor, responsible for 95% of Earth's greenhouse effect, is 99.999% natural (some argue, 100%). Even if we wanted to we can do nothing to change this.

The question is, does that small amount still have such an enormous effect on our environment?

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • M •
That is THE question.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy