Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Scared to be atheist - Page 2

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Perhaps there is a God. but organized religion, ah thats just socilal control, it started off with sun gods and moon gods and then it moved on, and jus got better, the religions that followed didnt make the same mistakes as previous religions, so i think everyone is jus learning from others mistakes and they need some kinda control, so lets just say gods gna punish you for that. yup. i think i got it. So Gods lovely, people can kiss my foot.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its a well used cliche but theres a reason for that:

Fear is the only thing to fear.

Repeat that until you get what it means. If you don't you're going to continue being useless.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Evol is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that some people are scared to be athiest in case of a differant religion/ a god to be true.
For example
Christianity 9.9
If you donnot believe/ ask Jesus to come into your life, you're basicly fu**ed.
Cause you'll go to hell.
I believe and know that some people, though not all, believe these things out of fear.
Cause what if something like Christianity is true?
Then if you're Athiest you're living your life "the wrong way".

"I am contradiction"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From my own personal experience I have to believe there is something more than what atheism offers, but it's not about any fear of choosing the "wrong" religious path. I think there was some underlying truth that began all this religious madness we call social or organized religion. For me, Truth, whatever that may be, has to be a personal thing--after all, I am "alone" in the universe, just as any being that possesses consciousness must be. But I cannot even consider anyone else's conscious existence. I know only my own experience. I cannot confirm the actual existence of consciousness beyond my own. Everything and everyone, and everything that simply happens in my awareness may simply phenomena in my own bubble of space and time which, in truth, is the only reality for me and, strangely enough, may actually be a reflection of myself somehow. Therefore I should not be concerned with any religious beliefs, tenets, or behavior apart from myself. It's my responsibility to find Truth within my own being and understanding, whether that may be God or some other ultimate discovery. Social or organized religion is most likely a "mechanical" distortion of true spirituality. But I cannot deny the possibility of "something else" beyond physical perception. Not yet, at least.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My thoughts are slowly taking some kind of shape, God, i dont know, if hes there or not. I just see people now. And i agree with evol, theres a huge fear within me, at this moment, that its true, and im gna get kicked in the butt on the last day for making the wrong decision. But i guess the fear isnt big enough. I think theres more chance in my mind that there is no god than there being a God. so whatever that makes me...

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 34yrs • F •
kaz90 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
her

i think its easy to fall into the trap of chosing 'the right religion' as opposed to seeking god from the little we know about him.. remember religion in itself is man made... as in the creation of it.. jesus may have inspired chritsianity but we've all seen his words manipulated and distorted to support terrible things (as in all religions)..

in order to recieve salvation jesus' teachings told us to believe on him and to love others as ourselves etc etc... not to put faith in religion.. if anything jsus came to oppose the religiousity of the pharisees and their lack of love and compassion despite appearing to be bold religious figures....

our personal response to god from what we know of him (and what we seek of him) is to me the big decision as opposed to what set of rules or religion we put faith in.. i put no faith in religion as such, but a lot in god and the spiritual walk that encompasses that belief.....

i think what your sister said about not checking out other faiths could be because she fears you'll find another one to belive in etc.. which ultimately doesnt show a lot of faith on her end... altho i stand strong in what i believe i'm going to continue seeking for answers cos im far from having them all.... we are so small and cannot fathom or claim to know all the answers, even with all the effort religion makes to cancel out doubts and confusion.

we can only cling onto the rare truths we find along the way and let them guide our search.. but searching is not a result of a lack of faith.. perhaps even the opposite.. i believe that you'll understand your own faith better when you have an understanding of others.

remember that many people can be religious but have missed the boat altogether when it comes to knowing god and being spiritually connected. in the end thats the biggest thing.

sorry this was so long!! just food for thought

44yrs • M •
The Philosopher is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I'm an atheist and I'm not scared by the prospect of death (only the potential suffering leading up to death). However, I don't always profess to be an atheist in conversation with others because I'm scared that I will be treated differently because of my beliefs.

"I don\'t know why I am here, but I am, so I might as well make the most of it."
Scared to be atheist - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy