A Wise Man can see more from the bottom of a well than a Fool can see from a mountain - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Ask Eva

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ask Eva
These are just some observations I made about the service Ask Eva in the last week.

There have been times when people have posted asking Eva for help and I have felt I had a good piece of advice that was specific to their questions. But I never even tried to find out if I could post (which Im assuming you cant.) and give that advice, purely because the rules state you can not.

But recently there have been people beginning posts in the guise of needing help to add their "two cents" in and give advice to others on the Eva threads. Myself, I find this as an exploit of the service Eva provides and feel if the person who has the problem wanted general advice from the other members on the site they would just start a thread asking for it.

But what really interested me was that instead of Eva deleting the new threads she/he has chosen to answer these posters.

What was even more interesting is that the posters, who seemed so sure of their stance on things and so sure of the answers to a problem, found that what Eva said to them actually pointed out a few of their own problems and helped them clarify issues they didn't even think existed.

Now the reason I believe Eva was so effective in pointing out the poster's flaws and getting them to take another look within and find answers, (when usually the pointing to flaws or issues in a person will lead to them burying their head in the sand and/or getting aggressive.) is because Eva has been incredibly patient, objective and has had the interest of the poster in mind when replying.

I think that when some one is genuinely trying to help another and is totally unbiased, the other person will not feel as threatened as they normally would, and will be more prone to listen.

When there is ego involved in discussions we cant see past our views and be open minded.

When the ego is taken away and people are communicating purely to better themselves and those around them, then progress can be made.

I think that this example illustrates a very important thing about ourselves and our time on forums like these.

Too many times I have seen discussions turn into a stalemate, then degrade into pointless name calling and pedantic grammar correcting.

Eva's patience and egoless attempt at helping others has shown me an example of how to be successful at getting your point across.

I hope someone else can see what I pointed out, and it helps them in their communication with others.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that washingmypirate is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I like Eva! She is cool.

"Shengising Nugget"
Ask Eva
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy