The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity - SirKohl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Colours and the Mind

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Colours and the Mind
Hello all, I have not posted anything for some time...
Been waiting for something interesting to come along...

This is something I started thinking about long ago (maybe ten-eleven years)...
Firstly, I have tried to come up with a system, but I think the idea has 'been done' before...
What I was hoping for was for you to help me, either with your own ideas, or maybe reference (preferably web-links) to someone else who has done it before...

The idea is that each colour and it's shades all have a different meaning...

Most of the meanings I tried (in my own attempt of a system) involved each colour representing a different emotion on the fact held by the mind...

This idea of colours representing emotions would work best when you combine it with other mental systems to put things into context...

Can you help? Or,
Do you have anything interesting to say on the topic?

Ps. Examples may include 'feeling blue', having a 'dark personality', 'brightening up someone's day', etc.

...I'll leave it there for now...

"There is no negative one..."
 46yrs • M •
I googled 'Colours and their Meaning'...
I came up with a lot of leads there...

One thing I realised is that you may feel differently about a colour from what colour you're using now and also if you work with something consuming you completely as opposed to something only taking up part of your view...

...I'll write more as I learn more...

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A lot of New age philosophies that talk about crystals and numerology and various divination techniques talk about such a colourology if you like. Wiccans use different coloured candles and plants and ribbons for different effects in spells. Colours are often chosen specifically for the clothes we wear depending on the mood we are in. What about mood rings?
Also people tend to have different favourite colours and this often corresponds to their birthday and the corresponding birthstone. For example my favourite colours have always been blue and purple, recently I discovered my birthstone is purple. I once had someone do a colour reading on me just by my choice of which order I put certain colours in, it was fascinatingly accurate.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 46yrs • M •
Thanks for the input, Sorceress!

I've glanced at a few sites now...
Gee! Do they give a lot of meanings for one colour...
I would hope there is a more simple system for using colour meanings than to memorise all the given meanings...

But to make things more complicated...
Often when sites discuss colour meanings, they concentrate on the main colour, as opposed to going into the meanings of different shades of a colour...
You may also like to think (apart from shades), of things like 'shinyness' and also how colours combine (at a time when the complex emotive state relies on more than one colour)...

Also, something else to think about...
How many areas do we use that are colour-relative or colour-dependant? and, if possible, What are these areas? and, How do they use colours differently?

Again, will write more when I have more to say...

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I always thought about colours, but what i thought was a bit differant. if i see pink as my pink, then perhaps when you look at my pink you see it as my blue, do you get that, is that possible, like i always see it as my pink but if i was to look through your actual eyes i would see what i associated as blue. imaghine that, in your eyes the sky being like my red, subhanallah.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is that simialr to colour blindness?

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 46yrs • M •
Yeah, I've thought of that before, too!
I think it's one of those things how we all see the world differently...
Essentially 'Light' appears on the 'Electro-Magnetic-Radiation' spectrum, with each colour having a particular frequency...
However, whether the different minds see the same frequency as the same colour... I really don't know...
Colour-blindness, I think, relates to the inability to see particular colour...
Think about a TV screen. The colours are all combinations of Red, Blue and Green (again, I think). If you don't see green, you'll only pick up on combinations of shades of Red and Blue...
I guess Colour-Blindness may be more common than that by working in different ways, like limiting the ability to see particular shades, due to some other phenomena. But, I've never heard of this before. Even then, I still think it possible. And, that kind of thing could lead to someone seeing your Pink as Blue (or more blueish)...

I also want to add a few things that fall into the category of different shades...
This would be qualities of colours, like: 'Brightness', 'Paleness', 'Shininess', & 'Darkness'...
These qualities would compare just to the 'more normal' shades of a colour...

As well as that... I wanted to share the idea, that, if colours can be involved with different sections of the brain, they may well likely make a different message (which would depend on the function of that brain area)...

For example, let's think about a couple of things that would be considered opposites... How about 'Love' and 'Fear'... Okay, they are not complete opposites, as they work in different ways...
Let's consider how they may motivate us to act...
Borrowing the meaning from traffic lights, lets say Green is 'Go ahead' and Red is 'Stop'...
Now let's think of something we are most likely to want to do.
Let's say I am hungry, I have food, the food is good, I have time to eat, etc...
I am most likely going to experience the colour Green in areas where I would love to eat, and Red where I would fear to eat....

Essentially how you feel about something may (in the way that it is communicated within you) come down to what shade of which colours are being used in which brain areas...

I have thought about this a bit and am looking next towards things like: colours in the body (as opposed to brain only), how interactions with other people and objects work (which kind of completes the full message felt by a situation's experience) and trying to narrow down somehow what colours actually mean (without borrowing part of the meaning from a particular brain area they may be used in)...

...again, will write more, as I find out more...

42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
All very insightful. Far too much thinking.

People in jail are given colours like beige because it calms them.

I know: maths teachers at school always wear beige or brown trousers and probably go around in a brown car with brown leather seats and a touch of mahogany dash to make things exciting in their little worlds.

If you want to make a rock club you're not going to paint it beige are you?

If you want to set up a 'new age healing' shop to make money - (yes I said to make money - like Bono when he steps off a jet plane and dribbles on about save the world)- you'd paint it lilac or purple because the fools that enter will think its hyp.

Nope, all this how does science relate to our essence nonsense is silly. Get yourself a red bike and ride off a cliff into the sea and you'll get the complete spectrum: red right through to blue - and then black- quite quickly.

Alternatively, I suggest an album by Jet called One by One. Much better way to waste time.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
apparently some people can smell colours, or see colours by touching them and not actually looking at them. What's going on there?

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Source - pathway - receptor.

The source is information or particles. The pathway is by waves through space and time. The receptor is the brain. Some individuals are able to taste colours for example because the neurological receptors are different to others.

I have no evidence of your claims. If these can be tested in a laboratory a sufficient number of times then I would suggest the answer lies somewhere in a more advanced sense perception neurology.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
Colours and the Mind
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy