If the world could remain within a frame like a painting on the wall, I think we'd see the beauty then and stand staring in awe. (Conor Oberst) - iSOUGHT|THOUGHT
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

2008 Election

User Thread
 37yrs • M
Daneaothoc is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
2008 Election
Who are you going for?

[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Obama appears genuine in his intentions for the country, and his proposed plans are reasonable for the current condition of the US. Obama seems to be more focused on protecting us at home, which has it's pros and cons, but it may be a good change for a short time. Clinton's health care plan seems stronger to me though. Bros before Hos!

Alas, my knowledge in all things political is very limited.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can't add much as I'm off to work, I need to bone up on candidates as well, but so far I'm liking Ron Paul more than any of these corporate whores.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
Haha, Ron Paul would really change things around. I think people would feel too weird having him as president right after Bush. Too bad he'll never win.

46yrs • M
I see the Congressman Dr. Ron Paul candidacy as a golden opportunity for all sorts of reasons.

Other less mainstream candidates, i.e. non corporate candidates not supported by corporate media, have come close to stealing the show before, such as Ross Perot, but were ultimately squashed by special interest controlled political process with little ability to tap the genuine and rather vast grass roots support, i.e. the will of the people who don't have their head completely up someone's ass.

Today we have the same grass roots support exponentially growing for Dr. Paul with one key difference. This time around the grass roots efforts not only have a rock solid candidate, in terms of qualifications and consistency of message and practicing what he preaches, but this grass roots effort has access to a far more pervasive and established "grass roots" medium, the internet.

This cannot be over emphasized.

The strength of Dr. Paul's popularity has been evidenced in multiple televised debate polls in particular. These are far more significant than many other polls that Dr. Paul is not leading because these polls are in direct response to people who were viewing and listening to these candidates points, whereas many others, if they even list Dr. Paul, cannot be as assuring that those voting are even aware of his existance, especially not in any neutral sense.

After these televised debates cable news could do little more than declare that Dr. Paul's poll numbers were being manipulated due to, in multiple cases, his winning.

quote:
I think people would feel too weird having him as president right after Bush.

I disagree, I think the public is dying for a candidate just like him because he is so different than Bush.

I think the issues holding people back from fully embracing him is not his drastically different direction but because of concern over people's own confusion, fear, ignorance of, primarily, the "war on terrorism" and, at close second, the same states of mind on the issue of politics in general.

As for his posistion on the "war on terrorism" the only people I see in disagreement with him are those parroting the idea that people are wanting us dead because they are bat-shit insane, a rediculous and over-simplified assertion pushed by Bush himself and "conservative talk" radio and tv, even many "liberals" such as Hillary.

His defense of course is that no, that is not the reason, the reason is that we invade, occupy, and or simply bomb and kill them a lot, and it pisses them off, go figure. But then he gets treated like he is a martian, by selective crowds mind you.

Of course, not even his posistion is this simple, but without going over the entire history of these issues, it will have to suffice.

If people don't want Dr. Ron Paul as President, than they probably aren't too concerned about living under the U.S. Constitution, ya know, that Bush defined "goddamned piece of paper" that makes America what it is (or was), distinguishing it from all other countries before and since it.

So far as I have seen, Dr. Paul cannot be touched in terms of both impecible records on voting consistency, and both the fight against corruption and the lack of his own.

Obama, the only Democrat candidate I'm even curious about after Kucinich shot himself in the foot on the gun issue for me, shares with Dr. Paul an open stance against corruption. Unlike Dr. Paul, to my knowledge, Obama actually faces charges of corruption of his own.

http://www.politicalgateway.com/main/columns/read.html?col=688

But plain and simple, no one really shares Dr. Ron Paul's posistion.

He advocates real change by addressing the causes of the problems.

I don't hear anyone else calling for the abolition of the I.R.S. or the Federal Reserve. Two of the greatest sources of corruption as well as the abuse of the people through the usurpation and manipulation of our money, metaphorically referable to as our "lifeblood".

Nor do I hear many others calling for the ending of our involvement in such organizations as the WTO, NAFTA, GAT as well the the coming American Union. Entities that directly affect our sovereignty, as well as our money once again.

I think Dr. Paul's candidacy can be expressed as the opportunity to get "Back to Basics". Something that we desperately need.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 46yrs • M
I don' blame you one bit.

He's only running republican, he is an old styled conservative, not this neo conservative bs, and primarily a libertarian constitutionalist, he ran once before as an independant getting nowhere due to our rigged system.

I don't think we need to fear Republicans so much as Neo Conservative Republicans, their the ones behind all this madness at the legislative and administrative level. They are students of Leo Strauss and practitioners of Machiavellianism. The most two faced underhanded and ruthless ideology that ever existed.

A practice in which Dr. Paul is abhorrently against, and actively fighting.

This should allay such fears, as I shuddered as well, at first.

46yrs • M
The question I would pose in this thread after the third recent mention I've heard of it recently...

Is, how many of you would vote for a Hillary-Obama ticket?

46yrs • M
Update on Ron Paul stories.

Since I have interest in the candidate I have watched some of the goings on with his campaign as well as reactions to it.

The most interesting part comes with something alluded to in his introduction to the site as per this thread.

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/28546/3/ignorant-voting-the-death-of-
democracy.htm#67350

The fact of the matter is, Ron Paul has won the majority of all debate polls and straw polls.

The mainstream media actually tried to suggest that he simply had hackers backing him and fudging outcomes, even in situtaions where hackers could have no influence.

Now straw poll results have been coming in and we see Dr. Paul taking them by storm.

However, the first, biggest, and most widely reported on straw poll in Iowa had Paul in 5th place with far less vote percentages than his average outcome.

Interestingly there was visibly inaccurate reporting on the size of crowds supporting particular candidates, primarily in reference to Paul and Romney, Romney being the reported winner of the poll.

Not only was such information visibly skewed, this was the poll that used Diebold voting machines, the same ones mired in scandal from presidential elections of late. And there was a reported delay on counts do to "malfunction".

The result of which ended up with nearly half of the paying attendees suddenly tabulated as not having voted. Though I don't know all the facts of these matters, there seems justifiable reason for concern on the issue of integrity.

Iowa Straw Poll

Mitt Romney 4516 31.5%
Mike Huckabee 2587 18.1%
Sam Brownback 2192 15.3%
Tom Tancredo 1961 13.7%
Ron Paul 1305 9.1%
Tommy Thompson 1039 7.3%
Fred Thompson 203 1.4%
Rudy Giuliani 183 1.3%
Duncan Hunter 174 1.2%
John McCain 101 1.0%
John Cox 41 0.1%

14,302 Total Votes
26,000 Total Tickets Sold

This is also the poll that Romney garnered all kinds of media attention for his win, including reportingly spending around 2 million to bus people to the event, while in contrast Paul has won multiple televised polls and literally laughed at and berated in many cases by the very same media.

Results for other straw polls. You can judge for yourself whether you feel the results warrant any attention or lend credence to my concerns.

Alabama

Tom Tancredo - 0 (0%)
Sam Brownback - 2 (.75%)
John McCain - 2 (.75%)
Mike Huckabee - 6 (2%)
Rudy Giuliani - 7 (3%)
Fred Dalton Thompson - 9 (3%)
Duncan Hunter - 10 (4%)
Mitt Romney - 14 (5%)
Ron Paul - 216 (81%)

New Hampshire

Ron - 208 (73%)
Romney - 26
Huckabee - 20
Tancredo - 8
McCain - 7
Cox - 5
Hunter - 5
Fred Thompson - 3
Giuliani - 3
Brownback - 1

Washington

Paul, 45 - 30%
Thompson, 40 - 27%
Giuliani, 29 - 20%
Huckabee, 12 - 8%
Hunter, 10 - 7%
Gingrich, 8 - 5%
McCain, 3 - 2%
Brownback, 1 - 1%
Gilmore, 0 - 0%
Hagel, 0 - 0%

Ultimately, what concerns me the most about this is that I feel I am witnessing one of the greatest visual and verifiable outrcyings of the people of this country for change, not just vague ambiguous change, but specific and articulate change of all the cliches of a bought and paid for corrupt elitist system in exchange for a back to basics sound ethical practice of a democratic republic actually representative of the will of the people.

The concern comes not in the outcry for such change, or the relief that such passion is translating to votes, but the evident resistance to the will of the people in response to it.

I see Dr. Paul's candidacy as not only safe to get behind, where I don't feel I have to worry about whether he is lying to me or not or whether his personal views will outweigh that of the collective people's, but as an opportunity to stand up to the empire.

What I see is a challenge laid at the feet of the people of this country, I have heard it said that this man stands no chance, and since it appears he speaks for a majority of americans who aren't giving into fear and blind fealty, they are by proxy saying that the will of the people stands no chance.

This makes my stomach turn.

But this is the point where the people must make it known what they really do want, freedom or tyranny.

40yrs • M •
I think after watching this, every other candidate seems like a complete idiot.

Federal Reserve Pwned by Ron Paul.
This video appears to have been removed

46yrs • M
I think these add to your point. And I highly recommend viewing the televised debates.

46yrs • M
Ron Paul Wins Maryland Straw Poll

Ron Paul - 263 (28%)
Rudy Giuliani - 220 (24%)
Fred Thompson - 188 (20%)
Mitt Romney - 89 (10%)

John McCain - 54 (6%)
Mike Huckabee - 35 (4%)
Tom Tancredo - 16 (2%)
Sam Brownback - 12 (1%)
Duncan Hunter - 3 (0%)

Write Ins:
New Gingrich - 17 (2%)
Bob Ehrilich - 3 (0%) (Ehrlich is former Republican Governor of MD)
Other - 11 (1%)

Spoiled ballots - 15 (2%) (e.g. voted for more than one candidate)

Total votes cast - 926

And Fox News' New Hampshire Debate, much to Mr. Hannity's chagrin.

Yet, what is Sean's response, Paul's supporters cheated, and Fox's headlines?

Pavarotti dies and Fred Thompson officially announces candidacy on Leno.

This is hilarious, yet horribly sad all at the same time.

How blatant and obvious do things have to be before people really get sick of it all?

76yrs • M •
oldcorps1947 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I personally have not found a candidate that will unite the country. I am fed up with the way our politicans and media have developed a strong atmosphere of divison.
We have major problems that need to be solved, and nothing is going to occur with all the finger pointing. We citizens are the big losers.
The only time there is a unification is after a crisis. And even then the bitching starts over how the solution was found.
We need a heavy arm of enforcement against street gangs, illegal immigration. We need education reform to change the delivery system of education (I support on-line education for grades 9-12). And there are numerous other areas that only the federal government will be able to address to provide a better life for citizens.
I will vote, but it will be probably for a candidate that I have reservation about.

"Life is an adventure of discovery."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tazzlyn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Inspire."
2008 Election
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy