Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines! - PhoebeKnowsAll
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Genius - How would you know?

User Thread
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My daughter looked down in her lap where the shiny object (toy) was - and then back up at myself and her female - parent.

She aparently wished to join us across the room but did not wish to leave the thing behind...

Logically she concluded that she should gather the object with both hands, stand, steady herself and proceeded to walk across the living room...

The only remark - worthy tidbit is that: this was the first time Delanie had strung together more than one step unaided, and she was only 7.5 months old...

Your belief is not a requirement... (doubts)... as a matter of fact if that is where you'v begun, I am surely not speaking to you...

And if your intention is to respond surrepticiously injecting your disbelief, again: silence to the 'peanut-gallery'

If your ire, (not Irie) is rising... same thing

The fact of the matter is that if the individuals developing the tests are less intelligent than the ones taking the tests...

then it is impossible for them to discover anything but the redundant-obvious... (ie. "We don't know how smart you are yet."...

I don't expect to be widely accepted - (this is not a premise) -

If one is from the tribe of genius, we already know the language of the dictionary becomes more of a sandy shakey ground upon which to communicate every year... IF

Then factor in "common - sense" - mix in "colloquialisms" and you soon find that there are not padded cells anymore just outpatients who forget their appoinments...

A sense of humor, a sense for the Irony, that is a requirement if one wishes a female to have some confidence in his ability to understand a fraction of her ways -

which are often contradictory, (like the ironic) - just trying to help.

Poor Dr. Phil - I can sense him rolling over in his sleep, moustache scratching the pillow noisily...

It is all very funny to a Jamaican like me:

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Wait a second thought - If I have a bird in my hand, logic would say -

"Why not crush the dickens out of the little fella', push him in my pocket and then use my two freed hands to collect the ones in the bush?"

I might have 3 birds by the end of the venture... aparently I've proven I can catch birds!

Don't think I'm speaking to you if you are 'reasoning' -

"What if someone gave you the birds?" Jamaicans (real ones) don't like anyone to give them anything.

"What if you want the birds alive?"

Again silence in the court - your judgement is like that of every excuse making prisoner locked down/up in every jail/prison out there... none of them are guilty either -

Go visit the institutions of incarciration... everybody didn't do it... they're all innocent... responsibility is not the language of the failures...

Genius = Responsibility...

(among other things - for the escape artist who wants to point out how much I left out, instead of simply confirming the truth of the statements and moving onward and upwards.)

The intelligent often feel responsible because the always feel the CAN.

They have always felt ABLE

It's a habit they develop as a byproduct of their ability to figure things out themselves.

Another is stuborn ness... because when you are usually right, and then you can't figure something out easily, you may devalue it in your mind, concluding that if it had worth - (you're smart) - you would have figured that out

So if you "feel" the glass is half empty/full - it's just HALF

You will recieve 100% of the value of the contents of the glass when selling them... (your negotiation skills not withstanding) put it to you like this...

My fiance' cannot SAVE money at a sale... she always spends 100% of the money she spends... the only way to SAVE the money is not to spend it at all!

Remember we are Cynics... so respond in any way you wish... I happen to know that my kindness really burns some people to the core of their being and that is exactly what they need too

Remember I am a Jamaican, and I may not embrace all of the culture of any other country, even though I was in the Marine Corps for your wars... even though ect. ect.

"A thin line between love/hate? genius/insanity?"

Ha' ha' ha' ha' -

Ok.. is there a thin line between a slap in the face and robbing your wallet and then giving you a hug? ha' ha' ha' -

Look if the Oh so serious philosophers responding can loose some of it for a second, the big picture will become apparent...

And if your seriousness has produced no tangible actual values in you life and the lives of those you claim to love? - Then there is no need to be ... anything at all

Because you may not believe in the tangible world, and all your intangibles can't be touched or stolen or threatend in any way... think what you want... there's the Kingdom right there - ha' ha' ha'....

Like I said at the begining, this is no premise... These are truths upon which plenty of happiness has been established over the last 27 years... I'm 35 and we came to this country as a family 40 years ago...

OH - and plenty of tangibles have been produced as well... the best thing for the nay-sayer is to just discredit it all as probally illegally done.

Then again I could be a Jewish-Jamaican, we do have one of the oldest synagogues in the region - 300 years old.

I could be a Chinese-Jamaican, or a Caucasian-Jamaican, or Eastern Indian-Jamaican... there's just no telling... I could be an African-Jamaican... but

over the phone we all kinda' sound like Bob Marley

Take it easier

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zyphon is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the mind is a powerful thing. without it there is no individual.
we are not separate.

with wisdom and (genius) does one become judgemental? they have seen it all there is no more to see they no it all. those who claim wisdom have abviosly missed something?

but what if they only speak of wisdom, but never claim it?

is it wisdom or a subtle hint?

race matters not. all the name of different races means is 'I lived somewhere aother than you' the color means 'I am better suited for this or that than you.'

why does relations tend to hinge on race?

Because people are judgemental.

"sad is the heart that loves. its usually broken"
 31yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that KG-nonvirgin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Intelligence is an overrated theory
With it you stand out. same as without
There are things that seem mote important, so if there are really intelligent people actually exsisted in the real world then why are these cured and/or solved
    World peace
    Every one fucking wants it
World hunger
There are alot of people starving, and yet some of us are stuffing our faces and throwing away stuff that could have fed an entire African village
    AIDS
    People have this to, all because some horny bastard couldn't get any from his own species so he had to get some from a Monkey
STD"S in general
I thought sex was great, oh boy was I wrong when I heard of what I could catch
[list] Cancer
Why isn't there a cure to Cancer?

So yeah if real intelligence exsisted then these problems and epidemics would be solved!

Anyone want to debate?

Any one?

"Sex is unpredictable, sometimes you get it Great! others it fucking sucks!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
So yeah if real intelligence exsisted then these problems and epidemics would be solved!

Anyone want to debate?

Any one?

How about people intelligent enough to create and infect you with some of these epidemics while keeping possibly existant cures from you?

There are infinite variations of genius and intellect, we all are, were, or will be geniuses on some level about some thing or group of things, whether we ever know it or not.

The idiot savant is a prime example of the inadequacy of such limited terminology and the criteria meant to determine said classifications.

Even a college psych class told me that I.Q. tests are almost worthless depending on simply where you are from and what you were raised like, what culture, language, and even dialect, etc.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 52yrs • M •
Thank you Ironwood and KG-nonvirgin for engaging in a debate... I truly believe differences are the building blocks of peace, understanding ect. Differences often identify areas where dialogue needs to exist and often isn't there to be had...

So we are already the Meritorious-unforgotten ones, because we practice this ancient art of dialogue, or debate.

Zyphon, thank you for the comment: Also for the oppurtunity not to interrupt the other two because I can respond to you until they reach a logical conclusion... and then we can advance our 'building blocks' in the direction of their bridge(s)...

Discrimination - it is a practice present in every field of endeavor... the scientist will use "Akham's Razor" - a mental exercise which parallels the Scientific Method...

This device helps limit the tendency to err as an solitary-thinker by tempering leaps of logic with a standard for such logical leaps... (outside of hope and faith it's a safety net)

Using it is humbling, which helps define the strength of one'self, one's thoughts ect. ect. ect. Humble taken as a strength because, you can only see the stength of something once it is placed under a weight... (en' garde)

Solomon said: "Wisdom and Folly... between wisdom and folly, wisdom is better than folly, but when you weigh them on the 'scales' they weigh the same."

This from one of the premier if not the best Judge ever to sit over the people of that storyline... Proverbs - his book of wisdom - is applicable in everyday life... and the proof is in the pudding.

The main problem I have found with certain 'brands' of wisdom is the reference point of the reader in relation to the reference point of the "author".. (nothing new under the flaming ball of gas)

So if Donald Trump's school of thought is foriegn to most, it isn't a surprise, because his reality is a foriegn experience to most as well...

Just because of the inability of a mass to "get it", we don't empty the man/woman's bank account or call it criminal...

But MANY of us are judgemental - extremly so when we encounter the new, original, unheard of... even more so when the revelation is one that is fantastic.

You may have heard someone say of a very wealthy person;
"How did he get all that, he must have done something wrong."

The shelter for a Farmer who witnesses a UFO is twofold...

One - I don't know everything, all I am admitting is I can't identify what I saw... who could hold that against me?

Two - You can't call me crazy for not knowing what I saw

In many variations the list goes on and on of course, but in a circle.. the pattern is obviously avoidence possibly rising from a lack of desire for technical knowledge, or "book learning" - because most know, that, all any of us needs to learn a subject, is the interest and the oppurtunity.

because if he had any brains in the rural area where he's been raised.. the real genius is expressed by one's ability to deal with the soi, land and the animals... and run a profitable or balanced business of it too.

To do so any of us would have to integrate several disciplines at once, and that's no "dumb" hick...

So by relating to productivity, I cannot condone escapism... so a lazy body on the farm, may be able to split atoms with his ideas...

Maybe the farm isn't the place for that one to see their potential affect the community positively - to see a fish as itself you have to come to terms with the fact that you "cant free a fish from water"

In the act of judging the judgemental ones, you have to become what you distaste... conclusive

"Equal" success can be derrived from a number of experiences in any type of country... and you're right Race is not intergral to mental exercises... but being a relative, and having relationships and relativity.... you must be able to communicate

Or there can only be an incidental relationship... with very little depth or character to it , you know, limited

.. and the influence upon one another will become more and more physical, or if you will, ... material

Everyone has our basic needs due to the nature that man is developed into, that is in most every country (with no exception I can concieve of that is).

My father says that Knowledge can be had at any age.. it is simply the "know how" to do a thing

But Wisdom is knowing how not to do it...

A safe harbor for some is to negate the value of that which is not in their possesion...
I am glad you did not do that... for if such a thing as wisdom did exist, then who in their right frame of mind would say they don't want any...?

Because it is not EASY to attain towards, most forgoe the journey whenever another option/opinion exists that will free them from the labor.

That is limit.

A person "blazin" a trail in the jungle or forest or across the tundra, doesn't get more than a direction... no map - others will follow him/her and make a map for themselves... but a trailblazer doesn't need one in order to set out on the journey of life.

Life is a journey not a destination... We're all headed the same place for sure... graves

That's enough destination for me - determined by outside authority

Individuality exists among us... many do conform and sacrifice individuality (their possesion) in order to conform.

It's even necessary at times to subdue the effect of one's own individuality upon his/her own thoughts and behavior so that communities can thrive... we're not alone

Equality exists in scientific theory and mental exercises and should hardly ever be used addressing humans... bank accounts yeah - and that's math/science - humans?...not even with clones... the "SAME" is equal which is to say - 1 -

If it's the same then there is no difference

Unbelieveable - A quarter mile track at any school proves this readily, there's a first and a last place, and not just because we say so...

Off topic? No because as Ironwood, I know there are infinite variations of "genius" - including Physical Genius.

It's not sufficient to strip people of their differences in verbage while it remains in reality... What if the very difference someone "strips" from you is the fulcrum upon which your entire line of logic is balanced?

So Race matters and it doesn't...

Racism is an accusation that defends itself once it is out of the accusor's mouth. It is the hidden hand of cowardly and lazy intellects holding back the flood of the WILL TO POWER.

Shakespear wrote more about power struggles than Love.

As Ironwood intimates in his response - (I paraphrase) - Culture can negate much of the effectiveness of Psychology and Psychotherapy and I.Q. tests, if not factored in when we deliberate.

Any person who refuses to come to a conclusion and occupy a defined position, is most likely afraid of being located for a reply or retaliation... Judgement is judged... that's why a judge can be fired.

Notice - I addressed you as if to imply that I believe: you would understand the depth of my thoughts on the issue, because age means very little... that is Respect... a subject for a later "string"

Peace/War

32yrs • M •
i kind of like your examples with the farmers because, well i live on a kind of farm. but in the eyes of others i will never amount to splitting atoms with my thoughts. when society sees me just for what i look like they see a teenager who has Marphans syndrome is thin but not pale appears to be a textbook nerd but is not. i/he this teen has cokebottle glasses bad haircut but thats because of were he was raised. they shall never see who a person is because everyone makes some small judgement. some act on there judgement of others and some dont. But when someone gets to know me they dont see what society sees at all. they see the person that i am. who i am is a complete betrayal of my physical looks.

sorry bout all that.

if we are all headed to the grave (some of us sooner than others) why do we strive so hard to make an image that will last , when in years to come none of us will be remembered. in history the only people to be remembered are religious fanatics mass murderes sycopaths or other disturbed people. but then you come across those who follow good codes who believe in righteous things but only because someone wrote their name down somewere safe. or do people make big images and good impressions so that they feel better about them selves?

none can understand the depth of words compared to the person who wrote them. others may think along the same path. but each and every person puts different meaning in the things that they say.

i know this isnt on this topic but i have to say it anyway.
one part of the defintion in religious peoples mind of god is that he can do anything, correct?
well if he can do anything, can he make something big enough that he cant lift? and if he can, how can he not lift it, hes a god. and if he cant? again. how can he not hes a god?

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Not to be rude guys, but I'm afraid I have found most of this thread very waffly, lots of waffle going off in different tangents and not really coming to any conclusions.

How would you know genius? Well to be honest there is definately a very fine line between madness and genius, that's for sure.
Genius I suppose is real inteligence, the type of intelligence that most everyday folk just could not come up with on their own.
Original thought, creative flare, scientific breakthrough. Generally because these people think in a very different way to you and me.
And true genius can be found in the most unlikely places, have to go my daughter wants to get out of the bath...I shall think on this subject and get back to you.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
I'm afraid I have found most of this thread very waffly, lots of waffle going off in different tangents and not really coming to any conclusions.

The waffles were served by the original poster, in that the question is over-generalized and the subject matter, like so many others, is both subjective and infinite in scope.

This means there is no definitive answer, so enjoy the waffles, to which you have already added some syrup, mind you.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
oh yes I do like a little syrup on my waffle

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I am trying to follow this discussion, but for some reason it escapes me- like trying to grab air in my bare hands and keep it there.

I like your unique way of thinking AdamSethGod. But I find you jump around so much its hard for you to get your message across.

I cannot even say if I agree with your ideas or disagree yet.

You may say, "Pfff. If you cannot see what Im trying to say then that's your lack of intellect of perception. My ideas still stand."

But then what is the point of posting on a forum to discuss your ideas with others if they cannot comprehend your main message enough to give you logical and decent discussion on your own level?

The fact I have taken the time to address this thread and ask you for a little more solid and understandable wording shows that I think you have something to offer.

You just need to go a little slower and try and address one thing at one time.

As far as your style of writing, I actually find it very entertaining and uplifting. Have you considered poetry or story writing. Id be interested to read what you wrote.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 32yrs • M •
um chainedwings, not to be the thorn in the rear. but what point would there be in revising how he writes so we can understand, if thats just how he does things. maybe if he changes the way he writes it wouldnt get the same point across.

42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ah, the ever present thorn in my rear.
To answer your question:

I was giving constructive critism. Many people have said the original poster has gone off on too many tangents and even ascribed it to having similarities to a certain food substance.

In my saying that I like his overall way of thinking; BUT he needs to tweak it so its more concise and therefore easier to understand, Im helping him.

Im sure if you wanted to talk to someone about something, wouldn't you be happy for encouragement and a little help in how to get your message across?

Im sure you would prefer me telling you Im not quite on your wavelength but think you may have something to say- as opposed to just nodding for a bit, then taking the first opportunity to make for the door?

After all, if you were wanting to engage in a conversation in a certain community that didn't speak Japanese you would not speak Japanese to them. Every word you say might make sense to you. But the translation would lose important context. You may aswell just talk to yourself then.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 52yrs • M •
To the chaining of the wings -

Brilliant!

To Zyphon -

Excellent!

Essentially this "thread" is Ego... It is my view... and therefore comes out in my own way...

And as you both have demonstrated... near every argument can be argued from either point of view...

As to the construction of critics - Outside authority for thinking is generally tossed out at around our age Chained Wings... that's why your critisism is so diplomatic... you also understand the need for communication that is successful...

Here's why I write as I do... There is an emmense / big-picture... believe it or not... alllllllll things are related...

To connect the dots - that's why it's like grabbing "air"...

I believe that reality is a Solid Object... and there is no distance between... that there is actually no "between"

Now if I were to just come out and say that... well if there were any padded cells anymore...

Needless to say I'd love to defend my "supposition"... and equally needless to say someone will probally offer me free tickets to Oprah's main man, Dr. Phil....

Zyphon - Keep thorning around... rose would just be another flower if we didn't have to suffer to get to it...

Plus, where else are you getting the stimuli? Your peer group at school is probally not taking time out of their "busy" summer schedule to converse with a bunch of antiquated 30 - something year olds...

Just remember to take yourself light enough, so you don't have any trouble reaching for the stars man!

Chained Wings - ha' ha' ha' - Don't look now but I think you may have some air in your bare hands now... success is yours...

Hey you wanna see something? I'm constructing a "thread" for the religous debators... it's probally gonna' get me booted off the site... but in a good way...

Try to have it on there by Saturday night...

You know, in time for Sunday School questions ...

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy