Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Top 5 Artists - Page 2

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Updated weather report for the "Top 5 Artists" thread:

Overcast, chance of rain 90%

"The truth will set you on fire"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Whenever I see threads that have been done......a long time ago... I try to find them and post them.

Kinda like re-living the past. LOL

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To be fair though, it's not like there has actually been much new material appeared on here in a long time. Just about everything under discussion in religion, philosophy or general was under discussion here before I took a year and a bit break from posting (some of them are even the same topic just no-one can be bothered to read the back log and find that someone else has already phrased their sentiment better at least 3 times). We have the downside of relying on a turnover of members rather than ideas to keep the discussion interesting. Or just ignore the top several forums and pretend to be a scientist or artist.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 31yrs • M •
jacisc0416 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
1. Django Reinhardt
2. Immortal Technique
3. Rachmaninoff
4. Postal Service
5. Merzbow

"Time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine."
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pupa ria is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i have to face it sooner or later:
1-Nick Drake
2-Bob Dylan
3-Sigur Ros
4-Jacques Brel
5-The Doors

"I'm the mirror that will make you invisible"
 30yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that SUPERBEAST is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
1. faith no more
2. black sabbath
3.rob zombie
4.Q lazzarus
5.king diamond

"i wanna hurt you just to hear you screamin' my name"
 36yrs • M
Sweet! Another Bob Dylan fan!

41yrs • F •
ikh ikh wiiii! my fav' song would be Positively 4th street. whats yours? (as we r talking of top 5's)

...what if someone has multiple personality disorder? how could they state a top 5?

36yrs • M
Positively 4th Street is a good song. If I had to pick a favorite... probably "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" - that one just speaks to my soul.

quote:
...what if someone has multiple personality disorder? how could they state a top 5?

I think each personality is entitled to its own top 5 for sure.

42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lol. Sweet. Another Doors fan.

Fave song would be, When The Music's Over.

(BTW, David Bowie's rendition of My Death by Jacques Brel is one of my favorite song of all time.)

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 41yrs • F •
good song. i personaly love the Hyacinth House. J.M, another modern day prophet i'll say, just like Dylan here. Quoting Guthrie in I'm Not There " (their songs) keep me in this world than any bible does".

42yrs • M •
Pupa Ria,
Since I liked allot of your music choices I checked out Nick Drake and Sigur Ros.

I have to say, I really like them. And thanks for showing them to me. Nick Drake is someone who has created a style thats actually being emulated today. At least where I live. I think hes the best and most original though. Ahead of his time. By 40 years.

Both are something I'll be listening to in the future.

Any others you would recommend since I trust your taste?

BTW, about Sigur Ros speaking in tongues. For a long time I have wondered about how allot of really great musicians "speak in tongues" and have often done it myself in times of emotional intensity. I can relate to it more than allot of songs in the English tongue. I'd be interested to hear your views on it.

Check out Lisa Gerrard on my Unchained Melodies thread if you like music that has no language- other than the language of "Emotion" and "Humanity."

41yrs • F •
i'm glad u liked them =)
Sigur ros have plenty of albums, i think you should better start with "Með suð i eyrum við spilum endalaust" : maybe it's not reckoned as their best album but it is a smooth preparation for the others ( i found the previous albums more complex in sound and progression) . I love all Nick Drakes albums but i find "Pink Moon" his magnum opus. Sorry if i'm being too intrusive by telling you which album you should start with ( i'm giving you the pointers i wished i had).
hmm abt Sigur Ros's language bff dunno what to say. The fact that i don't understand it makes them sound as if they r voices from beyond btw they do sound a little like the last artist video u posted on unchained melodies.

abt other artists here are some few ( maybe you know some of them): - there is Kings of Convenience ( very influenced by Nick Drake)- Iron and wine- Ray LaMontagne ( i love his song "empty" beautiful lyrics)- Cat Power ( a woman Bob Dylan heh).
I'm sure you heard of Nick Cave but make sure you listen to the album "the boatman's call".
I'm gonna stop now...you tell me if you want some more when you are done with those.
tata

42yrs • M •
Dont worry about recommending the order I should listen to them in. I appreciate the enthusiasm. Plus, I didnt have any trouble just jumping in the deep end and picking random tracks off youtube. The Sigur Ros songs I liked allot were the ones where the guitar is played like a violin.

What you could do if you want, is begin a thread of each of the two (or any others you really like) and you can post your favorite ones of each artist and put them in whatever order you like with any narrative you feel appropriate.

Yeah, Nick Cave is pretty way out. Ive always liked The Murder Ballads. I think the thing about that one is the "in your face" insanity about it. It pulls no punches and appeals to the darker side to peoples nature without them having to actually go out and murder somebody.

42yrs • M •
Oh yeah, I was positive when I first began listening to sigur ros Id heard them somewhere before. But couldn't place them and thought I was just imagining it. But then I came across this one: Svefn-G-Englar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L64BcCRDAE

And it was a song Id recorded on a video tape years and years ago because it was so goddamn cool. The video is absolutley awesome and has such a dreamlike "angels in clouds" feel to it, which fits the music so well.

Top 5 Artists - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy