Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Atheist Morals

User Thread
 32yrs • M •
City on a hill is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Atheist Morals
This is for all of the atheists out there.

First of all I want for everyone to know that I am a Christian and while my faith could be stronger, I can think on the same level as most preachers on the subject of salvation, redemption, etc. I have biblical knowledge which has been growing since I was in 3rd grade, and I pray to God on a regular basis.

This is where the question comes in. If you are an atheist, and can feel uncomfortable about different subjects, then how can you deny the existance of God? You feel bad about things because you have morals, because there is a constant battle between good and evil going on around us, whether it is mentally, physically, spiritually, or supernaturally. Therefore, there MUST be a God because (as well as an evil force) waging not only a battle around us, but within us, causing you to have morals.

So if you have any good reason for someone who denies the presence of any supernatural being, then post it so I can read it. Thanx.

"Get out of here Satan!"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why do people feel bad when they do something "wrong"? Social conditioning.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 32yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that xloobyloox is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not a Athiest I believe in God,

but...take my friend Izzy as an example. She doesn't believe in God because she just never has. She doesn't believe in anything at all spiritual or religious. She doesn't know why...she just doesn't.

Just because people feel bad about things doesn't mean it has anything to do with God.

Say if someone hit someone they would feel bad about it because they gave the other person a bad feeling of pain and they don't like that they made them hurt.

There doesn't have to be a God. Like some people worship the Sun, some people worship goddesses.

When you said
quote:
Therefore, there MUST be a God

You should of said "Therefore there must be something out there." You don't know, nor does anyone, that God does things, some people choose to believe he does and some people believe it's something else. Some people believe its just scientific and its out feelings and actions that make good and bad not God and the Devil.

Who knows? Answer = No one.

lol

It doesn't HAVE to be God, it COULD be something else.

*shrugs*

"Why kill the bumblebee when your the pain in the ass?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To be an athiest is not to “deny” God, but rather to whole heartedly believe that there is no God at all. This is a perspective that is very difficult for Christians to percieve.

People can develope a sense of right and wrong without the influence of spirituality and/or religion. Right and wrong has more to do with what is most beneficial to us, not who is on Lucifer's side or some such nonsense

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wizardslogic is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Having a natural "sense" of what might be considered "right" or "wrong" can easily be explained away without any need to include the words "good" and "evil" or the concept of "god." In social groups, right and wrong generally boils down to maintaining harmony, ensuring justice, and establishing order, all of which, through socialization, may create or establish within individuals what may be regarded as a "conscience." Your reasoning might be valid, but not indisputable. Your approach here is probably not going to cultivate any re-evaluation by atheists as to the possible existence of God.

"Each conscious mind is alone in the universe!"
 32yrs • M •
Christian dude is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Just checking up.

ChrisD says that social conditioning is the reason that people have morals. Therefore, what you think is right and wrong is influenced by what others think of your actions and how they react to what you say, think, or do. But then they feel that something you're doing is either right or wrong and so they have morals, proving my point.

"It could be worse... I could have been a mormon."
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How do you equate morals and morality with the fact that you have to be a Christian and there has to be a God???

I think every single society that has ever existed and ever will exist will argue with you that they have morals and that their morality is the right one.

If you read the Egyptian book of the dead, you will find a passage on 'the negative commandments" or something to that efffect, what you find is the original ten commandments (actually written before Moses was even around) which take the spotlight off of God and onto your own personal responsibility. For example the commandment given to Moses by God that states 'Thou Shalt not kill' i.e God commanding you not to kill, was originally a testament a soul presented at the seat of judgement in the afterlife 'I have not killed' taking on the personal moral responsibility that the individual knows it is wrong to kill and therefore has not done it in his lifetime. In the ten commandments the individual is dictated to by God, demanding that you will not kill because I say so. Actually the Egyptians had it right, you should not kill because you know in your heart that it is naturally, spiritually and morally wrong, not because you have been told not to do it.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 34yrs • M •
toomey is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The way I think of it is that if it doesn't hurt or cause loss to others than it's ok. Things like drugs would be ok, because nobody else gets harmed by it (assuming I'm not blowing smoke in their face).

I know that I could just as easily have been born as anyone else. So I respect others as people.

Atheist Morals
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy