Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Reasons why I love being on this Site.

User Thread
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Captain Cynic forum has a unique and vibrant energy.
I think it is has a much greater value than the mere question of being right or wrong in various debates or disputes.

Possibly one advantage of my own age and stage in life is that I have been able to let go of my attachment to being right or wrong in the realm of ideas. Indeed my evaluations of these seem constantly to be evolving.

And while there are many other reasons to value this site, I very much feel a connection with these three...

Chained Wings:
quote:
The reason I like this site is that I feel I am growing as a person by communicating with the people here. And Im always open to suggestion

Sorceress:
quote:
If I've learnt anything in my life it is the importance of listening to what people are saying to you (really listening) and then listening to your self responding - you know what? even thinking before opening your mouth can help sometimes!

Sorceress:
quote:
I mean what's the point of coming to a forum to learn if you only want to tell eveyone how much you know and never listen?

And so from your own particular perspective I have been wondering...
Why are you here?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Originally I was here because I got very lost researching anarchic political theory, and ended up in a thread on the site (I was about to say how lond ago, then realised it says above my avatar )

I hung around because it was a great place to discuss things that don't get discussed very often in every day life, such as politics and theology, which are subjects that I enjoy talking about every now and then (though Decius will surely tell me that my contributions are pure "verbal masturbation". I've disagreed with things that many people have said, but many of the things I have read here have changed the way I think of the world.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I joined for a lot of the same reasons most people join. I was bored and curious. I am here now because I feel a great sense of love from this place. Though I do witness a lot of anger and frustration on here, I know that each person is growing from it just as I have. I have met and continue to meet fascinating individuals with a large array of perspectives. When I see them all sharing pieces of themselves it makes me feel kind of high.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i joined quite by accident. I was looking for a chat room because I was bored and lonely and looking for some intellectual conversation that didn't include 'mummy can I have...' Anyway I'm interested in all sorts of things, I'm not the cleverest of people but like asking questions and contemplating my existence etc. I started studying for a psychology degree with the Open University, got about half way through and couldn't afford to carry on, plus I had a baby and she wouldn't let me study.

It's been fantastic to know that at the other end of my fingers tapping away on these keys is numerous other people doing the same, just linking our thoughts about varyous themes and all going about in our very different lives.

Thanks guys you're all great.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That reminds me, “website administrator” looks really good on resumés too, these days.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I liked being here because of the great fun there used to be here. The topics had a huge range. There was many mnay useres on at any given time and we could be in the chat room we once had and talk about other members behind there back. There once was a user here named dingleberry...boy that fucker made me laugh.

Since then the dingle on has grown out of the shell, alot of the users I had known once are now all gone.

For some reason now I cant quite explain, I find all of the topics not very interesting, I still read almost everyone to make sure it is on topic. Maybee its me who has lost it, maybee its the other users, maybee its the forum......I just dont know.

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I came to this site seeking a debate forum, I stayed because of the the atmosphere and key minds that have inspired, intrigued, and made me feel like both a mental midget and a mental giant.

I love the positivity and humor and even the hard headed belligerence, and the therefore inevitable heated passionate debate.

I prefer when an "important" subject matter brings out both sides of an issue, represented by all variations of ignorant passion, moderate stances of acknowledged limited knowledge and existing influential bias, and indeed researched and studied standpoints of all degrees of intensity.

And while its great to teach and learn, sometimes its just fun to rip into people when they say something silly or try to start a fight.

The term family comes to mind when I think of the reasons why I love this site.

I think a great characteristic of this site that might be a bit rare, speculation on my part, is that it encourages individuals to truly investigate and express themselves. Its very oriented towards exposing, and more importantly, understanding, controlling and or advancing this self as you see fit.

This is especially true about faults and weaknesses. Which is where I think much humor, bonding, and real benefit come from.

I've seen the best in people brought about in the exposure of the worst of people, both from one's self and from others, when honesty and humilty have overcome ego and deciet/denial in an attempt to truly learn and teach.

Its sometimes an ugly process, but in the end, it turns out to be a beautiful thing, and its why I love this site.

quote:
Maybee its me who has lost it

Well when was the last time you posted a picture like a scandelous looking dust imprint on the hood of a car?

And Lady Taz's enthusiasm and pleasantness has only recently even been closely revived by the likes of Chiron and Sorceress.

Maybe its time to propose another community get together that everyone can get excited about and then later deflate with the realization of the sheer impracticallity of.

I think Decius just needs to hurry up and get rich so we can do something fun, to make up for how dissappointed we all would be if we actually met. Heh.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 51yrs • F •
I'm so choked right now, I'm going to cry over my dinner and watch a film with the kids. I think you're all great!

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 34yrs • M •
Tao is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
quote:
I love being on this site because I get to say what I want and prevent other people from contradicting me. I can let people who are weaker than me contradict me, then I destroy them using my superior wit. But the people who actually intimidate me can be squelched (by limiting and deleting their posts). This way I can appear to be the strongest character on the forum.

Generally, if I don't have a controlling position it is impossible to retain control over the argument because other people will use tricks and insults to try to bring me down. So rather than deal with any of that, I can just piss these people off by disabling their ability to post. I've done this numerous times and many people have left the forum.

This way, I can slowly create a community of people who look up to me and respect me without being challenged.

not sure what to make of this one, can you explain?

45yrs • M •
I think you need to hang around a little longer than you have to understand what he means.

34yrs • M •
Tao is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Sure thing, will do.
It's just that this dude makes it sound like his administration is run along the same lines as the Bush administration, lol!

Is he maybe a Bush supporter i wonder?

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
No, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

"He who does not question is lost."
 45yrs • M •
If you do I will drive over there and beat the shit out of you!

46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Decius is just preparing, didn't you hear?

We're in the North American "Community" now, Bush plans on extending his time as the Decider by running for for Grand Poobah of Canada next, that is what call your president guy right (as he might say while snickering in a way far too reminicent of a chimpanze)? Or was it Optimus Prime or something like that, leave me alone, I'm delirious, serious...ly.

Pooubah, sorry.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 51yrs • F •
sorry, whose nickname is Poohbear?

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy