Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Socks or Socrates?

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
andrewisawanker is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Socks or Socrates?
I feel rather ambivalent about philosophy at this time, not knowing where it fits in with my life. I would like to ask the value of any sort of philosophy, as I feel that pairing socks is much more productive. Thanks

"" Sun rises swiftly, morning noon not night""
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Congratulations you have just made the journey into philosophy.

You thinking folding your socks neatly is more useful, well that's your own philosophy. Other than dealing with minor garments presumably whatever ever other parts there are of the philosophy that you don't have and believe is pointless, will probably dictate your personal morals. Philosophy is the question "why?", "why shouldn't I murder you?", "why can I only have one girlfriend?" (apart from the obvious answer of because one is more than enough). There is a very practical side of philosophy which controls how you live your life, and where you place the lines of what you think of as right and wrong, we discuss it in order to find the morals that we most firmly believe in rather than just staying with the ones we are handed by parents or other sources. We may decide that these sources are right, or we may decide that we feel differently, philosophy is the way we decide. The deeper questions like "why are we here?" may be of no real practical help to you, but for some of us they are a useful distraction from doing what society tells us we need to do while we are here, and it would be nice to know whether we are here for a purpose or if we just evolved from a mixture of the right chemicals splashed together in a puddle a few millennia ago.

apologies if this sounds harsh, it wasn't particularly meant to, I just tend to be sarcastic and then realise that it doesn't come across in type.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
Socks or Socrates?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy