Good Judgment comes from Experience, and Experience comes from Bad Judgment! - 68 firebird
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Types of Perception…

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Types of Perception…
Well the story goes…

I was looking for and trying to think of different kinds of perception…
I came upon the ideas of sensory perception, and what I called intuitive perception…

Sensory perception being that directly from the senses, and intuitive perception being something not performed by the senses directly, something intuitive like a mental process…

I was all happy about this, I just wanted to find out if there are any other types of perception. So I Googled ‘perception'…

Much to my delight I came across a familiar old friend, now seen from a different angle…
My friend was extra-sensory perception (ESP)…
ESP being that which, obviously, is perception which comes to us without the direct influence of the senses…

I now look at ESP as being something more normal and used probably by everyone, rather than something that carries the name of heightened consciousness, or something very mystical…
It's just intuitive perception with a different name…

My questions are… does this revelation produce a similar effect in you? And, can you think of any other types of perception I may have missed? Do you have any thoughts on the matter of perception?…

"There is no negative one..."
 37yrs • M •
Erik13 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Perception, i believe that there will be more type of perception in the future than there is now.

i have always looked at perception as something in the brain that is related to sensation, like you say. what would sensation be in a virtual reality where the brain is directly connected, nothing but perception.

i could be looking at it in the completly wrong way. what do u think?

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree entirely that sensation and perception go hand in hand. Your senses take in lots of information but may not percieve it all, perception is also linked to attention, what you happen to be attending to at the time. vision and blind spots also come to mind - and seeing things out of the corner of your eye.
Everybody perceives things in a different way, what we might think of as a heightened or intuitive perception is just another way of looking at the world and the informaiion available to you.
Some people are very good at reading situations and people, in fact some psychics and so called mediums do probably a lot more of this than actually physically speaking to spirits. That's not saying that people are'nt in contact with spirits and some other dimension that may or may not be 'the other side' of life, they very well may be, but perception is all to do with brain activity and who knows what our neural networks are hard wired into or what signals they may be recieving.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think Perception is mostly related to our individual belief systems. So that with each particular mind-set we will perceive things accordingly.

It has been suggested that there are many more colours which we cannot yet see because we don't yet know they exist!?!

Children with imaginary friends see and hear them. But later they learn to disbelieve and thus they no longer see or hear that which they no longer believe.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Scarecrow is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Your idea of ESP or intuitive perception is flawed. Perception is a process that requires both the internal (host) and the stimuli. That is not to say that if you are referring to more of an epiphany (realization of a situation after the original experience) you are incorrect, but if you mean gaining information without the sense I do have to disagree. Processing from the senses is the only way to gain information even if the amount of time it takes is longer than usual. Also, I am not denouncing the concept of a "6th sense" being that it incorporates the whole sense aspect. Sharks have a sense which involves electromagnetism. We could have something similar.

"Everything we say is a lie no matter how useful it can be."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Scarecrow is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Responding more to Chiron, I do believe perception is related to our mind set. Again it requires the the internal and the stimuli. Change either one and there is a different perception. Also, the ever interacting internals and stimuli's effect each other creating an indefinite no-source or all-source in which there is no start or end to the events and effects each has on one another.

"Everything we say is a lie no matter how useful it can be."
Types of Perception…
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy