Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

i need opinion please on a story

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
illwill is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i got a freind who is trying to write a story we are trying to think what fire can stand for ex:earth- strength if u guys don't mind please give us some of your ideas

"death is only a gift given from god"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fire can mean things such as life, survival, hope, chaos, and perhaps fear.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fire is used as many things, It can be destructive burning down a house or being used as a weapon, or it can be used as a beacon to send messages across great distances, fire was also the earliest source of man made light. There is also the image of the welcoming open fire on a winters day, or a camp-fire etc.

Then metaphorically people describe some bad experiences as having been "burned", and we talk about burning desire, fiery passion etc. A person can also be described as having fire in their eyes.

It's a case of grab any one and run with it, which one depends on the type of story you wish to write.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The elements have been generally been linked to the following:

Earth - material qualities, grounded reality.
Water - emotions, intuitive feeling.
Air - intellect, abstract thought.
Fire - all consuming passion (in anger or love), drive, motivation.

Good luck...

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CodeWarrior is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Remember fire is symbolic, archetypal, of transition. Usually destructive transition, complex (usually organic) structures are broken down in dead, homogenous, ash. On the other hand it can also represent a freeing process. Chemicals, carbon, rare elements, that have been locked in to matter are released in to the atmosphere. Also fire can be a source of energy. the heat of fire can sustain life, cook food. Something is destroyed so that something can be created. Food, pottery, metal work. All have traditionally used fire.

But to modern society what fire really symbolises is control. It is a natural phenomenon we have made our own yet despite all our accumulated knowledge still fascinates us and occasionally bites us on the bum.

P.s chiron: as a mathematician I would contest there is no distinction between reality and abstraction.

remember Peter's law of metaphysics: Any sufficiently sophisticated abstraction of reality is indistinguishable from reality it's self.

also mathematics is one of the most intellectual, logical, pursuits yet is mostly driven by inspiration and imagination and dare i say it intuition.

68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
P.s chiron: as a mathematician I would contest there is no distinction between reality and abstraction.

True, but in the experience of everyday life a distinction is made between abstract thought (to which music and mathematics are linked) and concrete reality (the knock-on-wood stuff). Even if this is just the way we humans agree to organize reality...

quote:
also mathematics is one of the most intellectual, logical, pursuits yet is mostly driven by inspiration and imagination and dare i say it intuition.

I agree with you but as you say, this all goes a long way beyond logic. Logic: the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study. Therefore logic is partial and only one of the tools we use to make sense of our experience.

I'm not so sure that logic is as much driven by inspiration and intuition, as it is merely humankind's way of organizing reality. Logic is therefore only a useful tool that is applied to inspiration and mystery rather than the other way around.

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If in your story earth stands for strength then I would say that fire could stand for the spirit.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy