Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams - Bob Yow Z!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

consciousness - define it! Explain it! Any comments? - Page 2

User Thread
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Is this existentialism?

Mmmm.. I needed to look up a definition of existentialism to be sure where I stand in relation to this question.

Existentialism: A body of philosophical doctrine that dramatically emphasizes the contrast between human existence and the kind of existence possessed by natural objects. Men endowed with will and consciousness, find themselves in an alien world of objects which has neither.

..and now I am absolutely certain that this is not what I mean or believe. Consciousness is a unifying experience that connects me to everything rather than alienating me. Thus accounting for my feelings of happiness, since where I once felt alienated in the world, I now recognize that this is merely a lapse in Consciousness.

quote:
The ‘self' is a part of you which sees, but cannot see itself

But here I disagree entirely. I believe it is only our unconscious selves which “see but cannot see itself.”
The belief that we (as individual souls) are each buried inside our bodies, looking out at the world is quite separate from the Consciousness I refer to.

quote:
But what is that thing? Where does it come from? How does it exist? Where does it exist? Why does it exist? And Is it separate from the physical workings of our existence? These are the questions I am exploring

I believe this is our Soul, which when in a state of Consciousness, becomes aware of itself, and then smiles on such awareness.
Instead of actually being individual souls looking out at the world, I think true Consciousness suggests that we may well be somewhere on the outside of the world looking in on ourselves.

As though this world were a magnificent 3D hologram representing the state of our own Soul.
So that when I look out through my eyes and consciousness, I see not an other place or person, but see all the many aspects of myself, some that I like and would want to keep, and others that I would want to change.

So that when I see (for example) a scenic vista with a horse galloping across its terrain, I feel exhilarated and want to remain there because this is a part of ourself which is happy, healthy and well.
And when I see crime, hate, and anger, I see all that is not well and needing healing.

In my unconscious state I feel quite separate and even resentful of criminals and crime, but with Consciousness I see these as damaged aspects of our collective Soul, which require healing. Like having cancerous cells in one's body, crime criminals, and hate are the cancer of our (collective) Soul.

And yes, I do think that this Soul exists apart from the physical existence of things, but I also think this world (and all of the life in it) exists merely as a physical manifestation of the Soul, which seeks to know itself…

Just as indeed, do you and I.

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Thanks guys you have made this topic really interesting and all your viewpoints are being mulled over, I shall think on this for awhile! See you later.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
consciousness - define it! Explain it! Any comments? - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy