This is the only life you've got - Bob Yow Z!
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is god real?

User Thread
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zyphon is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Is god real?
How can one prove god is real in a way so that everyone can see it? Not just something that is called a miracle? Yes random things happen but how can we say that was the result of a higher being helping someone? And if he is all powerful and he can save peoples lives, what about the believers who die, suffer and are tortered in war? Or for that matter anywere else?

"sad is the heart that loves. its usually broken"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
idk if I'm right to say this in such a vauge manner... but simply stated, if you believe in god, then I guess he is real... to you. If you do not believe in god, then he is also not real... to you.

since god can neither be proven nor disproven this toptic of discussion remains and always will be meaningless.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To even attempt the discussion, God must first be defined.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 32yrs • F
A CTL of 1 means that xloobyloox is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
bit harsh on zyphon there lol. hahahaha

zyphon what you said with the..
quote:
what about the believers who die, suffer and are tortered in war

i believe that everyone has a time and place when theyre ment to die...and a way that they die.. i know it sounds bad that they have to die that way, but i think its because thats the way theyre ment to go. Idk... *shrugs*

"Why kill the bumblebee when your the pain in the ass?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
To even attempt the discussion, God must first be defined

We can observe the physical universe. We can know what, where, when, how, who but never fully why. The viod between god is finite and we observe it. In this sense god must either be zero or one. That is, to connect two finite objects of the smallest of your observable capabaility we are required to reduce effectively to an infinitely small quantity until you achieve zero. And then exists the question of how do zeros manifest a reality in the first place? the second point, that god is one is more simple to understand. For anything outside of one, or the infintely large, cannot of itself affect that one because it does not exist. The deeper you ask why, the more you come to understand this concept of God, how little we know, and the feeling for looking ahead rather than behind.

""No words""
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
We can observe the physical universe. We can know what, where, when, how, who but never fully why. The viod between god is finite and we observe it. In this sense god must either be zero or one. That is, to connect two finite objects of the smallest of your observable capabaility we are required to reduce effectively to an infinitely small quantity until you achieve zero. And then exists the question of how do zeros manifest a reality in the first place? the second point, that god is one is more simple to understand. For anything outside of one, or the infintely large, cannot of itself affect that one because it does not exist. The deeper you ask why, the more you come to understand this concept of God, how little we know, and the feeling for looking ahead rather than behind.

lol ^^^^

lamen's terms: Majority of people on this earth see God as an almighty spiritual being that has created everything in this universe and all the others.

I think that's the "God" Zyphon wishes to prove or disprove...

32yrs • M •
God: All powerfull all controlling.
I dont want to prove or disprove i just want to see others views on this.

Why would a 'god' that loves to no boundries want us to fear it?
Why if it loves humans its creations would it let them commit sins against each other? Parents discipline their children so why does the almighty father not gradually discipline humans rather than wipe us out then have us start over?

34yrs • M •
My belief is that people have no idea how to explain life so to cope with their inability to find an answer, either by coincidental things or what have you, they made up this perfect character to go to that created all of us and is all knowing and wanted us to be dumb and not know the truth about our "real" existence.

It's perfect, because this entity is someone we can both "Blame" and "Love" for everything that we can preceive. I also strongly believe that our outlook on this whole situation is completely in our heads and is purely psychological.

forgive me for not going into more detail right now, but you all are smart enough to piece things together for youselves.. I'm just giving a basic Idea for right now.

32yrs • M •
it seems dumb that we as humans need to create something else to blame. We already have done enough blaming why do we have to blame something else? Humans have many flaws.
We are a very messed up race.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is no definite way to explain the existence of God to anyone. Those who believe in God believe that they can see Him all around them. When asked "how do you know God is real?" any devoutly religious person will tell you they see Him in you, they see Him in the trees, grass, birds, they see Him in the wind, and in the children that people are blessed with every day.

Life is all around us and in a religious perspective God is life. God is not something you can prove to someone who doesn't wish to believe in Him. There are many mysteries to faith and that is why it is so easy for religious people to lose their faith or lose their way in their faith. It is something that you have to be willing to see, something you have to be willing to believe in. Therefore, unless you wish to believe, it would be almost impossible for anyone to show you that God exists.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
to change the topic slightly and pose a new question, does god Need to be real?

those who don't believe with not believe in him whether or not he is real, and will either burn in hell or just cease to exist when they die. and those who do believe in him will have the necessary "crutch" throughout there troubles, attributing any help they get in times of trouble to him. often the belief that something will happen, is enough to keep you supported and allow you to cope with the fact that it never actually does. hope is double edged sword though, it can support you through something, but if it is ever removed then it means that your fall occurs with more build up.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
God is real to me and that is all that matters to me. It is a fruitless argument that ends in frustration for those who do believe and have utter faith but can't give proof to those who do not and for those who don't believe and will settle for nothing less than seeing God for themselves.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible." (Hebrews 11:1-3)

"complete trust or confidence. strong belief in a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."
(Oxford Concise English dictionary)

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
God is real to me and that is all that matters to me.

And may I begin by stating that I will respect this, and so please don't take my questions as an attempt to knock you down, OK?

But to reiterate a very significant directive: God must first be defined. This is not an unreasonable request. And I go so far as to suggest that all attempts to resist doing so, show a lack of faith in the very thing you claim to believe in.

After all, the whole world holds various concepts about God, and has always done so. So a definition is imperative in order for any to clarity to exist.

Fireangel has made a contribution, by defining her Pantheistic God. This is a God I could easily relate to, because of my love of nature.

But what then should I make of the inherent savagery, which underlies nature? What should I make of the fact that wild animals must rip each other apart in order to survive?

And how about Dinosaurs? Did this same Pantheistic God create such beasts of unspeakable savagery fireangel? Creatures low on ‘godly qualities' and high on the list of a vicious malevolent order (seen from our human-created-in-the-image-of-god perspective)?

And Sorceress: please think of me as a kindly Alien visiting this planet, who sincerely wishes to understand how an all knowing and all powerful God has come to let his subjects down so very badly.

I am referring to the cruelty, vice, deceit, and malice that has for century's had such hegemony on this frail and lovely planet. As your visiting Alien I must point out that from my planet, we view such a poor track record as being evidence of a ‘false god'. And are sincerely concerned that earthlings should not be deceived.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Perfect = Boring.

""No words""
 34yrs • M •
If I'm not mistaken, which I hope I'm not, Animals on this earth do not kill for enjoyment or pleasure but because they have to for food/survival and should not be considered savage nature. We humans on the other hand are the only "animals" on this planet that do such a thing... killing people over a belief that has no definite answer is of savage behavior though. no relevence, just wanted to throw that out there.

Is god real?
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy