Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

impulses and the ego

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
impulses and the ego
Should we deny ourselves our own natural human impulses in order to better who we are or does doing this in fact change the purpose of our existence in actual fact does doing this better us at all, when's the last time you had true clarity just rose above all your material and emotional bull shit what did you see when's the last time you really looked in a mirror

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
 41yrs • M •
You are absolutely correct we are products of our environment but the question is how do you discern between what you have been manipulated into believing and what you are at the core, I suppose what im actually asking is how do we strip away the ego and find our true selves if such a thing were plausible

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think that often being impulsive is relying on your feelings, your gut instincts, what's in the heart not the head. If we weren't impulsive once in a while and thought carefully and logically about what to do next we'd all be living in a perfectly run computer program!
I suppose our true-selves are hidden under a life-time of constraints. I say step out of the box once in a while and be impulsive, it may be a dangerous thing to do but if we didn't take risks once in a while how could we grow and evolve?

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 41yrs • M •
Ah decius this is all true and it is what im striving for but after so long its like my life story has writers block im at a loss im sure you know how confusing this gets question your own sense of right and wrong and moral code its never ending

41yrs • M •
Sorceress,what do you see as basic human impulses,the need to feed be safe reproduce,impulses are a means to an end they are animal instincts. so do they realy help the soul or only the body

51yrs • F •
Well I think that anything that is good for the soul has to be good for the body and visa versa, surely its all part of the same package

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 41yrs • M •
Logic and emotion are intertwined because we are born with bare survival instincts speaking from a completely physiological point we have to persevere ourselves; through time this became more and more complex due to our ability to actually think hence so has our perceptions of emotion.
Logic is the basis of all things very true but there has to be an exception I wonder what it is maybe we should start a name one thing that doesn't stem from a logic thread. In retro spec our physiological purpose is to reproduce and we have made it again complex by brining in materialism as a point to show strength, its no longer im stronger its look I have shiny wads of cash

41yrs • M •
Wait I have one what about the depression and self loathing of loosing a loved one hardly logical, to love someone is a by product of wanting to reproduce but losing them means you should just look for another compatible mate (in the realm of logic) but we don't we get all fucked up about it

51yrs • F •
Decius you said..."I have a great grasp of logic, and more than anything I feel the more logical I get the more free I become emotionally. My emotions are no longer in doubt or questioned when i live in a complete state of logic. My emotions are consistent with logic, which makes them even stronger. "

You sound like a Vulcan man. Do you really believe that? Do you really think that this so called complete grasp of logical thinking on your part gives you control over your emotions?

You just keep telling yourself that;
Honey I think you are deluding yourself and I wonder if maybe you have emotional stuff that you are keeping under control because maybe you need to be in control, perhaps you are scared to be impulsive and let yourself be just a plain flawed human being like the rest of us.

51yrs • F •
Decius says: "See, therein lies your defeatist (somewhat pathetic in my opinion) perspective. By definition, you have associated being "impulsive" to being "flawed", and somehow are trying to suggest that it is incorrect to want to not be flawed."

Are you saying that I am pathetic becuase I am flawed and therefore that you by your superior grasp of logic are perfect?

impulses and the ego
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy