Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why Worry About God?

User Thread
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tazzlyn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why Worry About God?
I am Ignostic. Ignosism...similar to the word 'agnostic' just with a different prefix; Ig. As in ignorant. Agnosism is the fact that you believe there is something 'higher' out there, but don't put a specific face on it. Ignosism, such as being ignorant, is just that. To be ignorant to any 'higher' power. But this is not an ignorant belief. I believe it to be, no means to offend, correct. But then again, you think yours is correct too. So we can just agree on that. As an Ignostic person, I believe that you live, then you die. I'm not saying their is a god. Or many gods. But I'm not saying there's not one, or many. Can you give me a reason this is wrong? Why I shouldn't do this? I'd just like to know if there is a reason. But read on...
The reason I'm posting this blog is to tell you my beliefs and what I think on others. Christianity. The largest organized religion in the world. The Bible. The Good Book. The Holy Book. What is the Bible? Gossip. It is. Don't say it's not. Because that's what it is. "He said this, He did that..." See? Now, what does pretty much EVERYONE hate in high school? Drama. Which is derived from what? Gossip? Yes. Do you see? Gossip leads to drama. And in this case, worldwide drama. The Ku Klux Klan. A Christian organization. So many religious wars. Death to all Witches. Death to all the Impure. There is only one pure race. Now, I will face the positive aspects of this religion.
It gives people hope, yes it does. Such grand hope...but is it so grand after all? Hope, let's look into the word.

"1. The feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best." - Dictionary.com

Hope is a good thing with bad consequences. Lewis Black made this clear to me. When the last time something was everything you expected it to be? Probably never. You plan a vacation, you see all the wonderful things happening, you have hope that it will be great. But it just turns out good. Disappointing, nonetheless. You get my point?
"But Paul, if all of this is true, why is Christianity so big?" Here's why. As people...we like to have knowledge on everything. That's why we're going into space, that's why we have microscopes. One reason Christianity is such a large organization IS because of all of the religious wars and the impure races and stuff. And if it wasn't because of that, it's because people are afraid of the unknown. And religion gives them an answer to what is unknown, thus satisfying people. True or not, the people have "THE" answer. That is why people are so faithful into the Christian religion. Or any religion.
Why should you go by gossip? "He said, you can't do this or you'll go here. He said if you DO this, you'll go here." Why are you going to let gossip tell you what to do? Who has the right to tell me to not have sex before marriage? Who has the right to tell me to not believe in anyone before him? Who has the right to tell me I CAN'T be gay, or I'll go to Hell? Who has the right to tell me I can't say a certain word?
But it slipped! Sorry. I'm sorry. There, all is forgiven. All is forgiven? It's a win-win situation here! You can tell yourself all day that you're the greatest Christian ever and you're going to Heaven. You believe it with all your heart, you have FAITH that you will go to Heaven. But you end up in Hell. Your great hope turned into an eternity of loss.
All I'm saying is hope can be a bad thing. And that the Bible is just gossip.
Hope for the best and expect the worst. Good thing to live by, people. And being Ignostic means you live by what you FEEL. Not by gossip. Wouldn't that be so much better? But there is one rule that takes place in all religions. "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You." The BEST rule ever. I live by it.
The Bible has some good stories in it. It teaches good things, how to be a better person and treat people better. That's a great thing! Those are great stories! But don't take them out of hand people. Please don't.
When I die, I will be dead. In our lives, we see it everyday. The dead people are dead. Period. And when I die, I will go where dead people go. Period. Whether that be in "Heaven", "Hell", rotting in the ground, reincarnated as a dog, a cat or if I roam the earth forever as a ghost or spirit or whatever. I have no right to say what happens when we die and neither do you. Don't tell me where I'm going when I die. You don't know. So shut your mouth, okay?
See now, I enjoy thinking about the idea of God as a hypothetical. It's kinda like a what-if question, you know? Their fun and puzzling to think about. God. "Can God make a stone so large, he himself can't lift it?" "If Animals are higher than plants because they can move and show emotion and we are higher than animals because we can speak and we have higher thinking, then what makes God higher than us?" These are fun to think about.
I am Ignostic and I think it's right. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

You know...seriously, if you're Christian, tell me what you think on my thoughts. Tell me why you believe what you do. I really want to know.

Much Love,

Paul

"Inspire."
[  Edited by Tazzlyn at   ]
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zach is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Paul,

I am in complete agreement with everything you said. People ask me what i believe in and I tell them that my belief is, N/A. I acknowldge that there is a possibility of God but also the visa versa. I simply live by my morals and base my life on compassion and love for every other human being.

To say God exist for sure is foolish.
To say God doesn't exist for sure is foolish.
All anyone knows is that there is a possibility.
We all are truly ignorant, which makes your opinion expressed to valid.

Much <3 -- Zach

45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I came up with a life quote from somethin like this topic.

And that is........."dont let certainty ruin the possibility."

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sounds like you're just trying to avoid the conflict over God's existence. Whether that is useful or pointless can be argued. Your other principles seem alright.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Sounds like you're just trying to avoid the conflict over God's existence

What conflict, some make unsubstantial claims, for or against, and some honestly acknowledge ignorance of any such definable enitity.

The conflict comes only from the misunderstanding that there is an intelligent debate taking place.

There is a difference between accepting that you probably didn't create yourself and the universe, and trying to justify a definition of the forces that did, especially any derived from religious "authority".

One is common sense, natural and inherent, god given some might say, the other is, well, simply put, man made. Ironic.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
[  Edited by Ironwood at   ]
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Tazzlyn is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"There is a difference between accepting that you probably didn't create yourself and the universe, and trying to justify a definition of the forces that did, especially any derived from religious "authority".

One is common sense, natural and inherent, god given some might say, there other is, well, simply put, man made. Ironic."

Great. That's perfect. Thank you.

"Sounds like you're just trying to avoid the conflict over God's existence. Whether that is useful or pointless can be argued. Your other principles seem alright.

Avoid the conflict? No. As I said, I'm not saying there's not a God. But I'm not saying there is. And I also said that I don't mind considering God. But I consider it in the 'what if', hypothetical form. I never approach it with certainty. Like most religions do. Trying to find an answer to a question is perfectly fine. Saying you know the answer to a question when there isn't one at the time...not so good.

"Inspire."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
you seem to be saying that you do not know whether or not 'god' exists. so you are ignostic. you do not know. so for all you know the christians may have it right. or anyone else for that matter, yourself included. so why take issue with other peoples beliefs when, for all you know, they have just as much a chance of being right as your own?

"dont got one"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That would be because religious extremists, christian included, attempt to force through law their chosen beliefs upon others often infringing on the rights of individuals.

It would also be an issue because of a very direct issue in respect to its affects on some people's behavior.

But one thing that I personally take issue with in regard to some religious beliefs is their fetish with the end of the world and their actual desire to bring it about.

That makes them dangerous.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yah, it's funny. Jesus preached all of these great life lessons and morals which take up probably what? 95% of the Bible? I bet he never thought his most "loyal" followers would ignore mostly everything except 'The world is coming to an end' stuff. Are these people really that unhappy with their lives that they can't wait to leave the planet? My solution: They should all stop waiting and follow through with their desire to go into the great beyond by having a massive extremist sermon that, coincidentally, no one will listen to. At the end of the sermon someone will ask "Where's the Kool-Aide?" and very calmly one of God's children will hand out the Kool-Aide he spiked earlier with rat poison. These children of God will all make the cover of the New York times but not for their intended reason. No, the cover will read something like "Religious Nut Jobs Turn Christianity into a Suicidal Cult."

"The truth will set you on fire"
 33yrs • M •
UllaJensen is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
"
"Sounds like you're just trying to avoid the conflict over God's existence. Whether that is useful or pointless can be argued. Your other principles seem alright."

How can it ever be a conflict if your ignorant of the existence of god? If you can't know if it (god) is there or it is not there.. can it really be a conflict to be ignorant of its existence ?

28yrs • F •
Khusnood is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What do you mean by worry?

38yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that EOTW is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
100% Absolutely sure about this: there is no God.

There is a system and a process, however. Don't call it God. Call it Holy Shit!

"Nothing Happens On The Internet."
Why Worry About God?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy