Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero (Seize the day with little trust in the future) - Horace
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Mental Remote Control or Mental Compensation

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Where one part of the mind acts on behalf of another to do it's work for it...
This is commonly associated with lobotomies where a part of the brain is removed yet the action carried out by that section is performed by another part of the brain.
What I am suggesting is that one part acting where another part normally does happens whether you remove that part of the brain or not.
As that part of the brain (while unremoved) can be acted on by another compensating part, it acts like a remote control for that area. This is as it acts from another area to influence the regular area associated with that other area.
You don't necessarily need a part from your brain to be removed for another part of the brain to act partly on it's behalf.

"There is no negative one..."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My understanding is that the brain works as a whole. When an area is removed, another area must compensate for the missing piece... like picking up the slack. Sure certain sections perform specific functions, some of those functions may be entirely lost depending on which section it is, but through therapy it is possible to regain some of those functions if a section of the brain is lost that had once controlled them. They may never gain full functionality again, but I think that is partially due to the inadaquacey of our current therapy techniques and overall knowledge of the brain. The brain is capable of modifying the way it operates, which is much different than any other organ we have.

So, what you are proposing is some type of self motivated modification, yes? which may be entirely possible if we discover ways to manipulate the brain through vision and/or specific thought patterns. Or even some type of wave therapy ie: magnetic.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 38yrs • M •
nomeaning is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I've had sleeping problems lately, and so I was reading a bit about it. Apparently when you go a long time without sleep some parts of the brain that would usually be quite active become inactive and other parts increase activity, presumably to compensate, so I agree one part acting on another's behalf is quite possible removed or not, just thought this was an interesting additional fact

"If you can’t / won’t change it, accept it."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Some type of self motivated modification?
Short answer, yes...
I think that we have a great ability to try and expand our minds, and one way is understanding what is going, so that we can use our minds better...
In this case it might be not giving up on a bad signs in part of one's mind, because another part of the mind can be there to help out. Something like that, anyway...

"There is no negative one..."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy