A Wise Man can see more from the bottom of a well than a Fool can see from a mountain - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Sadness or loneliness?

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sadness or loneliness?
Sadness or loneliness? Which is worse and why? In life, you'll have both, but if you had the option of one or the other, which would you chose? Give reasons.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Disenchanted is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would easily choose sadness.

Based on my experiences with these two states, I find I would rather be sad but around people who care about me, than feel that I will always be alone. Not to mention that friends can help you out of your mood, and loneliness seems to bring sadness anyways.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think disenchanted has hit the nail on the head there, sadness is the better state because of the support that people around you can give you. this is of course accepting that the people around you are people you like and want to be around, as you can feel lonely in a group of people if they are not people you feel comfortable around.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zach is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sadness.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Loneliness insinuates a need to be with someone and so it causes sadness... they are the same thing.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

Out of the two I would choose to feel loneliness.

I know most of us dont feel happy when we are lonely. And I think loneliness is just another branch of sadness, a more specific sadness, which makes the question hard to answer.

But,
I feel that someone can be lonely while still feeling content or happy. There are people who cut themselves off from the world and become hermits in a search for spiritual fulfilment. Or people that just dont do well with other people, who certainly may feel lonely, but may actually be ok with that. But they probably would not be ok with feeling sad.

Sadness is sadness, whatever way you look at it. (It is not a good feeling, but a feeling none the less. And like all other feelings has its purpose.)

So, going by the question,
Id rather feel lonely, and possibly not be unhappy from that loneliness. As opposed to sad, which, whatever way I look at it, I will always be sad.

Ever felt surrounded in a room full of people and still felt unhappy? Ever had many good friends around you (and not felt lonely) but were still unhappy?

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 35yrs • F •
curious123 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
loneliness could be a component of sadness...i think sadness is much worse because theres more than just being alone that is causing so much pain.

""every advance in knowledge faces us with the mystery of our own being""
Sadness or loneliness?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy