Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Fear

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fear
Seems to be the new thing to say fear is an evil; or even evil itself. Now, I can see that this makes some sense in a perfect world. We're not in a perfect world. We're in this one. And when I open my eyes; I see fear.

What it boils down to to me is the trade of between excitement and longevity. Fear creates a kind of stress, which increases adrenaline, which keeps you addictive and keeps you high; but dangerous. If excitement and short but fun is your thing; your gonna need a bit of fear! If longevity is your thing at the cost of being like a tortoise; then fear is a bad thing. Its my feeling that scientists seem to side with the latter against the former for some reason. And suggestions? Anyway, I say fvck it, bring on the fear, and lets live girls and boys I'll see you in hell very shortly.

""No words""
 67yrs • M •
KaptainKimo is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Fear is a chemical concoction brewed within the brain, fueled by 1 part life experience, 1 part basic instinct and 1 part external influences. We all have similar feelings that can be found in basic instinct, fear of the unknown, fear of lacking basic need such as food, water and air. From the minute we are born the external influences begin to shape and mold our fears which in turn become our life experiences.
My Grandson had no fear of the dark prior to about 3yr old. His experiences with others and their fears soon led to his development of the dark and then on to the fear of the unknown even in a lit room.
The chemical concoction that gives you that flight of fight reaction to fear is similar to the rush we get on a roller coaster or jumping from an airplane for that matter. We become addicted to something that was not an entirely comfortable feeling as we first learned it, but then we sought it out and craved it.
Eventually the over taxing of the body to produce more and more of the chemicals required to give us that same "High" we chased would take it's toll. Results include the inability lead a calm and somewhat more sedentary life as our body's succumb to the effects of aging. Depression often is a result that stems from the withdrawal our brains and body go through when we can no longer supply it with the ever increasing need for those chemicals we produced in response to our "fear factor". Our society and much of the world lives in this heightened state and as they age and become the "leaders" of the world, they make decisions based on their depleted and depressed states. Is it any wonder that so many that were once driven by their "fear" eventually can only rely on fear's closest cousin "anger" when deciding where we are headed as a planet?
Work today to create Safe and Healthy environments for those around you. Ten children raised without the addiction to "fear" can be ten children without "anger".
Don't fear what I have said and don't get mad if it doesn't agree with your thoughts.
These are just mine.

"Here today, Gone tomorrow, so I'm not waiting!"
 41yrs • M •
The science you talk of here sems to be right. The question is, or if we like, the solution, still one of right or wrong. When faced with such problems, science, or the knowledge of how systems work, becomes devoid of the systematic approach and enters in the opinion of a person. For me, it appears confronting fear is one sure way to self-development-overcome it; it no longer exists. Then something else must be produced to have the same emotional feel. IIts like a hurdler having higher and higher hurdles to jump only to come over the other side feeling exactly how they did before but with more effort involved. The constant push for this effort, however, is exactly what is required for us to become greater. And this is where I feel that it is the will of a person, aside from chemisty, to choose or not to choose. Anger is an unfortunate consequence of a limit which has been reached. But hope is greater than anger.

""No words""
 39yrs • M •
eightball365 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Can you imagine a world without the unknown? A world without fear? Without either of these, life simply wouldn't be worth living. If everything was a sure thing, the excitement of life would quickly be depleted. Fear and the unknown keep us in the cycle of life. I think we'd all commit suicide if we knew the outcome of every action. Our very purpose would be fulfilled.

35yrs • F •
curious123 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
fear restricts us from doing what we really want to do and say...

""every advance in knowledge faces us with the mystery of our own being""
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PhilipMui is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fear does not restrict. From fear comes courage. It's the matter of fact how you percieve fear and how you deal with it. Look at modern society today, we're constantly running away from fear which fear orignally was fate which was NOT feared.

"Thy Lovest Soul"
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

quote:
fear restricts us from doing what we really want to do and say...

wise words for an 18 yr old woman, I like it!

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
fear is the root of all problem.. so just love

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 41yrs • M •
'Fear does not restrict. From fear comes courage. It's the matter of fact how you percieve fear and how you deal with it. Look at modern society today, we're constantly running away from fear which fear orignally was fate which was NOT feared.'

Profound and true words.

How do you connect fear with fate?

As for the above posts; if you're brave, and word of warning if you are scared don't watch this, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezmM1WnkbmA

You'll have to watch carefully.

Then reflect.

""No words""
[  Edited by heyjme1 at   ]
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A lot of you seem to equate fear with a high or an adrenalin rush. In our modern world, fear seems to be almost a pursuit for entertainment value like all those really dangerous sports, the fear factor springs to mind. However let us not forget that the actual mechanism of fear is in-built in us for a reason, it is to make us aware of what is threatening to our survival. I f we taught babies ot to fear and it was weaned out of humanity, how would we recognise a threat, any threat, psychological as well as physical? With fear comes experience and wisdom, it alerts us to not accept every life experience or choice as safe and comfortable. If we didn't feel fear or were never threatened we could be happy with slavery for example. A happy slave, unafraid of his master, now that's a scary thought.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
fear served a purpose just like anything else did... im not saying to become ignorant to fear itself but to transend it.. we have got our use out of it.. we learned what it had to teach us.. now as we remember its lessons we can become more evolved

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Rational fear is completely essential for our survival. It is irrational fear that leads us to hate and anger and "evil."

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think that fear is essential for certain aspects of living, because if we didn't have fear of doing something, how else would we know what we're truely capable of doing by overcoming that fear.

but yes, I completely agree with what Wyote said.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ekimup is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Fear helps you find yourself.

It encompasses what it is you dont fear..
Which then lets you know what you should and shouldnt fear.

It helps you find a way to utilize it. instead of it being in question contantly.

"In this world, we are never lacking. Only losing what we have in hope of gaining what we dont."
 74yrs • M •
gem is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Quoting Administrator:

"Rational fear is completely essential for our survival. It is irrational fear that leads us to hate and anger and "evil."

That is true. There are healthy fears and unhealthy fears. The healthy fears are based in our instincts for survival. The unhealthy fears are based in insecurity, ego and pride. Although I do not consider myself a "Christian" It does not escape me that it is written in the Bible that the greatest sin of all is FEAR, because it is from fear that all other sin is derived. I have also noted in the same source a story about Jesus casting "demons" out of a man and how those demons fled into a herd of pigs who then went into a frenzy and drowned themselves in the sea. Jesus asked the demons what their name was, and the reply was "My name is legion, for we are many."

Fears are many as well.

Note my signature line.

Gem

"DON\'T EVER LET ANYTHING SCARE YOU SO BAD THAT IT MAKES YOU HURT YOURSELF"
Fear
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy