Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How does the mind display itself to us?

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't know if anyone has already posted a thread like this... but...
How does the mind, and other body parts, but particularly the mind, display itself to us...
Think about a television, we know all the hardware is there, but concern ourselves with the display of the screen... I think the mind may well work like this...
Such that what would display to us is maybe much more simple and just as easy, or easier, to understand than a study of the anatomy of the brain...
It's like getting a feeling in your mind, you know there's a feeling, but you don't exactly say to yourself that the feeling must come from the limbic system, you just recognise the feeling and use it in your mental work...
I've thought about a few systems about how this display may present, but I have nothing concrete yet.
Has anyone else had this kind of thought, and if so, how does your model of the display of the mind work?

"There is no negative one..."
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Rather a board area, perhaps you should redefine your question within specific parameters?
Fairly common (accepted) consideration in education . . . some are more visually orientated while others tend to be more oral.
Typically, you bring hoome the new toy requiring assembly. Seems as a majority find reading the included instruction sheet & diagrams to hard to understand or to time consumming?
quote:
Oh, by the by do you use a text editor or a wyswyg editor for html?
On the other hand, my sister had twins, who were so alike physically that one had to know them well enough to make distinctions based on attitudes & stance. Yet one had problems with learning, dyslexia resulted in one doing well in school while the other did not, yet both were probably close to equal intelligence?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M •
I guess what I was asking was about the feeling you get from your mind mostly... the display of feeling may well be a little different than what you would expect considering all the anatomy... The question could be answered by someone saying the feeling either matches the anatomy they are aware of, or, does not or may not match the anatomy they are aware of...
Much like the example of the television and us being occupied with the screen, I am asking what is the 'screen' of the mind, what is it like, and what can we hope to know about it, to use it in advancing our self-knowledge?
As to people being more visually or orally orientated, I think the mind would still diplay in a similar fashion in both cases...
Btw, can you please explain the relevance of you quote? I think that's where you lost me...

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
{quote]Btw, can you please explain the relevance of you quote? I think that's where you lost me...[/quote] Ya, know what ya mean your last post left me the same way?
Last thing first, I tend to be more visually inclined, text editors are a puzzle to me, not being good at languages may have something to do with it but I don't make the transition from use of text editor to the spatical relation (view) of the Page.
quote:
I think the mind would still diplay in a similar fashion in both cases...
Interesting, I woke this morning as I lay in bed, my attention was focused on the sounds beyond the walls of my home.
Thinking of about this thread, I realized how the sound of a passing car played upon mind. I could almost see the driver of the small car shifting gears . . . I started to question why? The obvious sounds of small engine would manifest it being a compact but why shifting, I hadn't really heard anything to suggest that it wasn't an automatic transmission? Perhaps a slight falling off as the engine slowed against compression before engaging the clutch? Returning my thought s to the thread, I wonder how would a blind person relate to these sounds? Hmm . . . what does a person born blind see with the eye of his/her mind?
Had 3 major motorcycle accidents, broke my back, wrist & ankle. Strangely, at times it is like the phantom limb effect. When my back bothers me, I may feel a tingling sensation on the bottom of my foot but the sensation is from pressure on nerve running through my spine . . . I think? After all, I did break that ankle the foot is attached too.

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 46yrs • M •
I think I see the connection you're making... my impression is that the user of the mind will highlight and use different aspects of the mind from different points of view, like being more visually inclined...
My question essentially goes a little deeper than that, though... I'm asking what is it that the user of the mind, be it in a more visually inclined mind or not, will have the mind display to themself... One idea I've developed (I must say I have no real proof that it works) is based on some sort of uniformity around the area of the mind, rather than being based wholly around the anatomy of the brain... I guess one thing to note is that I see the body of the mind and the body of the brain as pretty much the same thing... Please correct me if I'm wrong in doing so.
The question again is how does the mind (and/or brain) display itself to us, if this does not follow the relevant anatomy involved?

38yrs • M •
nomeaning is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I have a theory on how and why the brain displays itself to us, our brains use memories to make intelligent advice/decisions which can involve a considerably large amount of information though the brain can execute this extremely fast, our conscious thoughts can't using the same information make the same decisions anywhere near as fast so our brain does it for us then creates simpler messages that our conscious can trust and act upon quickly. If we take for example, imagine yourself driving down a road at 60mph then someone walks out in front of your car – you brake. You didn't have to think about what pedal to put your foot on or how the brakes work and why it is the right decision you just did it, but your brain had to think about it.

"If you can’t / won’t change it, accept it."
 46yrs • M •
I guess what I was talking about was more diagram-based.
Our memories selectively displaying themselves is a good thought, and I'm sure what is displayed happens much like you explained.
However, if you could draw a diagram that describes what action is taking place in the mind, for example, like left brain vs right brain diagrams.
Just taking that kind of model further, to another division of the brain, perhaps to Front Brain vs. Rear Brain.
How far can you take that kind of crude diagram, and how much similarity is there between a diagram like this and what is being dispalyed in our mind?
I do have some ideas here, unfounded on proof they are, and I would very much like to know how other people think about the topic...

38yrs • M •
nomeaning is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Thinking about your diagram idea reminded me of scientific research that displays brain activity in various parts of the brain when different actions were being performed is this sort of thing you mean when you talk about dividing the brain in to different divisions? If so I don't think we can understand what the screen of the mind is by mere thought it's something that requires practical research because all these divisions of the brain simplify information and send it to our conscious, the only division of the brain we can mentally use.

"If you can’t / won’t change it, accept it."
 46yrs • M •
Essentially you are correct, to be sure we would need to scientifically prove what the divisions of the brain would be doing.
But by mere thought we can at least have a hunch, a hypothesis, an idea of what it may be.
It borders on the dangerous to have to much belief here, but, you can think about it and form some ideas.
Part of the scientific process, at least in checking, is what it feels like to us. It needs to feel right.
Do be careful with your faith! But, maybe let the idea live a little (and do share your findings).
I guess a starting point would be categorising thought, and finding areas in the display of the mind we could attribute to such categorised qualities.
One thing to be careful of, is that, they say the right side of the mind controls the left-hand-side of the body and the left side of the mind the right-hand-side. Another thing to be careful of, is that, where one part of your body faulters, another part makes up for it by working harder, and sometimes growing to work that little bit harder.

46yrs • M •
I have noticed something new about how the senses appear to display... Basically some senses are more internal of the mind whereas others are more external.
The hypothesis goes, that, something internal of the mind fills the head when you perceive through a particular sense. When I think of visions, sounds and smells I find they seem to fill my mind (internal).
Something external, is perceived more outside the mind, like when I think of feelings and tastes. It does not fill the mind when you perceive of the external, it fills parts of the body used for that perception.
Do test this yourself and let us know how you go with it...

44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wayback is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I was at a local garden the other day as I looked at a pool of water, I noticed some blossoming flower. the plant was a couple of feet away yet a slight breeze brought a wonderful scent to me. It was hard to believe but I almost felt that I was high or something, the pungent odor of the flora seemed to dominate all my senses!
I stood there with my eyes closed breathing deeply immersing myself in that flaint breeze.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy