Why do we fear the dark when all it does is conceal everything we see when its light? - spankster501
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Death

User Thread
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that FreakishOne is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Death
Is it so far fetched for me to find death more natural than I do life? It makes more sense to me than living does. People feel the need to give living a purpose. It's not often questioned why we do not live forever in our current state. Maybe death to me is nothing more than the hope of finding both solace and answers. Does anybody else feel similar?

"Give me the freedom to destroy"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Disenchanted is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To be honest every day I wish to die. That sounds strange I know, but as far back as I can remember I have felt mentally worn out. I definately won't die by my own hand, but when it happens, however it happens, I will greet it with open arms. Not out of hatred for life or pain, but because I just have a strange feeling that I will finally find what I'm after, whatever that is.

34yrs • F •
Yes, disenchanted, that is EXACTLY what I mean.

34yrs • F •
My purpose has nothing to do with justification.

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
May I ask what answers and solace you are either searching or waiting for? And why wait when life gives you the opportunity to find the answers and solace (if an answer exists).

Embrace death because it's part of the natural cycle of life BUT realise that death may not be a way of finding both solace and answers, but merely a termination of your whole conciousness and whole existence into complete nothingness. I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it. You won't know when you are dead.The only certainty that one has in life is that one day you'll lose it and that death is as common as life. Far better, it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look Death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Ask yourself if you are thinking of security instead of opportunity.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 34yrs • F •
Its not answers so much that I am trying to find, just understanding as a whole.

I am not a big fan of the concept of immortality, either. At least not the way it is exploited in Christianity. But I do not deny the possibility of it's existance.

Even without immortality, matter cannot be created nor can it be destroyed. This is a proven fact of life. So while death may indeed lead to the termination of conciousness, our physical bodies will decompose and rot, and eventually become a living part of the earth.It's amazing, and I like the thought of our bodies being recycled back into the earth. It wouldnt matter if all conciousness was lost because without it there would be no desire to understand.

I like the concept of nothingness.

35yrs • F •
I feel the same Freakish. It's not about finding the answers and being able to revel in them, it's more just completing the circle (if it is a circle) or moving on to the next part of the cycle (if it's ongoing). So far, I have felt that death will be fulfillment greater than anything I can achieve for myself in life, even if I don't remain conscious of it.

If life is futile, death is relief. If life has meaning, death will likely answer us or bring us a step closer to answering ourselves. If life is a process leading to a greater state of being, it is in death that our being evolves. I admit that I am more enthusiastic about death than I am about life, and although I try to enjoy life as best I can and am grateful for it, I am fascinated about what could possibly await me.

35yrs • F •
I think you are reading too far into this Decius.

I do not look forward to death because I see it as an escape. I realize that I mentioned above 'If life is futile, death is relief,' but by that I mean relief from futility, not from pain or feelings of alienation.

quote:
Also, if you close your eyes and meditate for an instant to find that little voice inside you, you'll realize you're scared shitless of death. That nothingness is scary, the bodies rotting is scary. Why it may seem attractive is that being a part of the world, decomposing, returning to the cycle makes you a part of this world, and therefore no longer an alien.

That is fear of dying, not fear of death itself. You're describing the ego perspective, which would of course react with fear. Death is fascinating to me because it could possibly peel off another layer as far as the 'Who Am I, and Why Am I Here?' which is everyone's burning question, but a wild goose chase to pursue in life.

34yrs • F •
quote:
If you feel death will provide more answers than life does, then you are escaping

That does not mean one is escaping. Suicide would qualify as escaping. But feeling that death would be a better source for answers than life has nothing to do with escape.

And of course I do not know all of the answers in life yet. Who does? Who ever will?

But for many of the questions I do have, death seems to be more logical place to find them than life does, only because people have had the same questions since life began, and thus far life has not provided an answer.

34yrs • F •
Maybe we are supposed to spend our while lives trying to figure the answers out, and that is probably what Im going to end up doing.

quote:

Escape, be it in action or fantasy, is escape. But your awareness should tell you at least one thing: you certainly don't know enough about life to decide to worship death.

Since when does extreme curiosity mean the same thing as worship? I dont worship death. I wonder about it.

quote:
I'm not saying death isn't the absolute answer, and isn't beautiful... it possibly is. But I don't think you're ready to appreciate that feeling.

I am probably not ready enough yet to fully appreciate death. I have too much appreciation for life. This doesnt mean that Im not going to have the desire to know what its like. Or to know what comes after. And this does not even mean that I cannot feel that it is more natural than life is. Maybe its the way that my life is being lived, or the way it is being lived by most people that makes it seem so unnatural, and not the actual concept of life itself.

31yrs • M •
browndruid is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Decius, you should not think for a second that you are wiser than disenchanted or freakish-one simply because of age. In fact, if what disenchanted says is true, then I find that it may be quite the opposite.

Disenchanted, your mental weariness and complete readiness for death shows me that you are indeed ready. Of course, that doesn't mean that you should rush into such a thing. That display of a lack of wisdom may indeed cause you to simply begin again. Of course, I realize that I am speaking in riddles, so I suppose that I should explain myself.

I hold to belief, along with a dwindling number of people, that we are reborn each time we die in the Otherworld. The Otherworld is much like this world, with minor, generally insignificant changes. I don't really care if I am indeed living Otherworld right now. It doesn't matter.

The point is, that in each life we live, we gain more wisdom. Of course, we can also lose wisdom. Based on this, we go through different levels. Once we have learned enough, we will advance.

So, disenchanted, I believe that through your weariness and mental weariness, you are now wise enough to advance.

"Someday, I will be guided to that place where everything is surrealistic. Or am I not real?"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think many things of death, while not being sure what's gonna happen...
In a sense it's somthing to look forward to, but so good, it's worth saving for the last thing... not something to rush into... especially when you tend to appreciate most things more the longer you wait for them...
I like the idea that there is an afterlife or a reincarnation in stall for me, but if not, that's okay too ("My work here is done!"
One of my favourite ideas about death is that flash of all your memories that seems to go on forever but takes just a few seconds (if that's how it really works...)
There is so much to do in life... Perhaps we can do some things to death and find them less and less interesting... But some things you never get tired of, like helping someone in a profound way... You just never know when someone needs you in this life...
At the moment, we do appear to deteriorate somewhat in this life, so, maybe it's good there's an end, and sometimes this can be good when it's unexpected, so we're still on the edge of our seats...
Sounds a little too much like I'm talking up death, but most people agree that a lot of things just get better as life goes on... For example, finding out things revelatory about the world and how it works.. and things that just continue to develop over time like complex mental tasks...
One great love of the older generations... Getting to watch your children and grand-children and great-grand-children grow up and being there for them if they need it...
Plus in the age we're in, it's amazing to see what technology is doing...
I think I've made my point... Death could be super, but you probably want to wait for the right time, rather than cashing in your chips early, especially with inflation causing assets to continue to increase in value...

"There is no negative one..."
Death
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy