The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity - SirKohl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Is Budhism a religion or philosophy?

User Thread
 33yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that laneor is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Can you be christian and buddhist ? ( sorry if i make some falts )

[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Buddhism is both a religion and a philosophy. I consider myself buddhist as far as the philosophy goes. A true buddhist imoo is not one who believes in practices but is simply on the way and knows he/she is on "the way". The way being a path to enlightenment which imoo is like taking a round trip to nowhere. This requires nothing at all other than the believe you are trying to become enlightened. You leave on a quest for something only to end up back where you were a little more experienced.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Can philosophy be a religion?

I think it can be.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • F •
This_Is_It is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I was baptized a christian, but i follow the hindu beliefs...in that way, i guess i would be both...although i do not see myself as christian...

In a book i am reading, "Living with the Himalayan Masters" by Swami Rama, Swami Rama is a Hindu, but he believes in all the Gods from all religions...i like that idea. The Supreme Reality shows itself in many different forms. So i dont think it matters if someone wants to follow two, or more religions...

Those are just my personal beliefs though.

"\"The eternal silence of these infinate spaces frightens me\" -Blaise Pascal"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This was the perfect thread for me, rang lots of bells. I love the way you guys are thinking.

I have a very interesting religious background, my mum is Jewish , brought up in a very strict Jewish childrens home in Norwood, London, my dad isn't particularly anything but his family background is church of england, my husband is a Catholic from Cork in Ireland and me? Well, I have looked into pretty much everything since I was a teenager and still am but I was baptised by my local baptist church a couple of years ago and have considered myself a Christian for many years.

However I use meditation as a personal relaxation and contemplative state and am very interested in studying all religions, philosophies and also ancient myths and legends and basically anything that is unexplained, interesting etc. hence the reason this site fascinates me so much.

I don't preach or try to convert anyone to Christianity but if I have a quote from the bible that ever springs to mind as relevant or helpful I may mention it. I am equally likely to quote things from scientific journals or other religious texts.

I suppose in the end I consider myself an open minded Christian. I know I won't make much sense to most people but that's my complex religious beliefs in a nut shell.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 51yrs • F •
l.o.l Decius, I find this quite insulting because by saying you can't be open minded and a Christian, you are in fact saying that I can't be open minded and a Christian. You are not in my mind so you have no idea how open it is. Believe me its prety open. OK YOU can't be a Christian and open minded, that's you not me. "There are more things in heaven and Earth..."

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 51yrs • F •
Oh well, we'll just have to agree to differ here Decius, I can't find a convincing enough argument, I'm obviously not that intelligent. You'd make a great lawyer, or are you one?

58yrs • M •
buggsy is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
if you walk the talk it is religion,if you debate it is philosophy

"chill out"
 51yrs • F •
All I'm trying to say is that I consider myself a Christian, I like to read the bible although I do not consider it the be all and end all of how my life should be because of its historical social context, it was written at a particular time that is not completely relevant for modern life, especially modern family life and modern western women. I do however stick closely to the moral threads, I believe the parables and the beautitudes etc. are good teachings by Jesus and stand whatever time period we are in.

But... and this is where I am saying you can't dismiss my beliefs as not relevant to the question, I do like the ideas of Buddhism. I have not studied Buddhism and so do admit I cannot argue stricktly about its philosophies, but I know it has something to do with finding peace within onesself and with ones environment and uses meditation as a tool to this kind of enlightenment and that is what to some extent I do.

Therefore if that is how I lead my life, how can you say that they don't sit well with one another. I am trying to give you a working example of how I use parts of both in my life, surely that in itself is an argument. Ok its not for everyone and probably most fundamental Christians would say its against Christianity, but we are all individuals who live different lives in different ways and certainly many people nowadays incorporate many different belief systems into their daily lives much as I do.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree with Decius here, simply because what he's saying is, and in fact, rather than opinion, true.

Buddhism teaches learning as a process. Its more of a series of books of knowledge to be expanded upon. Whereas Christianity, particularly the Old Testament, assumes itself more as THE book of knowledge. The first teaches the hunt for knowledge the latter teaches the following of knowledge. In that sense Buddhism is more philosophical and Christinaity is more religious.

As for the effectiveness, numerically there are more christians than buddhists so Christianity is more popular. Whether the one is better than the other, I propose three counts :

quality or

spirituality

or living life

Is up to you. I prefer the Buddhist message on the first and second count. The Christian message on the third count.

""No words""
 51yrs • F •
Ok Decius you said
"Obviously your definition of being a "Christian" is different than what my definition is, and is more different than the average definition of a Christian than my definition is. You should acknowledge such deviations from the norm when you present an argument."
I thought that's what I just did. Didn't I say most Christians wouldn't think I am a Christian. But once again whether I am or am not a Christian is not the issue, the issue is that I believe you can take many things out of a religion OR philosophy and intergrate them into your life. Morals are morals and does it matter which religion or philosophy one's moral life lessons come from?
And Decius there's no reason for you to get aggresive with me. If you are trying to intimidate me with your superior knowledge it doesn't work. This is my opinion and regardless of what others may dictate are the realities of Christianity or Buddhism or any other religious or philosophical belief for that matter I'm entitled to an opinion.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy