Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

God Is Greater Than My Understanding

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe in God very much so but I can't say I understand, I can only hope in what Jesus taught us. You have the dolphin and shark. One is evil and one is righteous. One is smart and one is dumb. They swim together in the same ocean, sometimes they will fight and sometimes they won't. Sometimes the shark wins and sometimes the dolphin wins, and I know that God created both of these and the ocean he placed both of them in. From this I know, it isn't so simple.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This fallacy written above (known as "question begging" ) is most often encountered among untrained superstitious theists who believe in the illogical and the supernatural.

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy"

David Brooks

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I honestly did not understand that metaphor or why it was there. It seemed to have nothing to do with the "point."

Could you exlpain?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 64yrs • M •
Study the dolphin and study the shark and see how the two are so different, yet swim in the same ocean and you come to see that nothing is so simple.

38yrs • M •
Yes a dolphin is a mammal and a shark is a fish and they live within an ecological niche. Its known as genetic diversity. So whats your point okcitykid?

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In an infinite universe, how can you bar any possibilities or be shocked by them?

"The truth will set you on fire"
 64yrs • M •
Summit - you don't believe in God, you don't believe God created the dolphin or the shark, so it wouldn't make sense to you.

This is the religious section.

35yrs • M
Humor us.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 64yrs • M •
Why do people who don't believe in God come here to the religious section to argue with religious people?

Answer that and I might consent to humor you.

38yrs • M •
Because there is no logical reason why you should believe an omnipotent supernatural being created life. We should have a logical reason to believe not a duty. There are many other reasons of course, but that is the main reason in context with this paltry thread. Most believers of the paranormal choose not to understand how to be skeptical and hold such claims up to basic standards of logic and reason. So if you really know that god was a creator of all things, then logically prove it with evidential reasoning and justification without resorting to faith.

Stating that an ideal 'god' made a dolphin and shark to live amongst each other states nothing. A child could have known better. Being omnipotent, God can do anything. Thus, if we ask, "Why are there sharks and dolphins living together?" we could simply say, "Because God makes a shark and dolphin". Since this doesn't explain anything, it must be a strong principle of science to exhaust all other forms of explination before resorting to something that will simply end inquiry. This must be true about life on earth just as much as about the existence of a dolphin and shark. So tell us okcitykid....what is your point in this thread? What are you trying to allude to?

64yrs • M •
A shark is really not much more then a killing machine with hardly a brain operating off of mostly instincts alone.

The dolphin however is a very intelligent animal of whom it is rumored as to have saved some peoples lives and some people have even managed to make friends with them.

They both swim in the same ocean.

The point is that some see right and wrong as a clear cut black and white issue, and those same people, like myself, believe in God and believe that God created all things, and believe that God is perfect.

If God created these things and God is perfect, then right and wrong is not a simple issue.

I was using this as an argument to those who believe that gay marriage should be banned in another forum, but it applies to any right and wrong argument.

I believe that anyone who believes in God who comes to this forum and reads this would understand what I'm saying.

I do not understand how a non believer would be threatoned by my statement.

64yrs • M •
And summit

You can teach me science, but I can't teach you faith.

Just because you don't have faith does not mean that the rest of us have to be the same.

Growing up is understanding that everybody does not have to be like you to be as good as you.

38yrs • M •
Its not about threat. It is simply that the starting post of this thread was kinda vague and misconstrued. Perhaps you should have made it clearer that a shark and dolphin analogy was a metaphor for gay marriage. lol.

Your shark dolphin example is wrong and misleading, and therefore actually contradicts your point that some see right and wrong as a clear cut black and white issue. So if you don't mind I will correct your statement.
quote:
A shark is really not much more then a killing machine with hardly a brain operating off of mostly instincts alone.

A shark is not a "mindless eating-machines". Two ways by which intelligence is commonly measured are brain size (relative to body weight) and learning speed. Sharks have brains comparable in size to those of many birds and mammals; lemon sharks can learn to navigate a maze as fast as rats. Many shark species possess powerful problem-solving skills, social complexity and curiosity. Sharks have even been known to be involved in playful activities (a trait typical to animals like whales or primates). Now isn't that interesting....learn something new every day don't we...

35yrs • M
quote:
I do not understand how a non believer would be threatoned by my statement.

I can assure you that I am not threatend by the idea of God, simply wanting the truth. And as summit said, your post wasnt really helping, hence the qeustions.

Off-topic, I cant understand why someone that does believe would be threatend by a non-believer.

What atheist has ever commited crimes as the religions that have been mentioned in other threads? Christians, Muslims, religions with one god. Atheist are the least threatening people, yet the most dangerous people are the ones that often get the most threatend.

Why is that?

64yrs • M •
This really wasn't supposed to be about homosexuality, but cover lots of things - but oh well.

Here is the post in its intirety:

quote:

In Africa a whole race of people is being wiped off the face of the earth, three year old children are having their arms chopped off just for the fun of it. While you or I would never justify this, obviously it has been justified by a world that stands by and just lets this happen.

I know this has nothing to do with homosexuality, I guess I'm just venting a frustration. These MAJOR religions are doing just what about this? To the Mormons, their most important agenda item is pushing through a constitutional ban on same sex marriage. (I give up on them). I ask the missionaries, what about global warming? The entire environmental movement wants to know why the Mormon church is literally silent on this? They said they would get back to me on that and never have.

If you watch Al Gores Movie "Inconvenient Truth" you'll see what the media has failed to tell us, we are in trouble. Next year, whether you see the movie or not, you'll see, without a doubt, we are in trouble. One of the first commands we were ever given was to care for the earth, and we have failed.

I believe in God very much so but I can't say I understand, I can only hope in what Jesus taught us. You have the dolphin and shark. One is evil and one is righteous. One is smart and one is dumb. They swim together in the same ocean, sometimes they will fight and sometimes they won't. Sometimes the shark wins and sometimes the dolphin wins, and I know that God created both of these and the ocean he placed both of them in. From this I know, it isn't so simple. Don't be surprised when you see the Lord extend his hand of salvation to a homosexual and to those who persecute homosexuals and it will somehow then all make sense.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy