Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Burn up or freeze to death?

User Thread
 78yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jim Colyer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I recall Al Gore's book about the environment. It was so technical, it was unreadable. It was funny when George Bush 41 referred to Gore as "Ozone Man" because of his preoccupation with the ozone layer. I have read the ozone layer repairs itself. Maybe. The big issue with Gore is global warming. This is the tendency for man-made carbon dioxide to trap heat in Earth's atmosphere. The fear is, the earth will be heated to a point that its polar caps melt, inundating coastal cities. Unchecked, Earth could become a hell like Venus although we would be dead long before. The problem I have is that geologists say we are between Ice Ages. If another Ice Age is inevitable, might not global warming serve as a device for heating the globe? Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere may trap the sun's energy and prevent glaciers from flowing north and south to drive the planet's population toward the equator. It sounds crazy. We are trying to figure out whether we will burn up or freeze to death, whether we are going to drown or die of thirst because all the water is locked up in ice. If global warming is taking place (and apparently it is), I am not sure it is an entirely bad thing. It got pretty cold in Nashville last winter. If it is a bad thing, I am not sure that man in his ingenuity will not find a remedy. I stay mainstream.

"Jim Colyer wrote Save The Planet."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well the problem is that it is a very very long time between ice ages. Even at that in order for one to happen the planets temperture needs to be right but with global warming going on it probablly wont happen therefor at our rate we will burn up unless we do something then if humanity is still around when it comes time for an ice age we just boost the temperture some to keep the planet stable.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Here is the deal with global warming - we don't know.

As far back as we can go, we have never had this much CO2 in the atmosphere, so we're guessing - but we're not guessing that life on plannet earth is going to get better.

My guess is that we better lower those CO2 levels.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy