The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. - Amarant Coral (Final Fantasy IX)
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Independent Realization V.S. Absract Teaching

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lets make a few assumptions here.

1. Decius has learned all that he knows all alone and never had anyone helping him along the way. Ofcourse he learned because of other people, but he never had anyone helping him clarify his thoughts.

2. I have learned all I have because someone directly taught me.

I was wondering, is it better to realize things on your own with out the help of others? And do you think itis possible to ever fully understand something when you do NOT figure it out all on your own?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Not another Decius related thread. Everything I know I learn from books. My idea of education is self-education. Some people have a more oral, "proactive" style of learning. As Decius quite rightly says, the only measure of how good each method is their relative success.

45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Praetor is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Everything I know I learn from books.

So you have no common sense or any other type of way to learn or pick up on things? If you touch a pan and it burns you, will you keep touching it untill someone tells you its hot and will burn you?

quote:
My idea of education is self-education.

So you will continue touching the hot pan until you tell yourself that the pan is hot? If you didn't know that in the first place, the only way would stop touching it is either dumb luck, or to go look it up in a book if pans tend to be hot.

Locke strikes first Decius. Now we wait to see what Demonthenes might say.

"What's the point in not conforming, if it changes you?"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You're better off doing both. You can't realize everything by yourself. When you come to a realization yourself, you may feel more convinced than if you witnessed it on someone else or learned it from a book, but it depends on the circumstances.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Disenchanted is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If you're told not to lick metal poles in the winter time because your tongue will get stuck, you'll either respond with "okay, I won't" or "I doubt that would happen to me" (I tripple dog dare you!!). But until you experience it, you'll never have a full understanding of what it's like to have your tongue stuck to a pole.

Deep.

Street smarts are generally gained through personal experience, while complicated mathematics usually need to be explained. So it really depends on what is being learned, but I think it's best to have both. It's one thing to know something, but another to really understand it.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy