Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Need to rid myself of nail-biting habit

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've tried the bitter nail-polish and chili peppers. They taste sweet to me now. I've tried plain resolutions. I tried putting bandages on every day. I tried to worry about public humiliation but I'm too self-centered to care about that either.

I'm thinking of trying what's called aversion therapy where I would associate biting my nails with something I really hate. For example, someone who wants to stop drinking coke will try to clearly picture cockroaches coming out of the can instead of soda, thus avoiding the drink altogether.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There has to be a change at the unconscious level. It is tricky to train your brain, and you'll have to really force yourself in order for it to work. Aversion therapy will only work if you can truly place a terrible image in your mind every time you go for a bite. You could also simply imagine immense pain every time, but again your brain must associate nail biting with something that you absolutely must avoid. Over time the conscious thought of something terrible will be placed in your unconscious, but it could take quite a while. If you want to stop biting, you'll stop.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • F •
It's pretty tough to do that though. I've tried, but its become like an addiction. I can stop for a say or two, but by day three, I'm breaking down. It's become an obsession that's extended to subconscious. Last year, I was obsessed with chipping off the paint in my old room and couldn't stop until I couldn't chip away anymore (luckily, I moved.)

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • F •
It's not that easy. I've been able to give up other bad habits, one being the compulsive need to organize, through "rearrrangment" of priorities (It doesn't matter whether my notes from are put into labeled folders as long as they're there). I knew where that habit came from (my mother.) But I don't understand my obsession with nail-biting or chipping paint of walls. I think it may have some connection to my perfectionism because the symptoms are similar.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In the great words of Dr. Phil: We don't get rid of our habits, we simply change them.

My guess is all of your compulsive behavior has been redirected to your nail biting habit.This would explain why stopping has been so difficult. Maybe you should try to switch your nail biting into another more constructive activity. Every time you want to bite, pick up a book and read instead. Changing a habit is hard work no doubt, but it can be done.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Harper Lee is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Maybe you could try rewarding yourself with something you really enjoy or like...at first in small intervals...say after one morning of not biting you get to have reward (i. e small chocolate at lunch)..but if you do bite then something is taken away that you like......(i.e no chocolate at lunch). If you want to try it, it is important to find a reward you will feel motivated to achieve and one you'll miss if you bite. If this works make the intervals longer and longer and if need be change the rewards and punishments if you find you're lacking motivation after a while.
Also maybe get a close friend or family member involved to cheer you on.

41yrs • F •
rican1982 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
One way to stop, is to keep ur fingures freshly dunked in Viniger and Salt!
Put two cups out 1 w/vinig.., the other salt, everytime u pass the cups dunk your Finguretips in!
WARNING!! If u bit ur fingure nails down to nitty gritty, be prepaired to get burned!!

"Get -Um !!"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy