Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Lessons In Humility

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lessons In Humility
Dear members of CC

Recently I have been informed that I am a dillusional idiot in need of lessons in humility.

As I have stated many times before in these forums, I have been waiting for an adiquite judgement.

So please.
What are these lessons?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You are far to brash. Your methods of debate are ineffective and purposefully intimidating. You appear to be selfish in your pursuits whether they pertain to yourself or others. Although you may see others perspectives, you rarely put yourself in anothers shoes. For whatever reason, you feel you are better than most and regardless if that is true or not, this mindframe only blockades your potential as a humanitarian. Instead of truly learning from diversity first, you choose to refute minuscule differences around every corner you turn.

Lessons:

1. calm the fuck down when you are challenged
2. focus
3. become more mindful of your surroundings
4. focus
5. let go

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M
quote:
You are far to brash

Ok. I'll take that.
quote:
Your methods of debate are ineffective and purposefully intimidating

Now, this is the part where you do a shit load of assuming. Ineffective? Hardly.
Please. Tell me how I am ineffective when every single thread I have ever been apart of has been fully developed multiple times, and many times I am the one who gets it back on topic.
For instance. The one about Pagan Religion Being Devilry.
I answered the quistion perfectly.
That little kid kept going on about.
So I answered it again and again using defferent words everytime so that he might get the point.
I talk to people on their level.
Decius. I talk to him on his level, or I at least give it an honest try, so that he can understand me.
The same with others.

Now, if by intimidationg you mean I always start one of my "ineffective rants with the word "now", and you mean that when I use cuss words so frequintly is purpously intimidating. It isn't. It is simply the way I talk.
And if the lesson I am supposed to learn by this is that I sould change myself for others as much as a possibly can, something Decius stated earlier, I will have to deny that lesson. And not for my lack of humility, but for my own reason.
That, as Decius stated earlier, I do not fully understand who I am yet, and if I change myself now, not know what the fuck I am, that I could possibly be doing something I will regret later.
And that is hardly a lack of humility, simply a causcious way to grow.
I might be les causcious if there was something I could fall ack on, but there isn't. So I have my reasons.
I am not simply beinmg a dumbass. Hence me elling youthat you assumed a lot there.
quote:
You appear to be selfish in your pursuits whether they pertain to yourself or others

I am seventeen. Why should I try and teach somebody things that I do not fully understand myself?
I am in this to learn. Doing anythign else would be irresponsible on my part as a human.
On a more personal note, you have no idea who I am. I do plenty of things out of selflessness. Maybe not on these furoms, but these are not your ususal furoms. I use the stuff I learn here in real life. So if you tll me that I need to be hum iliated, I will assume you also mean in real life.
So when youbase this conclusion on shit that you have yet agained assumed, I do get defensive. \And there is nothing un-humiliated about not being a passive person.
quote:
Although you may see others perspectives, you rarely put yourself in anothers shoes

A simple refusal tot hink that I know what is going on when in actuality I have no proof of anythign whatsoever.

Sorry.

quote:
For whatever reason, you feel you are better than most and regardless if that is true or not, this mindframe only blockades your potential as a humanitarian

My cocky attitude may come off as I beleive I am better than most, but when I tell you that I do not think I am better than most, and give you reasons, you should at least take it into consideration.
And who said I was in this to save others? I'm am trying to save myself.
quote:
Instead of truly learning from diversity first, you choose to refute minuscule differences around every corner you turn.

Ok. This came straight out of your ass.
WTF?
What diversity?
There is hardly anythign cultural about this. Its the internet..
Maybe thats not what you meant, but as I have stated before, I am not that intelligent and you should be speaking on a more lamens term of conversation.

Now. To the lessons.
quote:

If by calm down you mean don't post so long.^^^^
I have to. Decius did not like it when I stayed layed back and gave a little hint of what I meant.
If that isn't what you meant, please, restate it in a different manner. Becasue that could honestly mean a lot, and if I am blind to teh problem, which is apperently the case, there is no need for you to talk to me in a confusing and suggestive manner.
There's a lesson for the adults.
quote:
2. focus

This has nothing to do with humility, and if it does, explain.
quote:
3. become more mindful of your surroundings

Thanks, that one will actually help. Thank you.
quote:
5. let go

Once again, passivsim and humility are far from the same.
But still, I let a lot go.
And most of them are the sudtle things that I am told I point out around every corner.

If this seemed in an upset tone. It was not.
Keep in mind our surroundings.
If that seemed insulting, it was.
And the reason why I insulted you is so that you could so the difference between me insulting you, and you getting insulted.
Becasue most of my insults are sudtle and not easy to catch.

And see again, after i insulted, I told you why instead of making you guess.
There's something else for the adults, tough you wyote are not really guilty of that.

Thank you for the advice.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
[  Edited by awakendwraith at   ]
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
when I use cuss words so frequintly is purpously intimidating. It isn't. It is simply the way I talk

It's still intimidating.

quote:
and if I change myself now, not know what the fuck I am, that I could possibly be doing something I will regret later.

There are people who reach middle-age and still don't know who they are. How long will you wait until you start to change?

quote:
My cocky attitude may come off as I beleive I am better than most, but when I tell you that I do not think I am better than most, and give you reasons, you should at least take it into consideration.

Being cocky isn't being humble, no matter how great you really are. You can be confident, but sometimes you cross the line and become cocky.

quote:

Everyone gets defensive and angry when a statement is made that he/she disagrees with. Try this. If I said that you were stupid, what would your immediate reaction be, versus a reaction you would give a week later? When you go for the immediate reaction, you (and anyone else) tend to say stupid things (compared to what you would say a week later.)

AW, you admit your mistakes. You're honest. You're not scared to be humble. I think your biggest problems are your cockiness (you think you're better thatn most people) and your brashness. But it was mature of you to start this thread. Maybe we should all start one like this cuz its more useful than the criticism of CC members thread.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
ok AW, i really didnt believe you would take any sort of criticism to heart, but since you've asked.

1. i believe your methods of debate are ineffective simply due to the fact that they do not promote change. yes they get your own personal point across. yes things (usually) have a flow to them. yes many things are resolved. yet there is rarely any influence or impact. you seem to think you are a "master debater" but you clearly are not. fine tune your skills, there is always room for improvement. thats all im saying.

2. never use age as an excuse for something. its good you recognize that you have much to learn. there are people of all ages with a wide range of degrees in selfishness, the least you can ask of yourself is to try to improve.

3. my comment about diversity had little to do with a cultural aspect. people are different. they learn differently, percieve differently, behave differently. you seem unappreciative of this and often critical of others ways of thinking.

4. by "calm down" i was referring again to your brashness.

5. you obviously have a lot of energy in your head and with your thoughts, but again you tend to leap before you look. if you give your thoughts intense focus and stillness you will become an even more effective thinker.

i tell everyone to be more aware of their surroundings, all the time. i also tell people to let go. if you can become in a sense detached from what you percieve as reality, while maintaining awareness.... you can learn much. the fact that all you could do was make fun of me for such statements says a lot about your character.

while not saying anything directly, youve still managed to belittle me and put yourself up on a pedistal, which is something you appear to make a habit of. you were doing quite well with all of your responses right up there until the end, when things fell apart.

35yrs • M
quote:
simply due to the fact that they do not promote change

So I need a lesson in humility becasue I think I make a difference?
Because that is the only thing that makes sense. Because if you are telling me I am a bad member of this site because I don't promote change, I wan't you to name someone who does.
Nobody.
The only change Decius instigates are ones with only someone in his power could do. And that is all.

quote:
there is always room for improvement. thats all im saying

No, that is not all that you are saying.
You are saying that I think I am the shit, and have no room for improvement.
This is far from fact.

quote:
never use age as an excuse for something

I didn't use it as an excuse, I used it as a reference point.
I am seventeen. That is why I am not ready to help others.
Thats not an excuse, it is fact.

quote:
you seem unappreciative of this and often critical of others ways of thinking.

Really?? Hmm.... See, I thought when I started typing correctly that was a clear indication that I was keeping others in mind.
My bad. I should have been more obvious.

Yes. That was me getting irritated.

quote:
if you can become in a sense detached from what you percieve as reality, while maintaining awareness.... you can learn much

This is a pathetic, sad, given up way to live and I refuse.

quote:
while not saying anything directly, youve still managed to belittle me and put yourself up on a pedistal, which is something you appear to make a habit of. you were doing quite well with all of your responses right up there until the end, when things fell apart.

You are insecure. Either that or blind to my obviousness.

I did it so you could see it.
It was VERY direct.
quote:
If that seemed insulting, it was.
And the reason why I insulted you is so that you could so the difference between me insulting you, and you getting insulted.
Becasue most of my insults are sudtle and not easy to catch.

Did you even read this part?

I was trying to teach you a lesson.

And you were too busy thinking I was trynig to belittle you to catch it.

I am not trying to do that.
There is a huge difference between me insulting you and you getting insulted.

The quote up above is me insulting you.
Nothing else in the post was insulting.
If it sounds like I think I am better than you, in all honesty, and humility, I think you should take into consideration that maybe I am.

And taht the only reason why you feel I am talking down to you, is because YOU think I am.

I honestly do not beleive that one bit, but I bet you never even took it into consideration.

Anywho.

The only thing I learned is that I can be intimidating.
And I do not see how humility has to do with that if it is a natural thing.

35yrs • M
And I failed miserably, because I am seventeen and imidiatly judged as a smartass.

See. I am learning.

40yrs • M •
"I was trying to teach you a lesson.

And you were too busy thinking I was trynig to belittle you to catch it."

ok the problem here is that you feel i need to be taught a lesson. i understood it, see it, took it in wholly. but this "lesson" you want to teach me is useless and irrelevant. it's a basic concept. you think im an insecure idiot. you probably think a lot of people are insecure idiots. while i see your logic in this, i also see the fallacies in that logic. your wording in this lesson of yours does in fact belittle me. it does not bother me, but i attempted to point it out to you because obviously you dont feel that it is belittling. this is the root of your lack of humility. your inability to utilize adulation and insult effectively.

Lessons In Humility
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy