Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The science of a mother's love

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is no stronger human-human relationship. The child does nothing for mother until later in life, but she still takes care of her child from birth until whenever. Has science explained this phenomena?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
NPR explained a new discovery that might be the reason. Cells from the baby enter the mothers bloodstream and stay there for the rest of her life and it has been found that when the mother becomes ill, these cells will multiply and it is believed that they help her heal. It is also believed that this the reason for that special bond between mother and child.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There are many reasons for the maternal bond. I'll just start with the following.

In the majority of birds and mammals, the young become heavily attached to their mother. For example ducklings follow the mother duck and primates cling tightly to the mothers belly. In each case, if the mother and child seperates this leads to considerable stress. The young give distress calls, continuously until the mother returns. The biological function of this connection is personal survival. There is little doubt that in our early evolutionary history that a motherless young would have died early- from starving, predation or exposure.

Ok so the biological function for the young is personal survival. But for the mother it is genetic rather than personal, because unless her young don't reproduce later in life, the mother's genes will perish.

Natural selection has equipped the infant with a set of stimulus features that function as releasers of maternal feelings. Such as the cues that define 'babyness' (as stated in the 'what defines cuteness' thread). These characteristics help ensure that adults will react to the infant in a protective and nurturing behaviour.

There is a built-in fear of the unknown and unfamiliar, which drives most young to huddle with a very familiar object, most likely the mother. The mother is not only familiar but she also holds specific stimulus properties that are important for her young. This built in fear is a simple survival trait. If you want to know more about it- its called Bowlby's theory of attachment. This need to cling may occur when the fearful stimulis comes from the parents. Its odd but true. Young who are punished by their parents may become even more clinging and dependent on them.

The mother provides food and warmth. Studies with rhesus monkey's have suggested that the infant loves its mother, not because she feeds it, but because she provides 'comfort'. Teddy bears and cuddly objects serve as the same function- kids will clasp their toy tightly when threatened.

Thats just a start, i'll write some more later, I just didn't want the post to be too long

"The summit is just a halfway point"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy